PDA

View Full Version : Editorial Reviews

Arpeggio
08-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Do you have experience with these?

1. How many do you have?
2. Where from?
3. Paid for, or in exchange for a review copy?
4. How much do they help sales?

Arpeggio
09-07-2015, 02:46 AM
*bump* OK well, they must mean something. These books by the big publishers have quite an arsenal under the "Editorial reviews" section:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0439023521

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385737955

Captcha
09-07-2015, 05:00 AM
I think they mean less on Amazon, but more to the audiences of those particular review journals. I don't have any editorial reviews for my self-published works, but have a fair number for my trade published books; it's nice to have something from a known source on the Amazon page, I guess, but much better to think of the subscribers of the various journals reading the reviews and considering my books.

Arpeggio
09-08-2015, 11:07 PM
I think they mean less on Amazon, but more to the audiences of those particular review journals. I don't have any editorial reviews for my self-published works, but have a fair number for my trade published books; it's nice to have something from a known source on the Amazon page, I guess, but much better to think of the subscribers of the various journals reading the reviews and considering my books.

Thanks for the input. I see you have plenty of these reviews on your website, but when looking on Amazon I can't see any of them. As far as Amazon, perhaps many customers without experience of a particular review journal make assumptions of some sort of bias. Disappointing that customers see less merit in reviews from verifiable source / ID.

This might explain some of it:

http://www.bizreport.com/2015/07/online-reviews-consumers-seeing-stars-not-content.html

"credibility is not important for consumer decisions" (I find that frustrating)

Polenth
09-08-2015, 11:33 PM
I've said this on other threads, but I guess people might not see it on other threads. I have one editorial review from Publishers Weekly. It was free. It doesn't seem to do much for sales. Getting short stories published sells far more books. But as it was free, there wasn't any reason not to go for it really.

Arpeggio
09-10-2015, 02:26 AM
I've said this on other threads, but I guess people might not see it on other threads. I have one editorial review from Publishers Weekly. It was free. It doesn't seem to do much for sales. Getting short stories published sells far more books.

True here also. For me a price of 1.99 and below seems to be the sweet spot on some places. An eBook (of a 30 page print) @ 1.99 sells many more than an eBook (of an 80 page print) @ 2.99 even though that one is 266% longer but 34% more expensive. I'd guess this is due to several factors including price expectations taught to customers courtesy of Ming the Merciless (Jeff Bezos), George Arkeloff's "market for lemons" concept, and perhaps international differences in spending power and exchange rates.

Editorial is so far going well for sales, marketing gets on my **** hence this premature thread. Might update later with the results and what I did if anyone is interested, it involves approaching people who don't review normally.