• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta reader wanted for military sci-fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

baileycakes14

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm looking for a beta reader for my current science fiction project. Here's a rough blurb:

For years humanity has been fighting a brutal civil war. The Human Coalition of Earth has spent a decade trying to reclaim its territories that have been lost to colonists infected with an alien parasite. After a devastating defeat, they are forced to sign an armistice, abandoning many soldiers in enemy space. The disgraced crew of the Wayfaring Stranger is assigned with rescuing these stranded soldiers. In order to do this, they recruit the help of an enemy P.O.W: a young woman infected with the alien parasite and in possession of startling superhuman abilities. Together they must infiltrate enemy space, rescue their downed soldiers, and above all, they must stay hidden. If they are discovered across the line, the armistice will be broken, and the war will start again.

It's a serial novel, and my episodes usually clock in at about 14,000 words apiece. I would be happy with either someone who only wants read the first episode, or someone who wants to stay on long-term and pick up the others :) I'm looking for big picture things: characters, setting, and over-all impressions of the story, but comments on style and mechanics are always welcome!

Important notes:
- I would be happy to swap, just sadly not right now. The school year is starting up, and things are going to be crazy for a while, so basically you'll have a big IOU.
- I tried a few beta readers for a different project about a year and a half ago. I only ever heard back from one and even then only for about four chapters. I understand that maybe you won't like my writing or maybe life will get in the way and you won't be able to finish. If that's the case, I just ask that you let me know. No hard feelings, I promise! I completely understand. I just don't like to dangle and wait.

If anyone is interested, please PM me and I'll get back to you!

Calcasieu1959

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! My first thought was you just stuck a bunch of people together in a situation that is going to bring out both the best and worse in themselves and others. Humans can be both angel and demon without the supernatural being added. Military angle. Any military knowledge required? Though I can pick Hubby's brain. He was an Army Brat with a Master Sgt for a father. I guess my question is the series going to be brutally realistic or sort of glossed over. I could probably hang with glossed over. Yes, I'm sending this PM too.

drfrazier

ad scribere ecce ad somnium
Registered
Reaction score
baileycakes14, I would love to read anything you have. I am to the point with no fluff, only real feedback. If I can help please just let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.