I Have an Actual Job as a Technical Writer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
It's been a while since I posted here. My life and career have been turning somersaults for the past year, but in short, I haven't written a damn thing for a year and a half. My YA novel first draft sits as a first draft, and since I last wrote anything, I took up thrifting and selling more on eBay as both a hobby and a way to earn extra money for the family. So, that's kept me busy. And it's brought in more money than my writing ever did. Not that I don't miss writing. I do. Perhaps I need a break from it as I try different things.

I worked my last job for over two years, which was at a tiny manufacturing company. While I was there, I wrote the manuals for the product they sold.

Then our baby boy was born in February of this year. He's five months old now and is named Zachary.

I lost my job May of this year and was unemployed three months. During that time I thrifted and sold almost full time on eBay, among other projects.

THEN I got a job doing what I've been trying to get for years: technical writing. A large manufacturing company was looking for a technical writer (through a temp agency) for a 4-6 month project, and I interviewed and was hired because of my writing background (with four history books published), plus my manufacturing background in exactly what this company manufactures: complex machines in injection molding.

Although it's a temp job, it could last longer than 4-6 months. If not, this solid experience of working with both Interleaf and FrameMaker will help get my next technical writing job. Hopefully, anyway.

Anyhow, I wanted to share the goal I finally met in my career, and where I've been all this time if anyone's wondered.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's great news! I've been following your tribulations for the past several years, and I'm glad things are looking up for you.

I'm in a similar boat nowadays, so it's encouraging to hear that things do work out with persistence.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the update and I'm glad for you! Hope this job works out well and lasts as long as you'd like it to.

Good work! and congratulations.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Quite an inspiration that you held up so well with so much going on! Congrats on the job! May it go well.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Altiv

Chasing the dragon...
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the job! :hooray:

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Thank you! With my technical background and writing background, I've been trying to get a job like this for years. But it's a catch-22: you can't be a technical writer without having already been a technical writer. ??? Anyhow, in my last job, I wrote manuals for the product the company manufactured and sold, but that was only part of my job duties. That experience was enough of a boost to get me this job, along with my manufacturing experience. This company manufactures machines that I've worked with and wired before, so I was a good match.

Finally. A job that I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.