Stand-up comic gigs - what's the average pay rate?

Sweet Tea

Gone to pee - don't touch my glass!
Registered
Reaction score
book research - need to know what the average pay rate is in a comedy club in a large city...NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami...per night? per gig? how does this work? Thanks in advance for the info!!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We go to New York once a year or so, and we nearly always see comedians, some you've seen on TV. I'm aware that the women are wearing clothes from Target quite often, which tells you they don't have much to spend.

Sweet Tea

Gone to pee - don't touch my glass!
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, I think the majority would most likely live below poverty level if not for their day jobs. BTW - good to hear from you - it's been a while since I've been online here.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What level comic? Many clubs have open mike night where comics don't get paid. Starting comics work from there up. When starting, you probably even have to pay for your own beer. Many comics do a route, staying in a condo provided by the club and eating meals provided by the club with barely enough to cover gas to the next gig. Often comics work for the take at the door, might bring in $30-50 a night in a decent club when split between the comics appearing.

I have a friend who, with his wife, does stand-up at county fairs for half the year. He makes the money on the t-shirts, CD's, DVD's and other stuff he sells. He's popular with the fair organizers because his routines are safe for families and he does an afternoon matinee that's all kiddie jokes. Think elephant jokes and knock-knock jokes with barnyard animal content and you'll know what he does. He's retired but not social security age yet and nets about $15,000 a year doing this for about six months. And that's pretty decent money for 90% of comics out there.

Jeff

Connecticut Yankee

Registered
Reaction score
Jeff, thanks tons for the info. Trying to get my MC to a level where there's no day job involved. Again, thanks

You could have them write material for other successful comics. Maybe they have poor delivery, but good content. Sells the jokes to other comics after finding what people actually laugh at. Then they can be a mediocre stand up comic with a day job that is just a slight derivative and minimal time requirement away from the actual stand up.

Just in keep in mind I'm not sure if this actually happens, lol. But I don't think it is too big of a leap.