Where the hell is my mail? (yes, another poll)

Where is Cass's mail?

• Her postal carrier is celebrating an early Christmas.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
The post office has no idea what they have done with my mail from the last couple of weeks, so I thought you folks could help them out. Your guess is apparently as good as theirs. And don't we all love a poll?

See, I had to put my mail on hold for a couple of weeks after being abruptly called away for a family emergency. I submitted the request electronically so I have nice pretty tracking numbers for my regular mail and also for two packages that the mailman, for some reason, attempted to deliver despite my mail hold request, but for which he required my signature.

All of it was supposed to be redelivered on August 4th. Only it wasn't. After repeated calls to my post office, and one desperate personal stop-in yesterday, the post office has confessed it has absolutely no idea where my mail or my packages are, despite the nice pretty tracking numbers.

Surely some of you have ideas! Do help me out. (Poll to follow as soon as I can get it up there, so just wait a dang minute, will you, Kyla?)

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Clearly the only answer is Vince took it and gave it to Orlando Bloom to be baked into an eggplant casserole. Only logical explanation.

Seriously though, that sucks, reeks of incompetence, and I hope they find your stuff soon.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
We're reading it right now.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I think my favorite moment so far was when the guy at the post office asked me to describe what the packages looked like.

(1) I didn't send them, so I DON'T KNOW.

(2) You have FREAKING TRACKING NUMBERS, damn it!

(3) Really? You have my address, the date the delivery attempts were made, and tracking numbers, and you're going to find my packages based on the unique packaging? Like, what, you just throw the mail in a heap back there and figure you'll have no problem finding the unusual square shapes of the particular brown cardboard boxes?

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, hey, I'll describe what the packages are like, and you can pass it on to them.

The first one is big. Like, I could barely get it through the door. I ended up pivoting it in, and tearing a corner against the door frame. I think I saw a pair of hands, but they were bound together at the wrist so it was difficult to tell much about them. I covered the tear with some duct tape because I value your privacy.

The second box is smaller. It rattles a lot when it's shaken. I've given it to a lot of people to confirm that it's "a lot", and they agree with me, so be sure to include that in your description!

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Oh, hey, I'll describe what the packages are like, and you can pass it on to them.

The first one is big. Like, I could barely get it through the door. I ended up pivoting it in, and tearing a corner against the door frame. I think I saw a pair of hands, but they were bound together at the wrist so it was difficult to tell much about them. I covered the tear with some duct tape because I value your privacy.

The second box is smaller. It rattles a lot when it's shaken. I've given it to a lot of people to confirm that it's "a lot", and they agree with me, so be sure to include that in your description!

oh, thank you. this is very helpful.

that's hot

this is less helpful.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing Philly. Philly can lose any mail.

I kept having my Oxford mail sent to China first (for months) for some reason. That was the UK mail, and they are clearly in cahoots with Philly.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Hmm... makes me wonder if they have a sticky-fingered employee - if not the delivery mail carrier, then someone in the warehouse. I suppose there's no way to find out if anyone else in the area has missing packages? (The runaround you're getting makes me extra-suspicious that they darned well know it, too.)

And those tracking numbers are next to useless, in my experience.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The post office only pretends to track things. It only pretends to function.

Mail? What mail? Don't you use FedEX and email and, like, drones and stuff?

Mail.

(sorry, it's a drag you lost yours. I hope you were not expecting anything you really care about!)

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I know there were at least a couple of things I care about, unfortunately.

One of those packages was a birthday gift I ordered for my niece. I suppose I could call Amazon and get the dimensions of the box they sent. And maybe Amazon can help me track down the package. Amazon's tracking also has the package ending in post office limbo, by the way, so they know I never got it. The thing is, it isn't Amazon's fault. I'd rather have the post office find it than have the seller replace it, if I have a choice.

And I am fairly certain some of that mail contained sympathy cards and possibly donations in memory of my father. (He died on July 19th -- the reason I had to leave town so abruptly was because he was dying). In lieu of flowers, we requested donations in to promote research about frontotemporal lobe disorder, from which he suffered and which ultimately led to his death. ) I am very anxious to thank everyone who sent a card or made a donation, and it is really bothering me that I may have missed some of them.

I'm especially worried because some of my mother's friends sent cash directly to her, rather than mailing a check to the organization. If any of my mail contained cash, that might explain what happened to it. I hope not, but it's possible.

What has really blown me away is that not one of the dozen or so postal employees to whom I've spoken about my problem seem either perturbed or surprised, or even apologetic. I get the feeling this happens all the time, and they simply couldn't care less.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shit. I'm really sorry there was actual mail in there. Because I think they really don't care, at the Post Office.

Get Amazon to replace the package if you can. As for cards and donations, you might need to try contacting people likely to have sent such during that time and let everyone know that the P.O. Black Hole of Doom ate everything and you are very sorry...

Geeze. Just what you needed.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I know there were at least a couple of things I care about, unfortunately.

One of those packages was a birthday gift I ordered for my niece. I suppose I could call Amazon and get the dimensions of the box they sent. And maybe Amazon can help me track down the package. Amazon's tracking also has the package ending in post office limbo, by the way, so they know I never got it. The thing is, it isn't Amazon's fault. I'd rather have the post office find it than have the seller replace it, if I have a choice.

And I am fairly certain some of that mail contained sympathy cards and possibly donations in memory of my father. (He died on July 19th -- the reason I had to leave town so abruptly was because he was dying). In lieu of flowers, we requested donations in to promote research about frontotemporal lobe disorder, from which he suffered and which ultimately led to his death. ) I am very anxious to thank everyone who sent a card or made a donation, and it is really bothering me that I may have missed some of them.

I'm especially worried because some of my mother's friends sent cash directly to her, rather than mailing a check to the organization. If any of my mail contained cash, that might explain what happened to it. I hope not, but it's possible.

What has really blown me away is that not one of the dozen or so postal employees to whom I've spoken about my problem seem either perturbed or surprised, or even apologetic. I get the feeling this happens all the time, and they simply couldn't care less.

Wow - red flags all over this incident... I'd consider going further up the post office ladder, if the local office isn't giving you satisfaction. (Translation: either they're all getting a cut, or someone who is is in a protected position.) This just screams sticky-fingered postal worker. Greeting/sympathy card envelopes are very distinctive; if you suddenly got a ton of them, and they were "just sitting there" in storage until you picked them up... Hate to say it, but I'm laying good odds that that money walked right out the door.

Demand satisfaction, or head up the food chain.

On the Amazon order, I've had exceptionally good luck with their customer service. If it came from a third party, you may still get help if their name is associated with the transaction, or they might suggest something.

Good luck!

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Shit. I'm really sorry there was actual mail in there. Because I think they really don't care, at the Post Office.

Get Amazon to replace the package if you can. As for cards and donations, you might need to try contacting people likely to have sent such during that time and let everyone know that the P.O. Black Hole of Doom ate everything and you are very sorry...

Geeze. Just what you needed.

You can say that again. This has been the summer -- really, the year -- of suck. Oh, well. At least I still have my sense of humor (though I suspect some in P&CE would just as soon I didn't...)

I'll give it until Monday, and then I suppose I should start acting on your plan. Amazon will probably make it right on the birthday gift, at least. But the rest is just a mess.

When the hell did the U.S. acquire a third world postal service?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you find out HOW to go further up the ladder, please let me know. I have tried to do that, and failed to make contact with anyone who had any responsibility.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I may have to go all lawyer on their lazy asses.

Believe it or not, I hate doing that, especially when I'm feeling so very burned out. I'd really much rather be civil. But I can do it. Oh, I can do it.

I'll report back when and if roll up my sleeves and get nasty. And yes, I'll give you the dirt on how to carry it up the food chain, assuming I manage to do it.

They lost a package of mine once before. But in that case, it was coming from overseas and I had no tracking number. (Note that the Greek post office got it to NYC promptly and efficiently -- it was the NYC post office that lost it.) Once they lost it, it was gone. This time, I have tracking numbers and receipts from their very own system. There's really no excuse at all for their failure to locate my mail.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
You know what's really fun? If you call the post office 800 number to inquire, one of two things happen:

1) you get disconnected and have to start all over with a new agent. This happened to me twice. You cannot reach the previous one again, and the agent cannot take your number and call you back.

2) if you successfully get through, they open an "investigation" and give you a new tracking number. If you call to ask WTF is going on with that tracking number, you get yet another tracking number.

If I just call my local post office, I don't get any further, but at least they don't give me new tracking numbers.

This is seriously ridiculous.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. That's the bureaucratic runaround. They have perfected it past all reason.

Ever see the movie 'Brazil'?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Yes. That's the bureaucratic runaround. They have perfected it past all reason.

Ever see the movie 'Brazil'?

Yes. Yes, I have. And until now, I never realized that the U.S. Postal Service inspired it.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm finding information that Elvin Mercado is postmaster of New York City, sworn in May 9, 2014. Start at the top?