Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
California Wildfires :cry:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Same thing I hate about July and September, and these years, October and even November: It's the oppressive, relentless heat. I'd add lack of rain, but that's been true out here for the past 50 some months running. I wonder if the jury's come in for W. I like LA, a lot, but I have been tested lately. The wildfires, yeah, not a good thing, but usually pretty far from where I am. There was one time, a few years ago though, when I watched the Santa Monica mountains burning to the south while the San Bernadinos were ablaze to the east. If not so destructive, and frightening to those within proximity, beautiful.

Ice_Twin

Registered
Reaction score
Same thing I hate about July and September, and these years, October and even November: It's the oppressive, relentless heat. I'd add lack of rain, but that's been true out here for the past 50 some months running.

I'd trade you all our rain, for just a few days of nice sunshine, deal? It seems like every year in Britain, the summer gets shorter. :D

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I'd trade you all our rain, for just a few days of nice sunshine, deal? It seems like every year in Britain, the summer gets shorter. :D

Ha, yeah. I grew up in a city that gets more rain than most others (by American standards). I know England's got pro level rainfall and humidity while we are only in the amateur ranks--and I do remember how old that can get and how fast. But, yeah, hell yeah, I'll trade you Ice Twin. Hey, maybe we could timeshare, you know? Go back and forth when we've each had enough of one or the other. I must warn you though--I do not keep a tidy pad.

Ice_Twin

Registered
Reaction score
But, yeah, hell yeah, I'll trade you Ice Twin. Hey, maybe we could timeshare, you know? Go back and forth when we've each had enough of one or the other. I must warn you though--I do not keep a tidy pad.

A timeshare. I would so be on board with that. In fact, I can book flights and be at yours for 6am tomorrow. ;)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Makes mental note: AWBnB*

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Heat waves
My lonely birthdays
Having no money to spoil myself on said lonely-ass birthdays
Heat waves
Heat waves
Average temps

Make sure you let us know when it's you birthday. I for one will hang out whichya. Pitiful substitution for the real thing, I know.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Make sure you let us know when it's you birthday. I for one will hang out whichya. Pitiful substitution for the real thing, I know.
Aw thanks :hooray: It's on the 5th, 2 days after a good friend, so if my move goes through, I'll try to throw us a joint party at my then new and non-alcoholic apartment (he's Muslim, no booze). And on Friday, my favorite singer is performing in Palestine; all I need is a ride... So there will be some comfort. I hope. Eh.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Aw thanks :hooray: It's on the 5th, 2 days after a good friend, so if my move goes through, I'll try to throw us a joint party at my then new and non-alcoholic apartment (he's Muslim, no booze). And on Friday, my favorite singer is performing in Palestine; all I need is a ride... So there will be some comfort. I hope. Eh.

Oh, so you're covered. You don't seem so lonely at all. In fact, you should be comforting me!

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Oh, so you're covered. You don't seem so lonely at all. In fact, you should be comforting me!
Just say the word :D

Eh, my Muslim friend is unlikely to agree, and the thing in Ramallah is something I'll probably be accompanied to by whatever stranger gives me a ride at best, but it's still gonna be an adventure. Especially not accidentally speaking Hebrew anywhere... Brrr.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Just say the word :D

Eh, my Muslim friend is unlikely to agree, and the thing in Ramallah is something I'll probably be accompanied to by whatever stranger gives me a ride at best, but it's still gonna be an adventure. Especially not accidentally speaking Hebrew anywhere... Brrr.

The word? Any time. Must be rough living there. I'm half Lebanese but have never been to the ME. I saw your thread in POC. Don't know how much help I can be, but feel free to PM.

Hope you have a nice birthday. If not, consider me your fall-back position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bZaH0C2iwk

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Yellowjackets.

Having to wrestle with Concast customer service for what should be a very simple issue, but likely will turn into a days-long quest of minimal reward.

Yellowjackets.

Being so far behind on everything I wanted to do this year.

And did I mention yellowjackets? If not, yellowjackets.

lumin

Registered
Reaction score
The weather here in Chicago has been wonky the past few years and I expect nothing but the same this year. During the early summer months it's either constantly raining or barely ever getting past about 60 degrees, yet as August approaches and things should be cooling off the sun is suddenly blistering hot.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
August is just a big, sweaty wet-dog of a month. It just takes up space, sweating and oozing, and takes forever to end. The only plus is a distinct lack of holidays.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
The low skies of battleship grey. Can't remember the last long sticky breezeless sleepless night. Might have been a previous life.

The morning roads of august are dead, devoid of the school runners, and driving to work is a joy.

It's not the worst month.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
What I hate about August: the yearly forecast for my region is now available with experts saying our accursed winter will be even colder, damper, and longer than it was last time! :cry:

We had no spring at all, just a slightly milder winter, and froze our asses off in jackets and winter boots in the cold rain through much of June. Along with being a non-driver and having to bus my clothes to the laundromat to wash 'em, I have some physical issues with the cold and typically the period from May-October is when daily living is not inherently painful for me.

I became physically hampered and extremely and drained this past winter to the extent that it took me weeks to even recover after the fact, and now this year I will be in school and if I can't hold up against the winter then I could flunk out of this expensive college and ruin my decade. Vacationing somewhere warm isn't an option, and neither is moving away (the latter of which is especially true since I am going to school here).

I haven't even seen more than 2 hornets/wasps here, and both were in the past week. That just tells you how damn cold it has been so far.

Can I trade with someone who hates heat waves, sticky hot humidity, and the like?

Violet Vixen

Official Cryptid of the Publishing World
Registered
Reaction score
I hate August because, growing up, it always seemed like a Fall month to me(Fall semester). I would be so excited for the Georgia heat and humidity to fade...

BUT IT WAS ALL A LIE. BLISTERING HEAT, SUFFOCATING HUMIDITY

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
*Makes mental note: AWBnB*

I used to really hate August. But as I've grown older, I've come to despise the winters up here more and more, and I really have learned to enjoy the heat.

I know that sounds weird, but it's true.

I only regret not being able to get out to the farmer's markets more to indulge in the sweet corn that is ready.

But this idea of an AW BnB might have something to it. Like a student hostel only for AW folks passing through.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I quite like August. The days are mild and dry and the nights are cool. It's the start of the migratory bird season too, with species flying in from eastern Asia and New Guinea.