I hate Tom Cruise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
And I was one of the biggest Cruise apologists out there for the longest while. I tried divorcing the man's daft philosophies and grandstanding exhibitions from his artistry as an actor. I tried sympathizing with him, one misunderstood misfit to another. I've tried rationalizing his freakier outrages. But, in the end, I have to say it, the man is a freakin' loon.

I can tolerate the way he controls every aspect of his young bride's existence. I don't approve of mysoginy, but some of our greatest geniuses---Hitchcock and his enmity with Tippi Hedron, springs to mind---have loathed the softer sex, not that I consider Cruise bound for the mosaics of Byzantium.

I can shrug off his knee-jerk litigiousness. Okay, the man lacks the all-embracing humerus of, John Malkovich, say---see Adaptation and, of course, Being John Malkovich---but not all of us are as gracious. Some of us, our ribs chafe more quickly when poked.

I can even tolerate his Oprah antics. Anyone see the Web spoof, with the Force lightning? Or the genius lampoon of it in Scary Movie 4?

But "all mental illness is illusory"? That, friends, is insane. I mean, I knew he was against an over-medicated society, but I didn't know Scientology considers all pathologies to be a sham.

So, all those mentally-handicapped and schizophrenic myriads down through the years---from Christ's time, when they were regarded as demon-possessed, to the ghastly asylum's of Sade's time (see Quills)---this has all been one big bluff?

Does this man---and all Scientologists, for that matter---think mental illness is a 20th-century invention? Does he know what happened to people with gremlins in their skulls 200 years ago, the way they were shoveled together, like the politically-outspoken were once sent to Siberia, crushed together on fetid straw carpets, naked or in rags?

And then came electroshock therapy--oh, look how calm these lunatics get after we blast half of their brains away. And don't even get me started on FF lobotomies.

Anyhoo, I'm going to cut my own mike, before this turns into another classic Lantern Jack rant. I guess this is just another disgusting example of the hideous underbelly of free speech---that every crank and cussable soul gets his own bully pulpit.

P.S. And, yes, yes I realize the irony of a person with acute (albeit, unmedicated) BP disorder being a powerful Tom Cruise fan:) :) :)

Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

--- a fine example of the the type of craziness I'd like to hear coming out of a celebrity's mouth, instead of the fouler, more malignant brand we too often hear

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Lantern Jack said:
But "all mental illness is illusory"? That, friends, is insane. I mean, I knew he was against an over-medicated society, but I didn't know Scientology considers all pathologies to be a sham.

Go ahead and vent, LJ. I'm sure you (and others here) have encountered numerous people who operate from the assumption that most people who take medication for depression or other mental problems don't really need it, they just need a swift kick in the pants or a big hug. I wish this were true, but it's not.

The worst thing about Rainman's brother spouting this crap is the fact that it reinforces this 19th Century mentality at a time when society was just beginning to widely accept that some folks need a little help in this area. People are no longer afraid to admit that they take meds, because the stigma is (almost) gone now. And along comes dumba$$. Great.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kevin, you seem a little hyper today. That's twice I've seen you use the word azzhole today.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Tom--a$$hole--Cruise would benefit greatly from heavy medication and some electric chair therapy ;)

The guy is a complete and utter buttwipe. Plus he's just creepy.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But who's taking Tom seriously though? I don't like his stances either, he's obviously nuts, but I don't think his vehement denials of the legitimacy of psychiatry are being viewed by anyone with half an ounce of intelligence as logical commentary.

JComp, who, on second thought, knows many people with less than half an ounce of intelligence (and who's completely biting Maryn's style).

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
A question:

WHY do we give a flying f*ck what Tom Cruise thinks?

exactly. being mad about it only gives his comments more weight than they deserve.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
The good news is, I don't think anyone out there is saying to themselves, "Gee, I thought I needed antidepressants but Tom Cruise says I don't, so I won't get any treatment at all."

I can't separate his uber weird personality (and I agree about the Creepy part) from his movies. Same with Mel Gibson -- for me the two of them are completely unwatchable because they've both gone off the religious deepend, and I hate thinking that my $8 movie ticket might be going to line the pockets of a fanatical nutcase.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
KTC said:
who is taking him seriously? Let's discuss. Someone who indeed needs to stay on their meds is having delusional fantazies about The Great Tom Cruise...idolizes him. The Tom says...NO TO MEDS. Buddy stops taking his meds and kills either himself or somebody else. Sick people who need meds are vulnerable. Some of them may listen to him and stop their meds. It is already a daily dilemna "take them? not take them? I'm okay without them?" Then superstar azzhole says "you don't need meds."

THAT'S WHO IS LISTENING TO HIM AND TAKING HIM SERIOUSLY.

Sorry, but anyone buying into Tom Cruise's philosophy on taking medication is probably just as liable to buy into the Loony Homeless Hank's same philosophies, or Old Joe down the street who's perfectly sane, but just a moron. He's just a celebrity, he has a right to speak his mind whether we agree or not, and we have a right to think what he says is incredibly stupid. Saying, "he's just an actor, shut up," is a poor argument, and the louder you shout it, the more you actually credentialled every word he speaks.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
KTC said:
You have to know, J, that ill people focus intently on the famous. Not all. But some. He is loading a gun, pointing it at the camera, and pulling the trigger.

Well, I won't even pretend to know the cartography of a mentally ill person's thought patterns. If you've lived it and are more acquainted with the subject matter, I'd say it'd be imprudent of me to argue from my more ignorant stance. No sarcasm, that's real.

ChuckFernster

He's a victim to the 20 year BIG celebrity syndrome.

Once you've been very famous for 20 years you lose complete touch with reality and what it's like to be a normal human.

Tom Cruise, John "I can heal you with my hands" Travolta, Michael Jackson, Babs Streisand, etc....

It always happens around the 20 year mark, give or take a few.

And it doesn't happen to everyone, but many, many become victims of this horrible affliction.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I like Tom Cruise. He makes me laugh. Why is it that everytime I see a photo of him, I feel fairly certain he ate the cameraman as soon as the shutter clicked? Massively beautiful incisors and canines to underscore his empty little head, though.

It's infuriating, when he spews his nonsense, but I can't imagine letting the likes of him get to you. Please don't. He's a prick. Everybody but Katie Holmes knows it. He makes a fun film, most of the time. Other than that...

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
PattiTheWicked said:
The good news is, I don't think anyone out there is saying to themselves, "Gee, I thought I needed antidepressants but Tom Cruise says I don't, so I won't get any treatment at all."

I don't have any stats on this, only opinion from personal experience, but:

Treatment quite often begins at an early age, so it's the parents (like me and my former) who are forced to decide on beginning medication for their child. We both went through stages of denial as to the necessity for such an important step; as it was, we delayed making the decision for over a year. A year that was full of statements like, "I hate my life. I want to die." We were horrified at the possibility it was merely a stage of growth that was dictating the alarming behavior, and our decision to begin treatment would actually cause a future dependency unnecessarily.

I wanted to believe exactly what this bonehead is saying, and hearing it then could have caused me to waver. I guarantee there are parents out there right now sighing with relief after hearing Doctor Tom's opinion.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
HERE'S AN IDEA:

Let's have Phillip Seymor Hoffman install an explosive device in Cruise's brain pan, only for real, instead of just in the new Mission Impossible movie.

I think I'm going to go see that, my first movie in four months, just to see if Hoffman pounds the crap out of Cruise with his Golden Globe award.

There is no good and evil, Harry Potter, only power and those too fearful to take it

-------Tom Cruise, I mean, Lord Voldemort

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Lantern Jack said:
HERE'S AN IDEA:
Let's have Phillip Seymor Hoffman install an explosive device in Cruise's brain pan, only for real, instead of just in the new Mission Impossible movie.
Rant is one thing, but advocate the murder of another human? I don't think so, and maybe you need an increase in meds tonight.;)

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
SpookyWriter said:
Rant is one thing, but advocate the murder of another human? I don't think so, and maybe you need an increase in meds tonight.;)

Ah, ha, ha. But Cruise isn't a human being, he's a luminary, he enjoys a god-like status, and people mow down their gods all the time. Down with this false idol:)

I didn't learn joined-up handwriting for nothing, you know!

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

PattiTheWicked said:

I can't separate his uber weird personality (and I agree about the Creepy part) from his movies. Same with Mel Gibson -- for me the two of them are completely unwatchable because they've both gone off the religious deepend, and I hate thinking that my $8 movie ticket might be going to line the pockets of a fanatical nutcase.

Same here. And in the case of Cruise, his money goes right to the Scientologists, who are about as evil a cult as you can imagine.

So no Cruise or Gibson for me, thanks.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Lantern Jack said:
And I was one of the biggest Cruise apologists out there for the longest while. I tried divorcing the man's daft philosophies and grandstanding exhibitions from his artistry as an actor.

I don't see how you can use the words artistry and Tom Cruise in the same sentence. He's the same in every movie.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Hahahahaha! It's things like this that make me glad I don't watch TV or read hollywood gossip.

I've never seen any of these instances everyone is talking about, have no idea about what's going on with him and his wife (As a matter of fact, the last I heard they were engaged, and it was only through some thread I saw here at AW that I found out she was even pregnant!) and the only time I experience him is when I happen to see a movie he's starring in.

That's what I love about this place: I can pick up a few good writing tidbits, procrastinate to my heart's content, have a good laugh or two and still stay abreast of all the important world topics of the day - like Tom Cruise and his antics. :D

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
Sassenach said:
I don't see how you can use the words artistry and Tom Cruise in the same sentence. He's the same in every movie.

Allow me to answer, O Doubting Tomas, with a Seinfeld quote:)

"I happen to dress based on mood."
"But you essentially wear the same thing all the time."
"Seemingly, but within that basic framework there are many subtle variations only discernible to an acute observer that reflect the many moods, the many shades, the many sides of George Costanza."

• - George and Jerry, in "The Trip"
  • When the whole class was seated, Lockhart cleared his throat loudly and silence fell. He reached forward, picked up Neville Longbottom's copy of Travels with Trolls, and held it up to show his own, winking portrait on the front.

“Me,” he said, pointing at it and winking as well. “Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honorary Member of the Dark Force Defense League, and five-time winner of Witch Weekly's MostCharming-Smile Award—but I don't talk about that. I didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at her!”

He waited for them to laugh; a few people smiled weakly.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
According to Kevin Drum of Washington Monthly:

"The followers of Scientology believe that 75 million years ago evil galactic ruler Xenu deposited trillions of alien bodies on Earth and destroyed them with A-bombs. The souls of these creatures inhabit present-day humans. “Clearing” our bodies of them is the key to mental stability. That’s why Scientologists believe that psychiatry and antidepressive drugs are damaging."

I try to respect other people's beliefs even when they seem totally bizarre, but I can't respect Scientology. If Cruise truly believes that, he is completely out of touch with reality in general, not just the reality of mental illness or the reality of ordinary people's lives.

He's clearly got some major issues with women and with what it means to be a man, too. (Honey, Jesse Jackson had it right. "You ain't a man 'cause you can make a baby. You a man 'cause you can raise a baby!" Like the ones Cruise and his second wife adopted, who are virtually invisible now compared to the photo ops he provides for the one in Ms. Holmes' belly.)

In the last few years, I've started having trouble watching him on the screen, unable to separate the work from the flake. I think his public antics and general weirdness are actively damaging his career, and that seems like a good thing.

Maryn, who'll take Philip Seymour Hoffman any day

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I still have to say, for people who don't like Tom and think his opinions are nonsense, you sure are devoting a lot of time to discussing the guy. This is the 2nd cruise thread i've seen this month.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Cruise

KTC said:
Sorry. You are wrong. I guarantee you that there is. Even if it's one person it's one too many. A lot of mentally ill people pay close attention to the famous of the world. It's a fact.

A mentally ill person would have to be insane to listen to Tom Cruise, and a sane person would have to be mentally ill to worry about it.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
KTC said:
You have to know, J, that ill people focus intently on the famous. Not all. But some. He is loading a gun, pointing it at the camera, and pulling the trigger.

Can you eleborate on that? Why people with mental illness focus so intently on the famous? Curious wants to know...

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Can you eleborate on that? Why people with mental illness focus so intently on the famous? Curious wants to know...
...just incase I become famous, right? That's what you really meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.