August is a dead month in publishing?

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I was just about to send out a few more queries when I came across a short article in a publishing blog which said that August is a "dead month" in publishing. It says it's a bad idea to send out a query to agents, editors, and all the rest of the publishing industry during that month.

Eek! True? False? What to do if true?

Last edited:

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
August is "dead" in that I, as an agent, am not sending out new submissions the last couple weeks of August until after labor day. There are just too many people on vacation, it's a pain in the ass to get anything through, and it feels like a "fresh start" in Fall.

That said, I and most other agents are absolutely working -- since the phone isn't ringing off the hook and there are far fewer fires to put out, this is a perfect time for us to read all the stacks of things that have been waiting for attention and basically "clear the decks".

As far as I'm concerned, it really doesn't matter when you send your query. It goes in a line with all the others, and I get to it when I have time to get to it, in the order received. So if you query now, you'll be that much further ahead than if you wait until September. But ultimately, I'll look at everything. *shrug*

Last edited:

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I read an article from an agent wherein it states that acquisition meetings pretty much don't happen in August as editors are prepping their fall lineup. It would be interesting to know what happens to the agented manuscripts that are sent at the beginning of summer, as in April or June.

Thanks Jennifer for your insight!!!

becphish

Registered
Reaction score
If you go on twitter today, agents are putting up their manuscript wish lists #mswl and telling writers what they're looking for. I'm not an agent by far, but it seems that they must be working if they're telling people what they'd like to see in their queries.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Every month is a dead month. If you believe all you read about this subject, you can find some "expert" who will give you a reason not to send out a query during any one of the twelve months. It's all nonsense.

Whether your query gets acted on or not, it's still ahead of those who wait, and publishing is often first come, first served. I've never had an agent who didn't send submissions out during every month of the year, and I've sold things to publishers every month of the year except, I think, March. In fact, August has been the second most productive month I've had for sales. Who knows, maybe this is because no one else is sending editors anything to buy during August.

I don't know an editor who doesn't keep is solid touch when on vacation. They read e-mails, they read submissions, they make phone calls, and do everything else they possibly can.

Seriously, look around and check out all the months you aren't supposed to send out queries or other submissions. If you follow all the advice written by those in the industry, you'll only query on the sixth Thursday of the thirteenth month of the year.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Keep querying. I've had requests through the holiday seasons (Christmas to New Year's) as well as in the summer. As well as any other time in the year.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I read an article from an agent wherein it states that acquisition meetings pretty much don't happen in August as editors are prepping their fall lineup. It would be interesting to know what happens to the agented manuscripts that are sent at the beginning of summer, as in April or June.

I went on sub in mid May and my book just sold, in mid July. We heard from each of the eleven editors we subbed to, too, in that time. So the summer is not dead, in my experience!

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
For my company, August is a CRAZY month. The Sales and Marketing Departments at Publishers are definitely at work in August, and probably going as mental as we are.

Basically, August is when we go through all the new and upcoming titles for the whole of the fall leading right up to Christmas get a buying plan together for ourselves, get our catalogues distributed and start talking to stores about their plans.

My guess is that acquisitions is quieter because so much of the house focus is on promoting acquired books in the run up to Christmas, and getting books in production ready to go.

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
I know for publication in literary fiction reviews/journals, it seems most are dead in August and submissions open on Sept. 1 (coinciding with universities being in full swing, no doubt).

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
My editor just sent a note out asking folks to get their submissions in asap so she could load up her kindle before she left for vacation, so there's also that aspect.