PDA

View Full Version : If an agent has your full...

policewife
08-01-2015, 05:59 AM
Hello everyone. I just began querying agents about a week ago and received a request for a full. Since then, I changed my title and made one fairly significant revision. Do I email the agent to alert her of the changes? Or should I just wait until she contacts me to tell her? Thank you very much!

cornflake
08-01-2015, 06:24 AM
Hello everyone. I just began querying agents about a week ago and received a request for a full. Since then, I changed my title and made one fairly significant revision. Do I email the agent to alert her of the changes? Or should I just wait until she contacts me to tell her? Thank you very much!

Wait.

Osulagh
08-01-2015, 06:33 AM
Stop querying if you're going to make revisions not to specific agent requests.

Otherwise, wait.

mayqueen
08-01-2015, 06:44 AM
What do you mean by fairly significant revision? A title change isn't a big deal. I know everyone works at a different pace, but the kinds of changes that I've made that required updating an agent about took weeks if not months. We're talking major structural and plot alterations.

I agree with the others that if you're making large changes, you should stop querying agents until you are fully, absolutely, completely sure that the manuscript is ready.

Generally, you can send an agent an updated manuscript under some very specific circumstances. First, the changes should be prompted by a good reason. Something like a contest you entered or an agent who also requested and read the full. Nothing that would indicate that you did not do your best to query a completed manuscript. Second, you get one chance to send an updated manuscript. After that, you're indicating that your manuscript really wasn't ready and you're wasting the agent's time. She might have already started to read it twice, and asking her to start over again isn't very considerate.

I've been there. I've queried a manuscript that wasn't ready. It happens. But you have to respect that the agents who requested your materials.

policewife
08-01-2015, 03:39 PM
I appreciate everyone's feedback! Thank you! I will wait.

Scythe-Of-Winter
08-24-2015, 03:05 PM
You can always get the title changed after you get picked up (if you do)...

Punkin
01-17-2016, 01:54 AM
Changing the title matters not. All titles are working titles, anyway, until the date of release.