Car Aficionados: Mid 20th Century Convertible Coupe Needed

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
So I have a guy in 1948 and I want him to take a ride in a convertible coupe, the smaller the better. Price not a factor, though I wouldn't mind it being domestic (but also not required). I'm currently working with the idea of a custom desoto, but it's big! US cars were large at that time.

Can anyone think of a smaller alternative? (I'd also like bucket seats as opposed to a bench, but that's not dire.)

Thanks!

Last edited:

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
I think Studebaker was as small as they came back then, but not certain if they had a convertible.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome. It is pretty isn't it? I don't know when bucket seats originated.

boppa

Registered
Reaction score
Coupe or Convertible? My understanding, backed up by a couple of quick online dictionary searches, is that "coupe" refers to a fixed top two door automobile.

A coupé (US coupe) (from the French past participle coupé, of the infinitive couper, to cut) is a closed two-door car body style with a permanently attached fixed roof,[SUP][1][/SUP] that is shorter than a sedan or saloon (British and Irish English) of the same model,[SUP][2][/SUP] and it often has seating for two persons or with a tight-spaced rear seat.[SUP][3][/SUP] The precise definition of the term varies between manufacturers and over time.[SUP][4][/SUP] The term was first applied to 19th-century carriages, where the rear-facing seats ha

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
I think I have a winner: 1948 Studebaker Champion Convertible! Not buckets, but it checks every other box on my list. Thanks TR!
its not exactly small, thats a 5000 pound car. studebker did have another model available in that time frame thats smaller and more sporty.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/rolling-classic-1953-studebaker-convertible-stunning/

ETA granted, thats a picture of a '53. I couldnt find a picture of a car in that kind of shape from an earlier model year

Last edited:

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Thanks for the link Boppa, but are there no convertible sedans? Wisegeek actually says the difference between a coupe and a sedan is the interior volume. But, you're correct, i was using the term in the vernacular, signifying two doors and small, versus sedan, four doors and larger.

Pony: I don't actually need tiny, just a smaller than average interior space. My MC is larger than average, and needs another thing to bemoan. :)

ETA: Although now I'm questioning my description. My MC describes the car as a convertible coupe. Wikipedia states: "The majority of convertible cars are two door models, with very few four-door models." That suggests convertible sedans did exist. Obviously I would describe it as a "convertible coupe" because I did, and my MC is no more car-savvy than me. But I think it should lean more toward being correct...Any thoughts?

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The majority of US cars at the time were large, small convertibles were nearly always imported and most often British. Ford, Mercury, Chevy, Cadillac, Buick and many others made convertibles, but again, all were larger. The MG TC, maybe the Austin Atlantic, or possibly a Riley Roadster might make good choices. Depending on your story, you could pop him in a war surplus Jeep if you need it to be American. :)

Jeff

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
The majority of US cars at the time were large, small convertibles were nearly always imported and most often British.

Jeff beat me to the punch. Sports cars in American really came about as a result of GIs bringing back the MGs and such after WWII. In other words, just about the time your story is set.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you need a cramped interior, the MGTC might just be your best bet. My Dad had a '53 MGTD and it was a tight fit even though he was only 5'8". They started making the TCs again after the war in 1945.

MM

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
In the late 1940s, Aston Martin had a really sharp looking convertible that could work. And I'll second (third) the MG.

I think the Porsche 356 was available then as well...would have been brand spanking new, and I think it came as a convertible.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If your tale takes place in 1948 in the US, there were a number of domestic convertibles offered, but none were really small: Ford, Mercury, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Chrysler, Dodge . . . It could have also been a domestic vehicle produced in a model year prior to 1948.

https://www.google.com/search?q=194...oTCL3N7s_EjccCFUn7gAodwBIB9Q&biw=1375&bih=803

If it has to be a smaller car, you may have to consider an import--but do your research to make sure it was really available in the States at the time.

For example . . . It took Porsche almost two years (1948-49) to build 50 cars (original 356 models) and all were sold in Europe. It wasn't until the early '50s that a few 356 (pre-A) showed up in the States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_356