PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for promoting ebooks in the flesh?

greendragon
08-12-2015, 07:17 PM
I have my first ebook novel coming out in October, with a small press publisher. I'm excited! I've got two ebook travel books.

I do a lot of art shows/celtic festivals/etc., selling my jewelry and photos. At those shows, I have one hard copy of each travel book, and business cards with the website to buy them. It works pretty well.

But what about the novel? I can have a hard copy, but it's not filled with pretty photos like the travel books are. Would the same approach work as well? My novel is historical fantasy, set in Ireland 1846, and my photos are mostly from Ireland, so there is a definite tie-in to my art.

I'm going to be printing some swag once my cover is finished - bookmarks, pens, mugs, maybe. Notepads? Other ideas for giveaway freebies?

Super_Duper
08-12-2015, 07:30 PM
flyers?

greendragon
08-12-2015, 09:47 PM
I've thought about postcards, but flyers are less expensive :)

michigangirl
08-15-2015, 01:39 AM
Bookmarks are always good! Since you have ebooks, you might want to think about printing QR codes that link to a site where people can download your book.

greendragon
08-17-2015, 04:51 PM
Good idea, that, thanks!

michigangirl
08-17-2015, 10:27 PM
No problem! :) Congrats on your upcoming publication!

greendragon
08-18-2015, 12:13 AM
Thank you! Now just to find a place that makes bookmarks at a reasonable price... and maybe pens?

CowgirlKacy
08-18-2015, 12:41 AM
I'm not sure, but a website like Vistaprint might do something like that. I've never ordered bookmarks, but they do a great job on other types of advertising.

Katharine Tree
08-18-2015, 12:45 AM
Golly, it's a situation in which I'd beeeeeg my publisher to get a POD paperback of my book into existence, so I could haul a dozen (or two dozen!) copies around with me.

Given that a paperback is largely out of your hands, though ... shiny business cards with the book's cover on one side and your name, the title, and a super simple link on the other.

greendragon
08-18-2015, 12:58 AM
I checked out Vistaprint, as I do business cards through them, but didn't see a good option. :(

I do plan on begging my publisher to allow at least a sample copy to have at my art show booth. People like to TOUCH.

MarlynnOfMany
08-28-2015, 12:25 AM
I just started another thread on bookmarks at OvernightPrints.com; I'd definitely check them out!

And if you can't get a physical copy another way, BookBaby will print a single copy if you supply the file.

greendragon
08-28-2015, 01:18 AM
Oh, good prices! Thanks for the tip!

frimble3
08-28-2015, 10:08 AM
A flyer with a picture of the cover on the front, and a flyer-sized sample inside? A 'Look Inside' sized sample, so people can get the feel of the writing. I know I'd rather have a few actual pages of the book than a few quotes and the back-blurb.

greendragon
08-28-2015, 03:29 PM
Hmmm... yes, I could do an excerpt instead of a blurb :)

knowthyreader
09-04-2015, 05:30 PM
The thing is, there are many people that will accept anything if it's free, regardless of what is printed on it, and you might find yourself handing these freebies to those types of people.