PDA

View Full Version : General western animation discussion thread

maxmordon
08-12-2015, 10:48 AM
Instead of starting another thread about another show, I thought of following the cue from the General Anime Discussion Thread and start a space to talk about those crazy cartoons we are watching.

I'm a huge fan of Adventure Time, Steven Universe, The Venture Brothers, Gravity Falls and Clarence. I also deeply love Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra, though I admit the latter was somewhat uneven.

Last weekend I binge watched through the first season of Rick and Morty. It can get very cruel for my taste but overall I enjoy the imagination they put on the science fiction plots. It makes me a bit nostalgic of Futurama but they really push the envelop and is hard to tell where they will land.

Also, loved how they skewered the classic "ironic punishment" trope in one episode by not only having Rick (basically a derranged Doc Brown) calling out how accepting free stuff from a mysterious antique store from a guy who clearly is the devil (basically Mr. Dark from Something Wicked This Way Comes) is obvious and silly but leading him out of business by "de-cursing" said objects with science, taking off the whole raison d'etre from them.

So far I enjoy the second season far more and feel the characters and plots have evolved and the show has found its footing, which I'm pleased.

And you? What are you watching?

Liosse de Velishaf
08-12-2015, 07:00 PM
I haven't watched much Western animations recently, mostly because I dislike the art styles. Perhaps I'm just out of touch with the modern cartoon connoisseur. I like Korra's animation. I liked, say, Doug, and Justice League, and Hey Arnold, and X-Men, and Static shock. I really dislike Rick and Morty, Steven Universe, and even Adventure Time, though I like AT as a show. I'm not a huge fan of the Venture Brothers as a show, though it's tolerable, but I don't mind the art nearly as much as other shows these days. I concede Rick and Morty has some good writing, and I agree it reminds me a lot of Futurama, which I loved. Perhaps I'm just shallow.

Brightdreamer
08-12-2015, 07:17 PM
I haven't watched much Western animations recently, mostly because I dislike the art styles.

I have trouble getting past the art styles of modern TV animation, too. Some of them sound fun, but the art just looks so sloppy, crude, and generally ugly compared to what I remember growing up. But, then, I always was picky...

Maggie Maxwell
08-12-2015, 07:18 PM
Aww, yeah, now this is my jam.

I am about as picky as a five-year-old when it comes to cartoons. I'm not watching anything at the moment because I don't have cable, but when we did, I devoured shows like The Venture Brothers, Metalocalypse, Adventure Time (and online, Bravest Warriors), Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Futurama, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Samurai Jack, Chowder, The Misadventures of Flapjack, and Sym-Bionic Titan (cancelled far before its time). I've got fond memories of most of the old Nicktoons (Rugrats, Doug, Aah! Real Monsters, Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold, etc) Freakazoid, Animaniacs, Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, and classic Cartoon network shows like Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Lab, too. I've heard good things about Rick & Morty, Gravity Falls, and Steven Universe and want to try them, and one of these days I'm going to finish Avatar and watch Korra.

I am not a deep and thoughtful cartoon watcher. I just really, really like cartoons.

shortstorymachinist
08-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Avatar: The Last Airbender is on a pedestal for me. I don't think I'll find another animated show I like more.

Latina Bunny
08-13-2015, 12:56 AM
I love, love, love animated shows and animated movies! :)

Some of what the other posts have mentioned, especially the 90s/2000s shows, were some of my favorites.

Some off the top of my head:

Recess; Hey, Arnold; Rugrats; Powerpuff Girls; Dexter's Laboratory Catdog; Animaniacs; Batman: The Animated Series; Batman Beyond; Batman: Gargoyles; Disney's Aladdin and Little Mermaid tv series; Teenage Ninja Turtles (80s);

to more recent-ish stuff like:

Teen Titans (not Go!); Brave and the Bold; Young Justice; Avatar: Last Airbender; Legend of Korra; Green Lantern (the short lived CGI tv series); Phineas and Ferb, and now, Regular Show, and Gravity Falls.

I also enjoyed that really short mini-series, Over the Garden Wall. That was somewhat weird and trippy (in a good way), lol.

I recently saw a few short eps of The Bare Bears or something like that on Cartoon Network. Looks like a comedy thing like Regular Show, so far. I loved Regular Show, so I'll watch out for this new series.

I haven't finished Legend of Korra, but I have the DVDs now, so I can finally binge on it. One of these days, after binging on several other things. (Right now, I'm binging on Inazuma Eleven which is an over-the-top soccer anime, Haikuyuu, which is a volleyball anime, and Miss Fletcher's Murder Mysteries, an Australian murder mystery series set in the 1920's on Netflix.)

My sibling's watching a few series. One is called Steven Universe, and the other is Adventure Time. Also watches Gravity Falls together with me and other sibling.

Shadow Dragon
08-13-2015, 12:23 PM
Always been a huge fan of animation in general, western and eastern. For western cartoons it'd be a toss up between Ren and Stimpy, and Rocko's Modern Life. For Rocko, it was about the writing, and how it was a brilliant parody of modern life (well, modern life circa 1990s). The type of show that gets funnier and more relatable as you get older. It also had a knack for getting adult jokes past the censors, like the time Rocko became a phone sex operator.

For Ren and Stimpy it was all about the sheer insanity of the episodes, and the feeling that anything could happen at any time. Also, I absolutely love how many different facial expressions are used in it -- John K., the creator, prided himself on not reusing the same ones.

Aside from those you have the great super hero cartoons (Teen Titans, most of the Spiderman cartoons, most of the X-Men cartoons, Justice League, Young Justice). A lot of the Nicktoons from the 90s aged well, and some of the Adult Swim cartoons have been great.

On current running cartoons, I'd say Adventure Time is the best. The scale and lore of the series is simply amazing. Gravity Falls and Star Vs The Forces of Evil are great too. Also a fan of MLP: Friendship is Magic. It's probably the best animated of the current cartoons. The things DHX can do with flash are simply awe inspiring. Especially in seasons 3 through 5.

Maggie Maxwell
08-13-2015, 05:34 PM
Oh goodness, can't believe I forgot Rocko and Teen Titans. Yes, those were and are fantastic shows.

Was anyone else "forbidden" to watch certain cartoons as a kid? My mother absolutely did not want me watching Ren & Stimpy or the Beetlejuice cartoon. Ren & Stimpy I kinda understood, but I never got her distaste for Beetlejuice. I got away with watching it anyway, but I wasn't allowed to.

Latina Bunny
08-13-2015, 05:41 PM
Oh goodness, can't believe I forgot Rocko and Teen Titans. Yes, those were and are fantastic shows.

Was anyone else "forbidden" to watch certain cartoons as a kid? My mother absolutely did not want me watching Ren & Stimpy or the Beetlejuice cartoon. Ren & Stimpy I kinda understood, but I never got her distaste for Beetlejuice. I got away with watching it anyway, but I wasn't allowed to.

Yup. Nickelodeon cartoons, in general, for a long time. Not that I would watch some of them, because some looked a little gross or crude to me. (Though some did end up growing on me as I got older.) But my mon did allow us to watch certain shows like Rugrats. We just can't watch stuff like Ren and Stimpy, for example. (My parents would watch the shows a little bit before.)

Liosse de Velishaf
08-13-2015, 08:24 PM
Courage the Cowardly Dog had a somewhat sketchy animation style, but it worked so well with the plot/themes/atmosphere that I loved it. Bill and Mandy was also fantastic. Dexter's Lab rocked. Sym-Bionic Titan had nice art, but I found the characters bland and the plots dull.

tiakall
08-13-2015, 09:55 PM
I have trouble getting past the art styles of modern TV animation, too. Some of them sound fun, but the art just looks so sloppy, crude, and generally ugly compared to what I remember growing up. But, then, I always was picky...

Hooray, I'm not the only one! To me, there's a difference between having a sketchy or distinctive art style for a show, and just being poor quality. Like, most of the stuff on Fox isn't my jam, but at least the animation is smooth and consistent. (Adventure Time actually surprised me in this regard, because looking at the stills, it looks low-budget, but having seen bits of a random episode in a bar, it actually animates well.)

I've been meaning to catch MLP when it's on TV, but I can never seem to start at the beginning. And Avatar (both of them) is something I'd really like to see, too.

Maggie Maxwell
08-13-2015, 10:04 PM
I know we're not far in the thread, but I just realized no one's said the Simpsons or Family Guy yet. Oddly enough, I've only ever seen one episode of the Simpsons. I love Futurama, but for some reason, the Simpsons never drew me in. Family Guy was hit or miss.

Brightdreamer
08-14-2015, 07:27 AM
I know we're not far in the thread, but I just realized no one's said the Simpsons or Family Guy yet. Oddly enough, I've only ever seen one episode of the Simpsons. I love Futurama, but for some reason, the Simpsons never drew me in. Family Guy was hit or miss.

I far prefer Simpsons and Futurama to Family Guy; the latter just seems to be a series of vaguely-connected events and one-liners (including material I really didn't find funny - but the ep I saw was on Adult Swim, which I by and large detest, so maybe it wasn't representative of the show in general.) Simpsons has gone in that direction, too, and suffered as a result.

LOG
08-14-2015, 07:40 AM
I have inspired someone! My life is complete.

American Dad is better than Family Guy I think, but neither has the tight writing you find Futurama or (early) Simpsons. Still, I don't think they're bad until you reach the later seasons.

Latina Bunny
08-14-2015, 07:47 AM

My family and I aren't into most adult animation. We grew up on kids stuff.

However, we did enjoy most of Simpsons, early Futurama, and the early few seasons of Family Guy.

We love Simpsons because of the family aspect. (We love family stuff.)

Family Guy was good at first, then it got more and more gross and less funny over time. It just felt random and very immature. We felt sorry for Meg and Lois later on. We didn't like how they were both treated by the other characters and the writers, especially in more recent seasons. My parents felt that Meg was really getting emotionally beaten up more than usual in the later seasons. Oh, and my mom was really squicked by Brian having human lovers, lol. :tongue

shivadyne
08-14-2015, 08:48 AM
i haven't been watching too much on cable tv lately, but i love animated shows.

some of my favorites would be teen titans (yeah, definitely not go!), steven universe, earth's mightiest heroes, danny phantom, avatar the last airbender, scooby doo, the powerpuff girls, chowder, grim adventures of billy and mandy, kids next door, randy cunningham: ninth grade ninja, and star vs the forces of evil.

yeah, my tastes are a bit all over the place... i probably forgot, like, a lot of shows, but those are the ones that came to mind at least.

Latina Bunny
08-14-2015, 08:51 AM
i haven't been watching too much on cable tv lately, but i love animated shows.

some of my favorites would be teen titans (yeah, definitely not go!), steven universe, earth's mightiest heroes, danny phantom, avatar the last airbender, scooby doo, the powerpuff girls, chowder, grim adventures of billy and mandy, kids next door, randy cunningham: ninth grade ninja, and star vs the forces of evil.

yeah, my tastes are a bit all over the place... i probably forgot, like, a lot of shows, but those are the ones that came to mind at least.

Yeah, I forgot some as well. OMG, how could I forget Scooby Doo, Danny Phantom (I had a crush on Danny), and Kids Next Door, lol!

Oh! And Star Wars The Clone Wars (the CGI one), too! :)

shivadyne
08-14-2015, 09:04 AM
Yeah, I forgot some as well. OMG, how could I forget Scooby Doo, Danny Phantom (I had a crush on Danny), and Kids Next Door, lol!

Oh! And Star Wars The Clone Wars (the CGI one), too! :)

i almost forgot scooby doo, too, which is strange because i used to be obsessed with it. i feel you on having had a crush on danny, though i also had a bit of a crush on sam. :P

Latina Bunny
08-14-2015, 09:10 AM
i almost forgot scooby doo, too, which is strange because i used to be obsessed with it. i feel you on having had a crush on danny, though i also had a bit of a crush on sam. :P

Sam was awesome, too. :) My siblings were totally into that series until the last season or two...something to do with a female Danny or sister or something like that?

JimmyB27
08-14-2015, 03:31 PM
I was recently overjoyed by the addition of Danger Mouse to Netflix.

LOG
08-16-2015, 08:52 PM
Rewatching RWBY.
So good, though it's a very different aesthetic from just about any other medium that I've ever seen.

Shadow Dragon
08-17-2015, 07:28 AM
Yeah, RWBY turned out to be a pretty interesting series so far.

On the topic of internet cartoons made in the west, Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse has been surprisingly good. It's great for a quick laugh.

phantasy
08-17-2015, 08:11 AM
Yay, a cartoon thread! :)

Gosh, I was such a serious cartoon watcher as a kid. In the 90s, I'd wake up super early every Saturday for the cartoons, sugary cereal and sibling-less quiet. If there was a cartoon on, I pretty much saw it. On Fox, WB, ABC, etc. I'd start from 7:00 all the way to when Soul Train came on. I also watched the Disney afternoon stuff, everything on CN and all this great nicktoons. I really miss those days and thank them for my imagination. As a kid, I imagined myself in shows all the time.

So, a thumbs up to every cartoon mentioned in this thread so far! I don't think any recent cartoons are even anywhere near as good as they used to be. The last one I followed was Korra and it was something of a disappointment, no where near as good as its predecessor, even though it was written by all the same people. It lacked emotional punch and the storylines ran too fast. Plus the characters just didn't bounce off each other as well as Avatar.

My favorite cartoon is the classic Simpsons, seasons 3-10. I wished they'd put it to sleep years ago because they frankly ruined the Simpsons brand. But whatever, the new stuff still a heck of a lot funnier than Family Guy or any of its spin offs. I'm just not sure who is still watching the show.

Btw, no one had mentioned Angry Beavers yet. One of my absolute favs. I can't believe this show isn't a cult classic for all its oddities and word-stretching. Seriously, if you haven't seen it, please do. You'll be pronouncing things like Norbert and yelling "spoot!" in no time.

phantasy
08-17-2015, 08:17 AM

You really should watch the old Simpsons seasons if you haven't. They're far more clever than the new stuff and so many lines are applicable to life. I recommend seasons 4-7 for the very, very best.

Maggie Maxwell
08-17-2015, 05:40 PM
Btw, no one had mentioned Angry Beavers yet. One of my absolute favs. I can't believe this show isn't a cult classic for all its oddities and word-stretching. Seriously, if you haven't seen it, please do. You'll be pronouncing things like Norbert and yelling "spoot!" in no time.

I mentioned Angry Beavers, but to be fair, it's buried in my giganto-list at the beginning. It was a great show. A lot of old Nicktoons were fantastic. The day I stopped watching Nickelodeon was the day they released Spongebob. Not for any particular reason, I just remember watching the premiere and going "eh" and never really looked back.

Ooh, another great not-yet-mentioned: The Tick! SPOON!

Cyia
08-17-2015, 06:29 PM
Recess was an awesome show - cartoon or otherwise, as was Animaniacs, which was a lot smarter than most kids can appreciate until they're older. Batman: The Animated Series and Batman Beyond were gorgeously drawn and inked. Gargoyles needs a live action movie, since Disney's all about the live action cartoon interpretations at the moment.

I used to devour 80's reruns of Bravestarr and The Bionic Six, but my favorite cartoon as a kid was Danger Mouse, an offbeat British spy-themed import. Our station would play one segment of an episode at each commercial break, forcing you to watch the whole Saturday morning block if you wanted to see the entire episode.

CheG
08-17-2015, 09:08 PM
Any Sophia The First fans out there?? I freaking love that show!

I haven't watched anything in a long time but I do like Adventure Time, Stephen Universe, MLP: FiM, Sophia the First (obvs), and I don't hate Gravity Falls, I just don't LOVE it. It's fine, it's good.

On the network adult side Family Guy (it's not as good as it was but the first 7 seasons or so I LOVE and could watch in rerun forever), American Dad, Bob's Burgers. It took me a long time to warm up to that show, but I like it now. And Archer!

jlmott
08-17-2015, 10:51 PM
I only started watching animated tv in the past few years because of my son, and have generally been impressed by the quality of the animation and writing, especially compared to those Hanna-Barbera ones I used to be glued to in the early 70's. We especially appreciate Gumball, Clarence, Regular Show, and Adventure Time (at least until it became a little too trippy for my tastes). Loved the Legend of Korra as well, just gorgeously drawn, but Avatar: The Last Airbender had one of best story arcs of any series. Still cannot forgive M. Night Shamalan for what he did to it :rant:.

Shadow Dragon
08-18-2015, 12:57 AM
I only started watching animated tv in the past few years because of my son, and have generally been impressed by the quality of the animation and writing, especially compared to those Hanna-Barbera ones I used to be glued to in the early 70's. We especially appreciate Gumball, Clarence, Regular Show, and Adventure Time (at least until it became a little too trippy for my tastes). Loved the Legend of Korra as well, just gorgeously drawn, but Avatar: The Last Airbender had one of best story arcs of any series. Still cannot forgive M. Night Shamalan for what he did to it :rant:.
From what I've heard, M. Night isn't really to blame for how that movie turned out. His original idea for it was supposed to be decent. Not saying it would have been great, but it certainly wouldn't have been god awful. However the producers changed a bunch of things and stuck him with horrible actors (some of which were related to the producers, I think). They killed any potential the movie could have had.

And on the onto the king of western animation, have you guys seen the new online Mickey Mouse animated shorts? They've gotten pretty experimental with the style, to the point that you would never guess it was Disney. And in one episode a little while back they had Scrooge McDuck, voiced by the same guy that voiced him in DuckTales: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkbw0kvtYt4

Ravioli
08-18-2015, 12:58 AM
Saw the trailer for The Lion Guard today. Disney has officially retroactively ruined The Lion King. Lazy animation, horribly lazy and obvious copies from previous scenes, and then some.

Latina Bunny
08-18-2015, 01:26 AM
Ever watched a cartoon or show that was cut short or cancelled early or ended after a season or two? I hated when that happens, lol.

I enjoyed Young Justice, Green Lantern: The Animated Series, and Legion of Superheroes before they ended after a few seasons.

I had such a crush on Brainiac 5 and Superboy in the Legion of Superheroes (http://losh.wikia.com/wiki/Legion_of_Superheroes_Wiki), I must admit, lol. And Chameleon Boy, too. And Razer (http://gltas.wikia.com/wiki/Razer) in Green Lantern: The Animated Series. <<--Links to fan wikia websites

phantasy
08-18-2015, 01:45 AM
Ever watched a cartoon or show that was cut short or cancelled early or ended after a season or two? I hated when that happens, lol.

Yes! Invader Zim. 10+ years later, and I still weep over that show. Dark, hilarious, amazing style. I loved it so much I read the scripts that were never produced. Speaking of, I need to rewatch it.

phantasy
08-18-2015, 01:52 AM
The day I stopped watching Nickelodeon was the day they released Spongebob. Not for any particular reason, I just remember watching the premiere and going "eh" and never really looked back.

Lol, you keep not liking things I love, which is totally your right, but interesting. You move on too quickly, my friend.

I loved the first few seasons of spongebob. I still quote it with my younger siblings. Everything before the movie was great, then they changed directors and it's been downhill since. I really recommend old season's quirky humor.

phantasy
08-18-2015, 01:57 AM
And on the onto the king of western animation, have you guys seen the new online Mickey Mouse animated shorts? They've gotten pretty experimental with the style, to the point that you would never guess it was Disney. And in one episode a little while back they had Scrooge McDuck, voiced by the same guy that voiced him in DuckTales: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkbw0kvtYt4

I think they're a breath of fresh air and love how quirky they are.

Chumplet
08-18-2015, 03:25 AM
Also a fan of MLP: Friendship is Magic. It's probably the best animated of the current cartoons. The things DHX can do with flash are simply awe inspiring. Especially in seasons 3 through 5.

My daughter has been working on that show, along with other DHX shows for the last 3 years. She is familiar with Flash, and is a big fan of Classic animation. She is comfortable with being a Key Layout Artist, and has introduced her own "versions" of ponies in the background during crowd scenes, mostly from favourite video games. Recently, she has been called upon to design new human characters for Transformers: Rescue Bots. So proud of my kid!

Chumplet
08-18-2015, 03:29 AM
There are so many different versions of animation style in the last ten years or so, given the introduction of Flash and CG, etc. Even with the older styles, the writing and concept are key to a great fan following. I've watched lots of newer animation shows due to my grown children being fans. I was a Bugs Bunny and Disney freak, and we exposed our kids to animation all the time. It's a great medium, whether it is fun, silly, or poignant.

Chumplet
08-18-2015, 03:37 AM
From what I've heard, M. Night isn't really to blame for how that movie turned out. His original idea for it was supposed to be decent. Not saying it would have been great, but it certainly wouldn't have been god awful. However the producers changed a bunch of things and stuck him with horrible actors (some of which were related to the producers, I think). They killed any potential the movie could have had.

Holy crap; that was GREAT!

LOG
08-18-2015, 09:18 AM
I've been contemplating watching Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, and Adventure Time.
I actually started Adventure Time, but I just kind of dropped it and never picked it up again . . .

I've heard of Sofia the First, but I haven't really heard anything to recommend it. Is it like an even more kids-friendly version of Kingdom Hearts?

Maggie Maxwell
08-18-2015, 05:42 PM
Lol, you keep not liking things I love, which is totally your right, but interesting. You move on too quickly, my friend.

I loved the first few seasons of spongebob. I still quote it with my younger siblings. Everything before the movie was great, then they changed directors and it's been downhill since. I really recommend old season's quirky humor.

It didn't have anything to do with Spongebob itself. I just recall that that was the day I didn't go back after. It was a few years before I went back to TV at all, actually. *checks Wikipedia* Yeah, okay.
Nickelodeon held a preview for the series in the United States on May 1, 1999, following the television airing of the 1999 Kids' Choice Awards. This is what I watched. I'd already been winding down, but I remember for some reason I watched to watch the KCAs but I was "meh" on them too. It wasn't "oh god this is horrible never again." I think at that point I was into Pokemon, Card Captor Sakura and was starting to get into other animes, so I was reaching the "japanese cartoons are better" stage of cartoon-watching (grew out of that eventually.)

My daughter has been working on that show, along with other DHX shows for the last 3 years. She is familiar with Flash, and is a big fan of Classic animation. She is comfortable with being a Key Layout Artist, and has introduced her own "versions" of ponies in the background during crowd scenes, mostly from favourite video games. Recently, she has been called upon to design new human characters for Transformers: Rescue Bots. So proud of my kid!

That's awesome!!

Latina Bunny
08-18-2015, 05:49 PM

That's so cool! :)

If you don't mind me asking, how did she get into that line of work? Did she need an art degree or somthing? I'm curious because my sibling and I used to want to become animators or work in an animation studio, when we were younger, but we never knew how that works.

Melanii
08-18-2015, 06:24 PM
I recently watched a few episodes of Powerpuff Girls! And also, I've been making my boyfriend watch Teen Titans.

I grew up watching Rugrats, the Simpsons, Dexter's Lab, Freakazoid, and Totally Spies, etc. I love Ed, Edd, and Eddy too! The premises of Adventure Time and Steven Universe *seem* interesting, but I don't have cable, so meh. Also, I agree with most of the art styles of today's animations. So crude and gross. Actually, I think those were the words I was looking for in my head whenever I happen to see something similar on TV in public.

CheG
08-18-2015, 08:50 PM
I've heard of Sofia the First, but I haven't really heard anything to recommend it. Is it like an even more kids-friendly version of Kingdom Hearts?

I haven't played Kingdom Hearts so I don't know if Sophia the First is like that or not. The only thing I can say to recommend it is that it''s sweet and adorable. it's definitely a little, little kid show. But Sophia is very kind and helpful and a good person which is missing in media SO OFTEN today!

On the hand- Anyone else watch BoJack Horseman on Netflix?? It's pretty damn funny! And I was surprised at how good it is (no, not the animation) but the story lines and personalities and they set up the world in some surprising ways. There is an episode devoted to where chicken comes from that is horrifying.

Chumplet
08-18-2015, 09:31 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how did she get into that line of work? Did she need an art degree or somthing? I'm curious because my sibling and I used to want to become animators or work in an animation studio, when we were younger, but we never knew how that works.

She went to Sheridan College in Oakville, which has a great 4 year Animation BA degree program. The students work as teams, and find out what they want to specialize in. Some lean toward computer animation and gaming, but she aimed for classic 2D, yet worked with a Cintiq tablet, hand drawing her characters. The fourth year was entirely dedicated to making a 3 minute animated feature, solo. She used original music that my brother wrote and performed for the piece.

At the end of fourth year, they have a Industry Day, where they set up booths and show their animated piece to representatives from all the major studios. DHX saw her MLP fan art, and her animated short, exchanged cards with her and called her during the summer to hire her for the autumn.

Then off she went to Vancouver, with one of her classmates who also got a job on the MLP project.

Tora Uran
08-19-2015, 06:03 AM

Yes, the last time that happened with me was Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, which has been the only Avengers animated series I have been able to watch. It's really sad because it was mostly cancelled because the new head of Marvel's TV properties at the time wanted a new Avengers series more aligned with the movies and brought in another group of writers for the last half of A:EMH so they can make it more episodic and focus on the four main male characters, because of course who would be interested in any of the female characters. /sarcasm

Liosse de Velishaf
08-19-2015, 07:13 PM
As an example, "Ed, Edd, and Eddy!" had a weird art style, but it worked so well for those characters and the show as a whole. A lot of the modern weird styles don't gel with the characters and show for me the way Ed, Edd, and Eddy! did. I don't know why, really. But that's how it feels.

maxmordon
09-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Hey, peeps! Have anyone watched BoJack Horseman? I keep hearing great things about it, but the clips I have seen don't convince me.

I'm watching some of the early seasons with my little sister and I was surprised how thought-provoking yet amazingly hilarious and witty they were and how, overall, they shaped my worldview and I'm thankful for making me ask questions at such age that otherwise I would not be able to think on myself.

I liked the early seasons of Family Guy but it just became too mean and excrutiating. Nowaday, from Fox, I mostly stick to Bob's Burgers.

I mentioned Angry Beavers, but to be fair, it's buried in my giganto-list at the beginning. It was a great show. A lot of old Nicktoons were fantastic. The day I stopped watching Nickelodeon was the day they released Spongebob. Not for any particular reason, I just remember watching the premiere and going "eh" and never really looked back.

Ooh, another great not-yet-mentioned: The Tick! SPOON!

One of the things that stuck with me from the Angry Beavers was their parody to old B-movies with such characters as Oxnard Montalvo and El Grapadura. To this day, I'm surprised they haven't revived The Creeping Liver as a meme.

The Tick was awesome. One of the showrunners went on to do The Venture Bros and The Tick creator also wrote a couple of episodes.

She went to Sheridan College in Oakville, which has a great 4 year Animation BA degree program. The students work as teams, and find out what they want to specialize in. Some lean toward computer animation and gaming, but she aimed for classic 2D, yet worked with a Cintiq tablet, hand drawing her characters. The fourth year was entirely dedicated to making a 3 minute animated feature, solo. She used original music that my brother wrote and performed for the piece.

At the end of fourth year, they have a Industry Day, where they set up booths and show their animated piece to representatives from all the major studios. DHX saw her MLP fan art, and her animated short, exchanged cards with her and called her during the summer to hire her for the autumn.

Then off she went to Vancouver, with one of her classmates who also got a job on the MLP project.

She seems to have an amazing career. No doubt you're proud, Chumplet!

I still miss Mission Hill and hope it get resurrected, as good as it was, somehow. Either by science or magic.

Shadow Dragon
09-07-2015, 06:25 AM
Just thought of one, Clerks: The Animated Series. It was really good but cancelled after like six or seven episodes.

LOG
10-16-2015, 05:09 AM
Been watching Steven Universe. Really good show. I like its take on relationships and its got great storytelling (though with some potential pitfalls).

maxmordon
11-06-2015, 08:53 AM
Is anybody else excited with Gravity Falls at the moment? What has happened in the latest episodes makes me super excited, but kinda wary if this means the show is ending.

maxmordon
12-02-2015, 11:50 PM
New Samurai Jack season on Adult Swim and helmed by Tartakovsky himself! (http://www.avclub.com/article/samurai-jack-return-cartoon-network-next-year-229189)

This sounds too good to be true!

Maggie Maxwell
12-03-2015, 12:01 AM
New Samurai Jack season on Adult Swim and helmed by Tartakovsky himself! (http://www.avclub.com/article/samurai-jack-return-cartoon-network-next-year-229189)

*excited unintelligble gibbering*

Chumplet
12-03-2015, 05:13 AM
Hey, peeps! Have anyone watched BoJack Horseman? I keep hearing great things about it, but the clips I have seen don't convince me.

My son introduced me to that show just a couple weeks ago, and I am hooked. It started off rather awkwardly, but smoothed out in later episodes.

She seems to have an amazing career. No doubt you're proud, Chumplet!

Thank you! They seem to like her and give her more responsibility, but she doesn't want to become a supervisor because that would mean she'd lose her "hands on" status.

Calla Lily
12-03-2015, 05:20 AM

I have been squeeing like a teenage fangirl since I heard this! SQUEE!!!!

BenPanced
12-03-2015, 05:42 AM
Is anybody else excited with Gravity Falls at the moment? What has happened in the latest episodes makes me super excited, but kinda wary if this means the show is ending.

Yeah, creator Alex Hirsch has said that Weirdmaggedon 3 is the final episode. He wanted to keep the story contained to the summer Dipper and Mable live with Grunkle Stan with a definite ending, rather than dragging it out longer than necessary.

Ravioli
12-03-2015, 11:59 AM
I just wish to hate on The Lion Guard real quick for ruining The Lion King with utterly loveless animation and an art the average fan on deviantART could do a better job...

Shadow Dragon
12-04-2015, 02:31 AM
I've been rewatching the first Avatar series. It's really amazing that they didn't try to make the war into a good guys vs bad guys thing. They showed that there were plenty of decent people in the Fire Nation, and that quite a few that fought against the Fire Nation had become monsters in their own right. This is a level of nuance you don't see in most adult media, let alone in cartoons originally aimed at a younger audience.

Shadow Dragon
12-10-2015, 06:48 PM
The newest Mickey Mouse short had a great Pinocchio cameo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNT8T58G3f4

I can understand if the artstyle turns off some people, but the writing is brilliant.

maxmordon
12-11-2015, 01:17 AM
Yeah, creator Alex Hirsch has said that Weirdmaggedon 3 is the final episode. He wanted to keep the story contained to the summer Dipper and Mable live with Grunkle Stan with a definite ending, rather than dragging it out longer than necessary.

I'm sad about it, but I respect why he did it. Though I feel it could have pulled another season and still avoided thinning itself out.

I've been rewatching the first Avatar series. It's really amazing that they didn't try to make the war into a good guys vs bad guys thing. They showed that there were plenty of decent people in the Fire Nation, and that quite a few that fought against the Fire Nation had become monsters in their own right. This is a level of nuance you don't see in most adult media, let along in cartoons originally aimed at a younger audience.

Avatar: The Last Airbender is far smarter and better written than most mature dramas I can think of. It's so beautiful and just... perfect.

I haven't liked much of the latest Disney short batch, but I must admit this one was pretty good.

BenPanced
12-11-2015, 05:09 AM
The newest Mickey Mouse short had a great Pinocchio cameo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNT8T58G3f4

I can understand if the artstyle turns off some people, but the writing is brilliant.

Also a great parody of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

(And I like these newer ones more than many of the originals I've seen.)

maxmordon
12-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Also a great parody of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

(And I like these newer ones more than many of the originals I've seen.)

IMO, they were pretty bland with the exception of those Goofy instructional videos.

Shadow Dragon
12-18-2015, 09:24 PM
There was a great animated short released as part of a college project a few years back, and then made its way around the internet called The Backwater Gospel. Definitely worth a look by anyone that likes animation. Though just as a warning, it does get pretty dark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVkDrIacHJM

LOG
12-30-2015, 01:51 AM
Been rewatching Danny Phantom.
It's decent. I'm somewhat dreading season 2, I just can't recall why . . .

Otherwise just waiting for RWBY to pick up again.
It'll have been 3 weeks since the cliffhanger by this weekend . . .

maxmordon
12-30-2015, 06:13 PM
Been rewatching Danny Phantom.
It's decent. I'm somewhat dreading season 2, I just can't recall why . . .

Didn't one of the creators dropped in either Season 2 or 3, causing a noticeable drop of quality?

I got Seaons 7 and 8 of The Simpsons and I've been marathoning the hell out of it. Funny enough, season 8 is when I start noticing the drop of quality, having some episodes I swear I calculated on Season 10, at least.

LOG
01-11-2016, 05:58 AM
I found the Steven Bomb quite good. It was a nice series of episodes to string together.

maxmordon
01-11-2016, 09:40 PM
What is this bomb-thing going on? I saw earlier today someone mentioned AdventureBomb on AVClub.

LOG
01-15-2016, 11:31 AM
What is this bomb-thing going on? I saw earlier today someone mentioned AdventureBomb on AVClub.

Sorry for the late reply.
A Steven Bomb is when multiple, new SU episodes are released back to back over the week. So we got 5 new episodes last week.
I imagine an Adventure Bomb is the same concept for Adventure Time.

Ravioli
01-27-2016, 12:35 AM
Simba, the King Lion.
People on Amazon feeling cheated because it's not the Disney movie. LOL. But still, is this some kind of joke?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHGTigaAqQk

maxmordon
01-27-2016, 03:50 AM
Simba, the King Lion.
People on Amazon feeling cheated because it's not the Disney movie. LOL. But still, is this some kind of joke?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHGTigaAqQk

Not at all, my friend. There are entire industries based on the hope your grandma will pick the wrong DVD from the sale-off bin in your favorite department store. Believe, this is actually well done compared to Ratatoing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpyRCUmNvRE) or anything Dingo Pictures ever made (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBdvkjK92-Y).

Shadow Dragon
01-27-2016, 04:00 AM
Not at all, my friend. There are entire industries based on the hope your grandma will pick the wrong DVD from the sale-off bin in your favorite department store. Believe, this is actually well done compared to Ratatoing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpyRCUmNvRE) or anything Dingo Pictures ever made (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBdvkjK92-Y).
It's also far better than The Little Panda Fighter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8s-agVDrEg

maxmordon
01-27-2016, 04:42 AM
It's also far better than The Little Panda Fighter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8s-agVDrEg

Haha! That's actually from the same Brazilian studios who did Ratatoing. They also did The Little Cars and The LIttle Toys.

Shadow Dragon
01-27-2016, 06:27 AM
The Amazing World of Gumball did a parody of those ripoff moves that mostly focused on Ratatoing and The Little Panda Fighter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIJkXlOzvWw

Shadow Dragon
02-14-2016, 04:12 PM
They released a preview of the new Powerpuff Girls series: https://www.yahoo.com/tv/39-powerpuff-girls-39-sneak-peek-nobody-1362454695542838.html

Honestly, not a big fan of the new animation style. And the original suffered from seasonal rot, which will be hard to get rid of if they don't do something to change up the formula a bit.

Ravioli
02-20-2016, 11:43 PM
Anyone remember this scene? Wait till Hare does as Hare does. Back when I was 9, I laughed because his tiny violin was mean in a funny way. Now that I'm 32, I'm laughing because it's horrible in a cruel way.
https://youtu.be/H0VaAES0J20?t=1h9m24s

Ravioli
03-01-2016, 12:09 AM
I just watched The Lion Guard, and I haven't had a second of fun. Just sat there groaning, sighing, and shaking my head at how Disney desecrated a gem such as The Lion King.
It's so embarassing I'd never watch it again in the company of any sentient human being.

Kiara has been completely rewritten and is suddenly proud of being forced into her position of future queen and she's stuck up and arrogant and a damsel in distress, not like the cute, ditzy, feisty cub from the movie at all.
When ‪Kion‬, the main character and ‪Kiara‬'s brother, roars, cloud lions appear and he gets a tattoo. All his friends get the same one. That is so silly it's not even cute anymore.

The dialogue is reduced to repeating silly foreign language catch phrases for kids to repeat without knowing what they're saying, like Ai carumba or something, and "Circle of life!" and "Protect the Pridelands!". Basically, the same things are said over and over and over for lack of quality writing budget I suppose.... Oh, and the line to be repeated about a bazitrillion times over: "The fiercest, the bravest, the strongest, the fastest, and the keenest of sight!!!!!!!!!!!1!1one" because apparently, Disney's current writers can't establish something by saying it once in 45 minutes. Or are kids these days so easily distracted they need it repeated over and over?

The art is so horrible, so lazy, the average fan ‪‎artist‬ on ‪‎deviantART‬does better, and that's saying something. Really, it's awful. Pretty much all of Nala's shots have been traced as you can recognize every last one of her facial expressions AND angles. They don't bother with foregrounds or grass covering moving objects anymore, so everything floats. Proportions are off. In the same shot, they managed to tolerate one paw being twice as big as the other.

Scenes are also ‎recycled‬. There's ‪Timon and Pumbaa‬ raiding a log full of bugs and commenting on the food. Simba whining about the Circle of Life. Rafiki announcing it is time. Baby lion whining about the Outlands and how daddy told him not to go there. Hyenas are all over Kion's friend and he goes, "Why don't you pick on someone your own size?". Hyenas plot to grab as much food as they can by causing a stampede. A baby lion is hiding from said stampede while a bird is trying to locate her. There was no real danger for Kiara, mind you, so that plot point was invalid, because she was hiding behind a huge boulder and the gazelles had no way of hurting her unless they went out of their way to do so.
The only thing done well, was Mufasa's ghost. Oh wait, the "Sky ghost Mufasa! Please don't go!" thing was in a previous movie too, wasn't it?

Basically, ‪Disney‬ took a wonderful legend and minced and diluted it over and over until it had about as much left of its original flavour as a glatt kosher burger patty. Very sad.

tiakall
03-01-2016, 05:46 PM
I saw The Lion Guard in a Wal-Mart the other day - read the back cover, then rolled my eyes. I guess the last movie wasn't popular because they had a girl as the lead and now they felt the need to replace her?

Glad to hear it's as terrible as it looked. My crap movie radar is really on point lately.

Ravioli
03-01-2016, 08:57 PM
Am I dreaming, or did they really steal fan art for the cover and rate it 16+?
http://www.prdisk.ru/cartoon/%D0%A1%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B6-%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%B2

Shadow Dragon
03-05-2016, 02:05 PM
Finally got around to watching Over the Garden Wall, and dear jebus does it live up to the hype it got. For those that don't know it, it was a dark fairytale miniseries that aired on CN back in 2014. Ten eleven minute episodes in total, so the whole thing is the length of a movie. It was about two kids getting lost in some magical woods and running into all the strange things going on, including a dark beast that's stalking them the whole way, wanting them to eventually give up and surrender to hopelessness. Would definitely recommend watching it.

Shadow Dragon
03-14-2016, 03:56 PM
Watched the first season of Legend of Korra. I can kinda see why there was a small divide among avatar fans with some not liking the newer series. Even going beyond the change in avatar and surrounding cast, it's fundamentally a very different type of series. Last Airbender was a massive adventure against a nation that was nearly impossible to defeat head on. Meanwhile LoK is about the avatar protecting a city against her rogue's gallery. Comparing them head to head would be like comparing Lord of the Rings to Batman: TAS.

Overall, I did enjoy the first season. Korra has a strong, expressive personality, and was very believable as a newbie avatar that hasn't experienced many challenges yet. For the most part her companions were good too, and not just clones of Aang's party. Animation was great. Most of all, Amon is simply one of the best villains in the entire franchise.

That said, there were a couple issues. First that comes to mind is the love triangle. The problem isn't that there's a love triangle, it's the fact that it was barely explored and the bits of drama that came from it felt almost like padding. Rather than adding to the overall experience, it was just kinda there. Then again, some of the romance parts of the first Avatar series weren't that great either. I'm going to say that's a weak point among the writers of the franchise. Also, I think it kinda hurt the ending of the season a bit. Bit of a spoiler: I would have wanted to see more of Aang and Korra interacting rather than that being rushed and then getting a Korra and Mako moment. And yes, I know what the endgame is as far as the romantic subplot goes. A slow build up to that would have been better without the love triangle.

The pacing was also a bit of an issue. It felt a little rushed during the second half of the season. Seems like the flow would have been better if the conflict bled into the second season, though I can't fault them for wanting it to end at the season's ending to give a strong season finale.

While it wasn't as good as the first season of Last Airbender in my opinion, it's still a solid action series. I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10. And as a side note, Asami is my favorite character so far.

maxmordon
03-14-2016, 06:33 PM
I'm saddened they got rid of Ammon so quickly.

Shadow Dragon
03-27-2016, 02:51 AM
MLP: FiM had it's season debut this morning. More lighthearted than the finale of last season, and fairly entertaining. The new baby was pretty cute, and I enjoyed Starlight Glimmer and Sunburst's interactions.