PDA

View Full Version : Sent agent the right story--wrong document

becphish
08-04-2015, 04:36 PM
The agent requested the first fifty pages attached in a word doc with the original query. She then sent a personal message that she was excited by my subject matter and that she currently lives in a town (overseas) that I mentioned in my bio. This was last week. I realized last night that I pulled the first fifty pages from the non-ms formatted document. Yes, it's in Times New Roman and double-spaced. It does not have the correct breaks between chapters, title page, etc.
She's already had the ms for a week and I already replied to her message with a note saying thank you and wow, what a coincidence about the same town. Should I worry about the format at this point? I don't want to be a pain, but I also don't want her to think that I'm unprofessional. Obviously, if she asks for more, she'll be sent the document in correct format--and at that point, it won't matter that I accidentally sent the wrong format. Will this accidental oversight cause an automatic rejection?
Thanks for weighing in.

CEtchison
08-04-2015, 05:45 PM
Unless it's someone like Sara Megibow who consistently turns her partials around in two weeks, it's likely she hasn't looked at it. It's also very possible she may not get to it for months. I would send a quick reply to the existing email chain saying you noticed your mistake, have attached the formatted version and apologize for any inconvenience.

becphish
08-04-2015, 05:47 PM
Thanks, SummerSpring. I really appreciate your reply.

CEtchison
08-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Having just gone through the querying process myself, I completely understand your worry and feeling like you've just sunk your career, but it really is okay. They know we have a million versions in our files. It was an honest and simple mistake. Take a deep breath, send the file, then fix yourself a drink. :)

becphish
08-04-2015, 07:51 PM
Thank you! I'm going through my various documents now and I'm realizing how I made this mistake. Apparently, the formatting I had done (even adding my headers and page numbers) never carried over to the document with the first fifty pages that was supposed to be attached to the email.
All of the agents I've queried until this point have requested the first ten pages/three chapters/whatever to be included in the body of the email. I didn't even realize the extent of this minor (disaster) situation until a little bit ago.

becphish
08-04-2015, 08:31 PM
Also, thanks for your words of wisdom! I've sent the corrected first fifty, now I'm going through my original document and making sure all of my page breaks, headers, etc. are in place. And I'm trying to breathe again.

InkStainedWench
08-04-2015, 09:51 PM
becphish, don't forget the drink SummerSpring recommended.

becphish
08-04-2015, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the reminder, InkStainedWench!!! It will definitely help!!!!!