PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Four

JimmyB27
08-05-2015, 03:59 PM
Everyone too put off by the mess that was the last time the tried a Fantastic Four film?

Went last night and I liked it on the whole, although Reed's reaction after they get their powers confused me a bit and the film didn't seem to explain why he did what he did (trying to avoid spoilers, heh).
The ending seemed rather rushed as well, the final conflict resolved itself in pretty short order.

Anyone else seen it yet?

Melanii
08-05-2015, 06:06 PM
I think I saw a poster of this at Best Buy. Or maybe it was on a stand? I dunno. I saw one of the F4 movies in the theater (the one with Jessica Alba). I liked that one. Why do they have to make another? Why do they keep re-making movies? Running out of ideas? How about trying books to movies? o.o

Albedo
08-05-2015, 06:17 PM
I'm taking a stand and boycotting all reboots that occur within a decade of the original.

Cyia
08-05-2015, 07:25 PM
So far, the best published review I've seen of this one is: It feels like a 100 minute trailer. So basically, fun and enticing, but empty.

I'll wait for the blu-ray.

Lord Hierarch
08-05-2015, 07:46 PM
Am I the only one that liked the original FF movie?

Not going to be see this one. Looks awful. Not even for the Deadpool trailer, and that's already out.

Zoombie
08-05-2015, 08:11 PM

Yes.

But no, seriously, I barely remember it one way or another, honestly.

Maggie Maxwell
08-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Yes.

But no, seriously, I barely remember it one way or another, honestly.

I remember disliking it. Doom is such an awesome, often hilariously cheesy villain and he was just so dull in the original one and got beaten so fast it wasn't satisfying. It was an action movie with not enough action. And it sounds like this one's very similar, based on current reviews.

Zoombie
08-05-2015, 08:41 PM
That is something that always bothers me.

How can people KEEP fucking up Dr. Doom?

He's literally just Iron Man if Iron Man was Hitler and also a wizard! HOW IS THIS HARD TO DO!?

Cyia
08-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Hollywood, especially in reboot, is OBSESSED with retelling origin stories over, and over, and over. They front load the films with so much of the childhood, youth and formative moments of the superheroes that they run out of time for the story at hand. It's all prologue and no story.

Usually, it's DC that falls into this trap, but F4, Marvel inevitably falls into it, too.

Start the movie with the 4 already in possession of their powers, start with Doom being evil, give us no more than 1-2 minutes of flashback per character to establish their origin - or, as this is a Marvel movie, use the intro credit book-flip animation to give the origin.

And for the love all that is web-slinging, STOP taking Spidey back to before Uncle Ben died. He does not need to utter the words: with great power comes great responsibility in every freakin' incarnation!

(For that matter, stop taking Superman back to the farm. We know where he came from. We know he's adopted. We do NOT need to see young Clark running to catch the bus and beating it to the school AGAIN. Grown Man, Daily Planet, Lois Lane, Luthor that IS ACTUALLY LUTHOR-LIKE PLEASE!!!!, and maybe - maybe - the Fortress of Solitude with a quick message from Jor-El, and some Kryptonite. That's all you need.)

Stop overthinking these things and give us a good story!

robjvargas
08-05-2015, 10:06 PM
I liked the first movie, thought the Silver Surfer sequel was a complete failure. But "like" is as far as I would go on that. It pales next to the other Marvel films.

Maggie Maxwell
08-05-2015, 10:06 PM

He's literally just Iron Man if Iron Man was Hitler and also a wizard! HOW IS THIS HARD TO DO!?

He's brilliant, scary, and goofy and he plays it 100% straight because no one dare laugh at him. Doom says he wants a bunch of jukeboxes playing a theme song, you say "yes, sir (https://nothingbutcomics.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/loki-all-you-need-is-doom.jpg)."

robeiae
08-05-2015, 10:22 PM
I liked the first movie, thought the Silver Surfer sequel was a complete failure. But "like" is as far as I would go on that. It pales next to the other Marvel films.
Yes.

But honestly, I'm not interested in another FF movie. Or in many of the other coming superhero flicks, aside from the ones that play directly into The Avengers film universe.

Lissibith
08-05-2015, 10:37 PM
Usually, it's DC that falls into this trap, but F4, Marvel inevitably falls into it, too.

While I agree with your overall point, Marvel didn't make any of the recent Fantastic Four movies, did they? They were associated, but that's largely just because of the license for the characters and world. I think the decision to reboot and re-origin is all on Fox. When faced with this conundrum in The Incredible Hulk, Marvel actually did as you suggested. :)

(Also, FWIW I liked the first Fantastic Four movie. It wasn't great cinema, but I had fun!)

I was waiting on reviews for this one, and now that they're coming out, I'm not thinking I'll see it. I liked that it seemed to be based more in the Ultimate universe (Ultimate Spider-Man and early Ultimate FF being the two bits of that universe I actually liked) but I wanted it to be more than "not worse than the last one" which is most of what I'm hearing.

CrastersBabies
08-06-2015, 03:12 AM
Hollywood, especially in reboot, is OBSESSED with retelling origin stories over, and over, and over. They front load the films with so much of the childhood, youth and formative moments of the superheroes that they run out of time for the story at hand. It's all prologue and no story.

In general, I think you are onto something. I find myself very drawn to origin stories. I don't know why, but your comment definitely makes me think. I actually enjoy watching these origin stories. The last Spiderman? I really liked it. I think there is this anticipation of knowing a little bit about what's to come and waiting for the character (actor's) reactions as they are changing and exploring their powers.

This is true for characters outside of comic books as well. For some, it might be redundant. For others, like me, it's compelling.

Now, on the other hand, I do like the idea of starting after the origin story and giving us some brief glimpses as to how the characters were made. But, I also think that in order to do that well--you need more time. For example, I enjoyed watching the backstory for Ollie Queen on Arrow (the island). But that unfolded over time. (Got to be too slow last season, imho, so they lost their pacing.)

I think it can be done. But, I also think there needs to be mystery there. Maybe one example is the first Dark Knight film? We got some flashbacks, yes, but most of the story took place in the present when Bruce Wayne came back.

Marlys
08-06-2015, 04:08 AM

Start the movie with the 4 already in possession of their powers, start with Doom being evil, give us no more than 1-2 minutes of flashback per character to establish their origin - or, as this is a Marvel movie, use the intro credit book-flip animation to give the origin.

And for the love all that is web-slinging, STOP taking Spidey back to before Uncle Ben died. He does not need to utter the words: with great power comes great responsibility in every freakin' incarnation!

(For that matter, stop taking Superman back to the farm. We know where he came from. We know he's adopted. We do NOT need to see young Clark running to catch the bus and beating it to the school AGAIN. Grown Man, Daily Planet, Lois Lane, Luthor that IS ACTUALLY LUTHOR-LIKE PLEASE!!!!, and maybe - maybe - the Fortress of Solitude with a quick message from Jor-El, and some Kryptonite. That's all you need.)

Stop overthinking these things and give us a good story!
This. Exactly this. I had a similar rant after I saw Antman. Give me a compelling plot, and dribble in just enough backstory so we get what the superpowers are. We don't need to see scene after scene of the hero learning how to use them--it's a given they'll figure it out.

CrastersBabies
08-06-2015, 06:27 AM
Yeah, but if you want to sell a movie script in Hollywod, you pretty much need that sort of section in the movie. A learning and exploring. A fun and games before the darkness settles in.

nighttimer
08-06-2015, 06:19 PM

Dolph Lundgren, Thomas Jane, and Ray Stevenson (https://theunitedstatesofnerd.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/punishers.jpg) are sitting in a bar somewhere and asking the same question about The Punisher.

For the longest time 20th Century Fox hid their Fantastic Four reboot and now four or so trailers later, I understand why. I don't know anyone hyped to see this.

It might be good, but it looks like ass. :e2moon:

Cyia
08-08-2015, 10:23 PM
It's officially the floppiest flop to ever flop forth from the Marvel catalog. If the Hulk movie and the Green Lantern movie had a baby, it would be cool kid compared to this movie.

Calla Lily
08-08-2015, 11:58 PM
*checks cast list* No Ioan Griffyud. *moves on*

nighttimer
08-09-2015, 05:21 AM
It's officially the floppiest flop to ever flop forth from the Marvel catalog. If the Hulk movie and the Green Lantern movie had a baby, it would be cool kid compared to this movie.

Technically speaking, Fantastic Flop is a Marvel movie only in that it is built around Marvel characters. Characters whose comic book Marvel cancelled a few months. Marvel's movies this year with Ant-Man and Avengers: Age of Ultron. This ugly orphan is owned by 20th Century Fox and now that its stiffed, the best move for the studio is to consider whether its a property that want to hold onto any more and sell it back to Marvel.

Anchored with a putrid 9 percent "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes, not only is the Fantastic Farce playing to empty seats in emptier theaters this weekend, it is the WORST reviewed Marvel superhero movie ever (http://screenrant.com/fantastic-four-failure/). Not Ghost Rider, Not Elektra, not Hulk, not even the twin Tim Story Fantastic Four flicks were this bad, but the buzz was bad from the get-go and it only got worse and worse. (http://www.vulture.com/2015/08/timeline-of-fantastic-fours-terrible-buzz.html)

At least Adam Sandler can smile. He can always say, "Pixels is terrible, but Fantastic Four is a shit salad." :chair

Zoombie
08-09-2015, 05:26 AM
Dolph Lundgren, Thomas Jane, and Ray Stevenson (https://theunitedstatesofnerd.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/punishers.jpg) are sitting in a bar somewhere and asking the same question about The Punisher.

For the longest time 20th Century Fox hid their Fantastic Four reboot and now four or so trailers later, I understand why. I don't know anyone hyped to see this.

It might be good, but it looks like ass. :e2moon:

See, I don't actually know much about the Punisher. But what I do know, making a Punisher movie should be even easier than making a Dr. Doom movie. See, like, we've had ten years to acclimate movie audiences where they'd probably would accept Magic Hitler in a powered armored suit who was kicked out of Cal Tech for necromancy.

We've already proven we accept dude with guns shooting bad people with guns.

RichardGarfinkle
08-09-2015, 12:37 PM
See, I don't actually know much about the Punisher. But what I do know, making a Punisher movie should be even easier than making a Dr. Doom movie. See, like, we've had ten years to acclimate movie audiences where they'd probably would accept Magic Hitler in a powered armored suit who was kicked out of Cal Tech for necromancy.

We've already proven we accept dude with guns shooting bad people with guns.

That's the problem with The Punisher as a character these days. He was introduced in 1974. At the time he was a radical departure from how superheroes (or even regular heroes) behaved. And he was originally more or less a bad guy.

Nowadays, The Punisher's ways of thinking and acting are mainstream in comicsand movies. Today even Batman and Superman are The Punisher. He's no longer a relevant character because he's too mainstream.

Thelassa
08-09-2015, 01:52 PM

I enjoyed it. It was campy and silly, but people tend to forget that the Fantastic Four has always been campy and silly. F4 comics haven't been big sellers in quite some time, and Marvel only puts out a new series once every few years out of tradition more than anything. The only thing most people care about that has anything to do with them is Doom.

That is the reason, actually. Studios are fidgety when it comes to magic in their superhero films, and I don't know why. Even the official MCU has so far shied away from it, like how they made Scarlet Witch the product of genetic engineering rather than being the daughter of a mutant and a witch. They are also struggling to come up with a different origin for Iron Fist in the series they are planning for Netflix, because his powers are of mystical origin and they don't want to go that route. Supposedly, Marvel is going to introduce the concept of magic with the Doctor Strange film. Studios seem to think that there must be some logical, scientific explanation to anchor a hero or villain in a superhero movie to reality, or audiences might feel that it's too absurd. Never mind that audiences readily accept powers of alien, godly, genetic, radiation, or technological origin, no matter how impossible those origins could be in the real world. There's just something about the very concept of a character with magic powers in a superhero film that makes them feel like it's just too risky.

nighttimer
08-09-2015, 10:25 PM
That's the problem with The Punisher as a character these days. He was introduced in 1974. At the time he was a radical departure from how superheroes (or even regular heroes) behaved. And he was originally more or less a bad guy.

Nowadays, The Punisher's ways of thinking and acting are mainstream in comicsand movies. Today even Batman and Superman are The Punisher. He's no longer a relevant character because he's too mainstream.

Mainstream? The Punisher? :Wha:

I respect your vast knowledge base on a variety of subjects, Richard, but if you think The Punisher is "mainstream" you can't have read Garth Ennis' run on the title in general and the story where Frank takes on human trafficking in The Slavers (http://www.the-culture-counter.com/a-punishing-world-the-punisher-the-slavers/). It is easily the most brutal and extreme I have ever seen The Punisher be as the violent way he offs the bad guy continues to escalate in ever more grisly ways.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/nighttimer/youcantstopme_zpsx7vidlri.jpg

Batman and Superman would crap the undies they used to wear outside their costumes before they went to the extremes Castle does on a regular basis in the brutal world he occupies.

After three failed attempts it is obvious a good Punisher movie cannot be made. Perhaps he will fare better when he moves over to the next season of Daredevil.

This is something Josh Trank and 20th Century Fox should have taken in account before going to the well for a fourth time with the Fantastic Four only to make a bigger bomb than any of the previous entries.

Lord Hierarch
08-09-2015, 11:40 PM
This movie was made so Fox could keep the rights to Fantastic Four right?

Oh, the poor actors in this movie. Gonna be a big mark on their resumes.

I did my own version of the FF plot. Mind if I post here?

Twick
08-10-2015, 12:02 AM
I'm taking a stand and boycotting all reboots that occur within a decade of the original.

I'll join you. Maybe we can form a group called "Moviegoers with Memories Longer than Goldfish".

RichardGarfinkle
08-10-2015, 12:07 AM
NT, truth to tell I haven't read the punisher in a long time. So my contrast was how he was when introduced when the contrast with regular superheroes was so extreme. I watched other characters move in his direction, but didn't watch him move as well.

kuwisdelu
08-10-2015, 12:40 AM
Re: origin stories.

Against all mainstream advice, I'm a big fan of extremely liberal use of short, leave-them-wanting-more flashbacks.

This linear storytelling business is boring nonsense.

J.S.F.
08-10-2015, 07:47 AM
Tomatermeter down to 8%. Just an FYI. Saw film, hated it. NOT because they decided to drop in a black character out of nowhere, but because the dialogue was poor, the CGI iffy to semi-decent, and the characters so bland and unconvincing I found myself rooting for the side of evil instead of good. THAT'S how much I hated it.

Trank's tank-job will go down in history as being one of poor direction coupled with studio interference, bad scriptwriting, and overall blechness. He can't be blamed for everything...but he does deserve a lot of the crap hurled his way. This flick is so bad it makes Plan Nine from Outer Space look like Citizen Kane.

thepicpic
08-10-2015, 10:18 AM
I barely even remember the original. I mean, there was Jessica Alba and, err...

Something about space?

From what little I've seen of this one (being the youtube trailer ads) I can't say I'm impressed. I suppose it doesn't help that I just know enough about the comics to wonder where spontaneous black guy came from, but don't actually care enough to watch and find out.

Albedo
08-10-2015, 12:19 PM
I'll join you. Maybe we can form a group called "Moviegoers with Memories Longer than Goldfish".

Yes. Although if that's our title, can we campaign on other Hollywood crimes against the cognitively intact? Ferinstance, the mandatory flashback to stuff we've already seen whenever it is mentioned later? Thanks, guys, but most of us can still remember the start of the movie when we're halfway through the movie.

Lissibith
08-10-2015, 08:10 PM
They are also struggling to come up with a different origin for Iron Fist in the series they are planning for Netflix, because his powers are of mystical origin and they don't want to go that route.
I had not heard this.It makes sense. It is also very disappointing. Straddling the two worlds was part of what made Danny interesting. :(

nighttimer
08-10-2015, 08:46 PM
This movie was made so Fox could keep the rights to Fantastic Four right?

Oh, the poor actors in this movie. Gonna be a big mark on their resumes.

Naaah. They'll be fine. Miles Teller, Kate Mara, Jamie Bell and Michael B. Jordan all have other roles lined up. The trailer for Jordan's Creed looks bad-ass and I'm looking forward to seeing it in the fall.

IMDB has all of them lined up for Fantastic Four 2. I doubt that's gonna happen.

For director Josh Trank though he's gonna have to spend some time in the Bad Director Corner after the rumors came out of clashing with 20th Century Fox over the film and eccentric behavior by Trank personally. Forbes has an article (http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/08/10/box-office-4-reasons-fantastic-four-flamed-out/) on why the FF failed so totally, miserably and completely.

NT, truth to tell I haven't read the punisher in a long time. So my contrast was how he was when introduced when the contrast with regular superheroes was so extreme. I watched other characters move in his direction, but didn't watch him move as well.

Fair enough. To some extent that's my problem with the DC films. They do grim and gritty and dark really well, but that's really not who a character like Superman is. Wolverine yes, but Superman is not a tortured character like Batman.

Tomatermeter down to 8%. Just an FYI. Saw film, hated it. NOT because they decided to drop in a black character out of nowhere, but because the dialogue was poor, the CGI iffy to semi-decent, and the characters so bland and unconvincing I found myself rooting for the side of evil instead of good. THAT'S how much I hated it.

Trank's tank-job will go down in history as being one of poor direction coupled with studio interference, bad scriptwriting, and overall blechness. He can't be blamed for everything...but he does deserve a lot of the crap hurled his way. This flick is so bad it makes Plan Nine from Outer Space look like Citizen Kane.

Sorry you had to take that bullet for the team. If I had a free pass, I would have given it away. Provided I could find someone to take it.

Myrealana
08-10-2015, 08:54 PM
From watching the trailers, I thought it would have been nice if they had gotten maybe some writers and a couple of actors to work on this film.

You know, instead of just grabbing people off the street and saying "Hey, your head's about the right size. Wanna be a super hero?"

Every trailer was less interesting than the last one. Why would I ever pay to see that movie. I would be reluctant to let someone pay ME to see it.

Jcomp
08-10-2015, 11:48 PM
After three failed attempts it is obvious a good Punisher movie cannot be made.

I actually thought that a pretty damn good "Punisher" movie came out last year; it was just called John Wick.

Zoombie
08-10-2015, 11:54 PM
I actually thought that a pretty damn good "Punisher" movie came out last year; it was just called John Wick.

Fun fact, among my friends, John Wick" has become a verb.

As in, "dude!! Did you see that, he john wicked the fuck out of those guys."

nighttimer
08-11-2015, 12:18 AM

Fun fact, among my friends, John Wick" has become a verb.

As in, "dude!! Did you see that, he john wicked the fuck out of those guys."

Even though I know it's crap I have a soft spot for Punisher: War Zone.

Now John Wick...that was pretty bad-ass (http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/16/8048883/how-many-people-did-john-wick-kill). You killed my dog. I kill you all. :guns:

I hope the sequel doesn't fall off a cliff the way Taken 2 did. Or those Matrix sequels that never ever never ever happened.

Jcomp
08-11-2015, 12:55 AM
I hope the sequel doesn't fall off a cliff the way Taken 2 did.

I hope the sequel doesn't fall off a cliff the way Taken 2 did. Or those Matrix sequels that never ever never ever happened.

On the one hand, I have hope for the sequel to John Wick because, unlike Taken, it actually had some nice world-building around it that could be worth exploring in more detail.

On the other the hand, well... I would've said the same thing about The Matrix before not seeing its non-existent sequels.

Alessandra Kelley
08-11-2015, 02:17 AM
...Studios are fidgety when it comes to magic in their superhero films, and I don't know why. Even the official MCU has so far shied away from it, like how they made Scarlet Witch the product of genetic engineering rather than being the daughter of a mutant and a witch. They are also struggling to come up with a different origin for Iron Fist in the series they are planning for Netflix, because his powers are of mystical origin and they don't want to go that route. Supposedly, Marvel is going to introduce the concept of magic with the Doctor Strange film. Studios seem to think that there must be some logical, scientific explanation to anchor a hero or villain in a superhero movie to reality, or audiences might feel that it's too absurd. Never mind that audiences readily accept powers of alien, godly, genetic, radiation, or technological origin, no matter how impossible those origins could be in the real world. There's just something about the very concept of a character with magic powers in a superhero film that makes them feel like it's just too risky.

I wonder if the studios are scared of the religious fundamentalist crowd, the sort of people who got upset at the magic in the "Harry Potter" books.

I may be wrong about this, but I seem to recall hearing that Hollywood was not terribly brave. Maybe they are concerned about the prospect of some bad publicity or complaints or an inability to market the movies in religiously fundamentalist countries.

Two McMillion
08-11-2015, 02:46 AM
I wonder if the studios are scared of the religious fundamentalist crowd, the sort of people who got upset at the magic in the "Harry Potter" books.

I may be wrong about this, but I seem to recall hearing that Hollywood was not terribly brave. Maybe they are concerned about the prospect of some bad publicity or complaints or an inability to market the movies in religiously fundamentalist countries.

I doubt it's that. I rather suspect that they're nervous about mixing genres rather than everything else. If you set up a universe as sci-fi, people may feel betrayed if magic shows up. I think movegoing audiences are less tolerant about that sort of thing than book audiences.

Jcomp
08-11-2015, 07:51 PM
I doubt it's that. I rather suspect that they're nervous about mixing genres rather than everything else. If you set up a universe as sci-fi, people may feel betrayed if magic shows up. I think movegoing audiences are less tolerant about that sort of thing than book audiences.

Yeah. Moviegoers in general are fine with magic in films. LotR / The Hobbit and Harry Potter, just for recent examples, have done huge business domestic and internationally.

I think you're right in that most moviegoers just aren't so ready to accept magic getting in their sci-fi soup, or vice versa. One of the many complaints that many Indiana Jones had about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull regarded the existence of aliens in a series that, to that point, had been all about mysticism.

veinglory
08-11-2015, 07:59 PM
They only made it because the rights to the characters were going to revert to Marvel if they didn't release something new featuring them, or something old again because that's easier.

nighttimer
08-13-2015, 12:08 AM
They only made it because the rights to the characters were going to revert to Marvel if they didn't release something new featuring them, or something old again because that's easier.

This is precisely why 20th Century Fox refuses to throw in the towel on The Fantastic Four despite it being painfully obvious they don't have Clue One what to do with them. I don't know if Marvel ever got the property back from Fox they could do anything better with them, but the bar has been set so low they could hardly do anything worse.

How much it suck to an executive at Fox who approved the Fantastic Failure? Colleagues look away from you as you pass them in the hallway, won't sit next to you in the company cafeteria and generally treat you like you're in the last stages of an advanced case of Ebola?

It's gotta suck really hard. (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fantastic-four-blame-game-fox-814764)

Days before Fantastic Four (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/fantastic-four/review/813140) opened, director Josh Trank sent an email to some members of the cast and crew to say he was proud of the film, which, he wrote, was "better than 99 percent of the comic-book movies ever made."

"I don't think so," responded one castmember.

Maybe if Trank had left it at that, Hollywood insiders and fan websites could have played their own parlor games as to who was at fault for the film's colossal failure and Fantastic Four would have faded into the history books as did John Carter and other bombs before it. (The $122 million-budgeted film opened to just $25.7 million in the U.S. and $34 million abroad, far below even the most cautious predictions.)

But Trank, 31, could not resist tweeting on Aug. 6, as the movie was hitting theaters, that he had made "a fantastic version" of the film that audiences would "probably never see." Though Trank quickly deleted the tweet, his public disavowal of the film at such a key moment enraged 20th Century Fox executives and stirred a pot that had begun to bubble when the director was dropped by Lucasfilm from a Star Wars stand-alone film at the end of April, prompting THR to report that one of the causes was his erratic behavior on Fantastic Four.

Now, insiders on the film say the situation was worse than previously revealed, and Trank has enlisted pit-bull lawyer Marty Singer to advocate on his behalf. And so the game of blame is underway.

In Trank's case, multiple sources associated with the project say the director did not produce material that would have opened the way to a salvageable film. And by several accounts, he resisted help. "He holed up in a tent and cut himself off from everybody," says one high-level source. Literally, there was a tent on the Louisiana set. "He built a black tent around his monitor," says a crewmember. "He was extremely withdrawn." Between setups, this person adds, "he would go to his trailer and he wouldn't interact with anybody."

Sources say Fox believed in what one executive calls a "grounded, gritty version of Fantastic Four that was almost the opposite of previous versions" — and initially thought Trank could deliver that. Several sources say Fox stood by Trank as he pushed a gloomy tone on young stars Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara and Jamie Bell. "During takes, he would be telling [castmembers] when to blink and when to breathe," one person says. "He kept pushing them to make the performance as flat as possible."

A crewmember acknowledges that Trank bears much of the fault for the film's problems but also says the Fox studio should not escape blame. The movie was "ill-conceived, made for the wrong reasons and there was no vision behind the property," this person says. "Say what you will about Marvel but they have a vision."

As Fox hurried to put the project into production before rights to the material reverted to Marvel, the studio was scrambling with multiple rewrites and delays in starting the film. They "were afraid of losing the rights so they pressed forward and didn't surround [Trank] with help or fire him. They buried their heads in the sand." Fox declined to comment.

Another source says the notion of firing Trank came up even before the cameras started to roll. But Fox put its faith in him because he had directed the studio's 2012 found-footage hero movie Chronicle, which grossed $127 million worldwide on a $12 million budget. Based on that, insiders say Fox executives thought they had found an "in-house director," a young talent who could become another J.J. Abrams. And the studio was trying to shake off its reputation for micromanaging filmmakers. So executives were reluctant to interfere on Fantastic Four despite warnings of trouble.

When the seriousness of the problems could no longer be ignored, says a key source on the project, it was too late to fire the director. "How do you ask someone to take over half of a movie shot by someone else?" he says. "You either hire somebody desperate for work or you [start over], write off pretty much the whole budget and lose the cast."

I have to admit I wouldn't watch Fantastic Four if you gave me the ticket and the extra large barrel of popcorn, but the inside dope on this grisly 20-car pile-up of a movie absolutely fascinates me. When a movie is made for all the wrong reasons should it be a surprise when it turn out to be cinematic crap?

It's no wonder there are so many bad movies. The wonder is when we a few good ones.

Latina Bunny
08-13-2015, 12:37 AM
I never watched any Fantastic Four movies or whatever medium they're in. I've only read some of the reprints of the original comics, one or two old crossover with Spider-Man, and some 90s/early 2000s comics....and I didn't really like any of the characters, from the bits I've ever saw of them. (Richard was boring. Sue was so lame, and was even in the middle of some love triangle between Richard Reed and that Namor guy. Maybe even Doctor Doom? He did something to Sue's baby or whatever? Torch was arrogant, and he made my favorite Spidey feel miserable. And the Thing annoyed me with his cheesy lines, like "clobberin' time" and whatever, and his annoying attitude.)

So, yeah, I never felt the love towards Fantastic Four in the first place. (But, it could be the way the old comics were portraying them, though.)

I was hoping maybe a movie could make them appealing or interesting to me, and I was willing to have an open mind to a FF movie, but it seems like even this most recent FF movie was not that great as well...

cat_named_easter
08-13-2015, 12:52 AM
I saw it a few days ago. For the first 45 minutes or so I was kind of enjoying it. I liked the (what I think is) new take on the origins of the characters and their powers. But then it all just... ended.
SPOILER ALERT

We meet the villain and twenty minutes later the film is done. There is one battle and it's over. The film therefore just felt really lopsided and front-heavy. I didn't really feel like they had to struggle for much to win. And did they win? What did they win? Why did the stretchy man (sorry, I know that's terrible but I forgot his name) just vanish for a year and abandon his friends? Why was Victor (apart from having always been a prick) suddenly evil and intent on ruining everyone's lives? How did he get those intense powers and how exactly did he survive in another dimension for a year? And why do his friends turn on him so easily? Meh, it just became pointless in the end.
Finding the comments about "a random black guy in it" a bit weird. This barely crossed my mind and is NOTHING to do with why this film was crappy.
Someone posted one above but here's another article that sheds some light on some of the issues in the making of the film: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/feature/a662902/kate-maras-wig-and-5-other-reasons-fantastic-four-is-the-biggest-superhero-flop-since-catwoman.html#~plblxTRNs67jhR
One of them is just "Kate Mara's wig" haha!

Latina Bunny
08-13-2015, 01:14 AM
Question to those who saw it: *SPOILER ALERT*

Is Doctor Doom really a disgruntled hacker in this movie, like the actor had mentioned in one interview long ago? Because that sounds hilariously lame.

cat_named_easter
08-16-2015, 07:17 PM
Haha, I don't think so. Well, if he was, it was something he was doing in he background that wasn't a big part of the film. Maybe I've forgotten a little (testament to how poor the film was). He's a scientist with big ideas but who couldn't always make them work.

Twick
08-20-2015, 12:19 AM

I really don't think that they're terrified of the fundamentalists; in fact, they enjoy poking that particular bear with a pointed stick whenever the opportunity arises. They know that despite the fundamentalist bark, the bite on the final gross is pretty minimal (oh, how Harry Potter suffered!). And that's really all they care about.

For the Marvel Universe, I can see why they'd try to keep everything meshing in overall world view, which they've chosen to be a relatively scientific one. (Although in my own opinion, "It's magic!" is just as good an explanation as "It was a radioactive spider!") I think it's more a concern about stretching the audience's suspension of disbelief in too many directions at once. Possibly they fear that while comic-book readers have accepted science and magic for years without complaint, the general audience won't.

In non-MU movies, well, Ghost Ride and Hell Boy have pretty well let the horse out of the barn on supernatural explanations.