Information about the former NASA tracking station at Tananarive Madagascar

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I think I can piece together what I need during the years that this site was active, what I am looking for is some information on what happened to the site after it was shut down in 1975. Anyone visited this area and seen the place in the last 10 or so years? Is it just sitting there? Have they repurposed the area? I saw a satellite picture of a rather shabby looking building and a worn road leading to the place where the dish had been, but I couldn't get a fix on when the image was captured. Any help or leads would be appreciated!

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Have you looked on Google Earth/Maps? Those provide info on the date of image capture. Photosphere (in Google Maps) usually has some interesting images and Street View pops up in surprising places. (I haven't checked for Madagascar.)

skelly

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'll do that. Thanks.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ask NASA. :)

By the way, it's now Antananarivo. If you speak French, you might try contacting someone in the local government for information.

Jeff

skelly

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent information and leads. Ask NASA...there's an idea :D Thanks for the tips you guys. Appreciate your time.