How Do You Like Your Eats?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, do y'all like your food separate on your plate, like meat here, potatoes here, and vegetable here, or do you prefer food that's all mixed together like stew, stir fry, casseroles, etc.?

Also, do you like to play with your food, such as with crab legs, sunflower seeds and fondue, or does that annoy you?

What, if anything, do you think that says about your personality?

This is a very srious question so very srious answers only, plz.

anastasiareeves

That weird chick everyone ignores.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasiareeves.com
When eating things like meat and veggies I need them separately on the plate. They cannot touch each other. I have a bit of OCD but eating something that is meant to be mixed I am okay with.

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To the first part of your question: it depends. I like some things seperate, and also like casseroles and stews.

As to the fiddly part: no. Other than using chopsticks for Asian food, I don't want to play with it. Of course that does not include things like chips/dips.

I have no idea what that says about my personality.

MM

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
How ever it's meant to be served. Can't not mix things due to small plates and not enough pans. Would need very big plates to prevent food types touching.

My only food fuss is peas (unless still in the pod or a bombay mix - never cooked), baked beans, or sweat corn. Anything else I'll eat or try. But those three don't register as food.

Can't bare there thought of snails either, even in garlic butter. No thanks.

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
I am a definite food mixer. Love to slosh things together and see what happens. My wife, on the other hand, does not the items on the plate to touch. She finds my practice to be quite appalling, so I try not to do it too much when we are eating together. But when she's not there, it's a free for all mash-up. We know these things about each other, and have still been happily married for twelve years. Make of that what you will.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I used to think I was a Must Not Touch Ever person. Then I grew up, stopped eating my mom's food and realized it was only to be able to pick out the stuff I dislike. (Asparagus ... ew ... woman has to put asparagus in everything). That and she used a lot of gravy, which I still think is gross.

Now I make things I can throw together in a bowl and chow down on. No pile of a random veggie just because someone somewhere said that all plates must have one protein, one starch, and one pile of sad cooked peas. I just plop the chicken/salmon/watever on top of the rice and veggies I made specifically for it when I do use plates.

I don't play with my food. It's usually gone before the thought even occurs to me. :tongue

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind it if my food groups touch, but I prefer them separated - I also like foods that are mixed together such as in stews, salads and casseroles.

The only time I play with my food is when I've been invited to someone's home for a meal, the food sucks, and I'm trying to "pretend" to enjoy it...

You know, just kinda moving it around on the plate until everyone else is finished and then saying. "Whew, I'm stuffed!" :greenie

BWretched

Banned
Reaction score
Depends on the food. For the most part I don't mind mixing meal foods together (especially if mashed potatoes are on the plate). I wouldn't throw my pudding in there or anything though. I dated someone who mixed cereals like Lucky Charms and Cocoa Puffs. That there was sacrilegious to me.

I don't really play with my food. I like to get that stuff in there. I might toy around with snacks like popcorn, trying to toss it in my mouth or something.

My food personality...eh...ravenous cereal addict.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
All mixed together, usually. In part because I find it easier to cook this way...I prefer stews/curries/stir-fries served over rice/couscous, etc.

biggie321hp

Registered
Reaction score
I occasionally mix foods, if they are to be mixed. Gravy and mashed potatoes (PO-TAY-TOES---Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!), chili and fries, and a few others. For the most part I keep them separate. I never play with my food; I never even think about doing it, really. The thought never comes to cross my mind. I suppose this means I am a organized, in my own way. I like things to be put the way I like them. And despite my childish love for life (what's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes?), not playing with my food probably means I have a sense of pride which I have no want to falter. Than again, this could be completely inaccurate. It is hard to judge oneself, and sometimes it is downright impossible. Everyone thinks different of every person, including themselves.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind if the items on my plate cross over into each other's turf, but I never mix 'em up on purpose.

Food that's already mixed up (soup, salad, stew, casserole) is OK with me.

Generally I dislike having to pick apart food with my fingers, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Favorite cuisines: Mexican (authentic or American-style), and Eastern Mediterranean (Greek, Turkish, Lebanese, etc.)

Least favorite cuisine: Vegan.

Cuisine that I'm afraid to try: Indian, because almost everyone I know tells me that it's, uh...yucky.

How much: I'm a pretty light eater. I had a weight problem when I was younger (age 10 through 16 or so) and I want to avoid starring in the sequel, "Fat Kid II: The Return of Captain Chubby". (One of my teenage nicknames).

How often: I have a normal breakfast, lunch, and dinner routine. I get really grouchy if I have to delay or skip a meal.

Guilty pleasures: Pizza, beer -- apart or together.

Favorite dessert: See above, my second guilty pleasure.

:Thumbs:

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Some foods that I used to segregate turn out to go REALLY WELL together.

Turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce come immediately to mind. Each is good on its own, but the perfect bite is a ratio of 2 parts turkey, 3 parts stuffing and 1 part cranberry sauce.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
For the past 40+ years (up to 2 years ago), my food couldn't touch. Once it was on my plate, it could also not be touched by another person...it was mine, goddammit. But I actually...for a while when it got really bad...had a plate with divided sections. I mean....all that time, my food wouldn't touch. I'd shit my pants and wear a daisy if it did!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh...and I would eat all of one thing, then all of another, then all of another until the plate was empty. If something was particularly runny...if there was potential for cross-contamination...I would eat that food first, then wash my plate and eat the next thing.

My life has changed dramatically. Like, transformation extraordinaire. I've dealt with childhood sexual abuse. I've dealt with the physical and emotional abuse at the hands of my parents. I've come out. Not only do I allow my food to touch now, I don't really notice when it does.

ALSO...for the first time since before I could remember I actually share what's on my plate. I uttered "Wanna try some" to my boyfriend 14 months ago...the very first time I said that ever. He reached over with his fork and helped himself to some of my lobster ravioli. AND I SURVIVED. I mean, if someone touched my food before that, I was done. The mere idea of offering a lick from an ice cream cone was the same as dying.

We try each others' food. We even occasionally share drinks. I don't know what happened. I could never do this with anyone ever in my life. I just worked on everything else and my food issues evaporated on their own.

Is that serious enough?