Dream Sequences and Flashbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

M. Frebronze

Bon Vivant
Registered
Reaction score
So my novel, as most of you know, is a supernatural thriller. The main character is a sorceror (mage, wizard, whatever). One of the big things that comes with the magic is an eidetic memory. This means I am opening up my MC's past and history by using dream sequences and flashbacks.

However, as I understand, this method is frowned upon.

So my question is, how many is too many? Since the novel is first-person past-tense, isn't it basically being told as a flashback, anyways?

Errant Lobe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
So my novel, as most of you know, is a supernatural thriller. The main character is a sorceror (mage, wizard, whatever). One of the big things that comes with the magic is an eidetic memory. This means I am opening up my MC's past and history by using dream sequences and flashbacks.

So my question is, how many is too many? Since the novel is first-person past-tense, isn't it basically being told as a flashback, anyways?

I applaud you for what you are doing, and I wish you a speedy sale on your manuscript when it is completed.
The very thought of going through a dream sequence in my reading choices makes my blood curdle; and, no, not in a good way.

I also can't stand Free Verse.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
This means I am opening up my MC's past and history by using dream sequences and flashbacks.
My problem with dream sequences is that they seem too 'on-the-nose'. The dream explains, points out, reminds, etc, in every way acting as a really annoying mentor, the character's own subconscious spoon-feeding the character information exactly when needed. This is not helped by the fact that most dreams aren't really relevant or interesting, so when a dream is described, or a character remembers the whole thing, exactly, in perfect, comprehensible detail, it's a huge, honkin' signpost that 'THIS IS IMPORTANT'. Again, leading the character, and the reader, by the hand.

So my question is, how many is too many? Since the novel is first-person past-tense, isn't it basically being told as a flashback, anyways
How many flashbacks were you planning? How much time is the reader expected to spend reading backstory and history instead of the actual story? Sometimes 'telling', especially if it's the character itself who's doing the 'telling', can be better than re-enactments (showing).

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Agree with everything frimble said. If you're going to spend significant time in flashback, I want those flashbacks to have their own plot etc. - for them to be a complete story. That could be each one as a short, or connecting many of them together

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

No, first person, past tense is not a flashback, it's just a person telling us about his past. This is not what a flashback is.

It is, however, assumed that every first person narrator has an eidetic memory, unless the writer deliberately sets the character up as an unreliable narrator.

So the real question is why try the story through dream sequences and flashbacks when you can simply tell it the same way other first person. past tense novels are told? What do these things bring to the story that you won't have without them?

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
What do these things bring to the story that you won't have without them?
JAR asks a good question. How much of what you want to reveal really needs to be done in a flashback?

Agree with everything frimble said. If you're going to spend significant time in flashback, I want those flashbacks to have their own plot etc. - for them to be a complete story. That could be each one as a short, or connecting many of them together
Yes to this approach. It gives all of those scenes greater import if you can knit them all together.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> This means I am opening up my MC's past and history
> by using dream sequences and flashbacks.

There is nothing wrong with using dreams and flashbacks or even prologues as long as they are an integral part of the plot. More often than not those are used to explain a character's behavior or a situation, a method akin to forcing readers to go through the story's User Manual
. It's a low tension trap. Readers are smarter than we think and can fill in gaps in a character's past by tracking its behavior in the present given the proper cues.

The secret to avoid that trap in the first place is to make sure you use the past as the source for the present conflict and that your POV character is strongly engaged in that event or memory.

-cb

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Just my personal reaction here, but I hate dream sequences and skip them when they turn up. For me, the problem is that, like dreams in my own life, they have no real, external consequences. They're usually a way of telling the reader something that could probably be communicated in a tenser, more lively way in the character's real life.

M. Frebronze

Bon Vivant
Registered
Reaction score
My character's past is incredibly traumatic -- and is the baseline plot to current events in his life. Everything relates back to what happened before, and his past is constantly haunting him, in vivid, realistic dreams and solipsism. I do not believe I can accurately produce the proper level of tension without at least the memories. I think, however, that I can streamline them -- chronologically, and only when they are important to the main plot (not subplots).

Is this a better idea?

M. Frebronze

Bon Vivant
Registered
Reaction score
I've actually decided what I'm doing for sure to fix all problems. Mods can lock or remove this thread. Thanks, all, for your input! :Hug2: You're all awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.