PDA

View Full Version : Pointing Out Mistakes

raelwv
07-30-2015, 06:24 AM
This is a weird etiquette question:

Today an ad/post from another self-publisher on Twitter caught my eye because the text (it was a graphic with text overlaid) explained how the heroine was "ready to flea at the first sign of danger . . ." Obviously, it should be "flee." My first instinct was to point this out in a reply tweet or message, but my second instinct was that doing so might come across wrong.

What's the polite way to point out an error to a fellow writer? I think I'd want to know if I had ad copy or a blog post with a whopper of a mistake (particularly and easily fixed one), but I'm not sure others would think the same way.

Thanks,

Filigree
07-30-2015, 06:39 AM
This, right here...quality issues like this are why self-publishing gets a bad rap. I would let her know in a private email as politely as possible. Before someone publicly mocks her on Twitter.

Fruitbat
07-30-2015, 07:10 AM
Tell her you hate to nitpick but it really bugs you. Ha.

RKarina
07-30-2015, 07:37 AM
I agree - I would much rather have someone politely (and privately) tell me about a mistake than have it mocked on social media.
Send a private note that nicely points out the error. And if it's meant to be something funny - clearly it failed.

Super_Duper
07-30-2015, 07:10 PM
say nothing, stay silent

dpaterso
07-30-2015, 07:33 PM
Yeah I just email or PM the author, if possible, whenever I see a typo, no biggie.

In the past I've received helpy emails and PMs pointing out blips in my junk, which I've appreciated.

-Derek

raelwv
07-31-2015, 06:32 AM
Thanks, folks. Sort of figured that would be OK, but wanted to check first.