architecture questions

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm not sure this is the right place for my question--maybe the history forum would be appropriate, but it's more general.

I'm writing something right now (fantasy) where there are some scenes that take place in one of the character's family's great house. Not a castle or palace, but very large and impressive. I think of something you'd find maybe in a warm, somewhat more humid than what's usually called Mediterranean, but not quite tropical climate. So there are a lot of high ceilings, windows, balconies, courtyards, and terraces, and colonnaded walkways.

The level of material technology/social organization is akin to what existed in much of Europe in the later renaissance through early 1700s, though the culture is not identical. I think of the house as being at least a few centuries old, though, and having been expanded and improved upon over time.

I'm having trouble coming up with some good templates for the kinds of buildings I have in mind, and also coming up with names for room and architectural features.

The thing that's bugging me in particular is I have in mind this location in the grand villa, mansion, estate, or house (also wondering what to actually call the thing--want a fantasy feel that's not too tightly tied with any existing culture) where there's a terrace that overlooks a garden. It opens off a sort of hallway or corridor with tall windows facing the terrace (and a door leading to the terrace, of course) on one side, and opening to rooms or alcoves on the other. I sort of have this idea that when it was first built, the hallway was an open colonnaded walkway, but it's since been walled/windowed in.

I know I've seen pictures of features like this, but today my google skills are failing me. Also not coming up with good floor plans for buildings from this era and from different countries with names for the different kinds of rooms.

The only thing I can think to call it is a gallery, but I'm not sure that's quite the correct word.

Anyone know what to call this, and also any links to informational sites about architecture from this period that includes names for different style of building and the rooms and features associated with them? Pictures are a bonus, of course. Going to web sites for many historic buildings and palaces doesn't get me much except information about tours I could take were I there.

Mainly I want inspiration and help with visualization, but also names.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
This won't be any help because a) it doesn't answer you nomenclature question and b) it was built in the 20th century, but it's a rather splendid place and I think you'd enjoy knowing about it*: Paronella Park in Mena Creek, Far North Queensland. There are lots more pics on the web.

*If you don't already know.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

That was the word I was looking for, I think, though I'm thinking of one that's subsequently been walled/windowed in. Thanks!

Also kinda unrelated as this house was built in 1934 but it has some features I think match your descriptions of the great house. You'll have to research the building style & material though.

Thanks! I love pictures of cool buildings. And you never know what will be useful.

Last edited:

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
I think a direction you might want to explore is the palazzos and villas of Italy.

http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Palazzo_Chiericati.html

Try running a google image search on: Villa Cornaro, Villa Emo, Villa Barbaro, Ville Palladiane for some floor plans and interior/exterior photos. The Getty Villas is a modern take on these.

As for terminology, I've always used "A Field Guide to American Houses," by Virginia and Lee McAlester. I know it says American houses, but we steal most of our architectural elements from the Europeans.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oooh, thanks.

And the perverse nature of searching is such that when I followed the link up thread for Loggias, I discovered a link for fainting rooms, and ended up googling pelvic massage. I looked at my husband and said, "Honey, when we're rich, I should like a house with a fainting room, so I can have proper treatment for my female hysteria."

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I also thought of a loggia. Which made me think of the Medici Palace. Not sure if that's what you're thinking, but that was my first thought. Check out the courtyard and various rooms. And they were a wealthy, prominent family, so there is a treasure trove of information on them and the palace.

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'd be inclined to let my POV character worry about it so I don't have to. He/she is struck by the feature, enjoys walking along it. Knows that a loggia is open to the elements on one side and wonders whether it still qualifies as a loggia now that the open side has been walled up.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'd be inclined to let my POV character worry about it so I don't have to. He/she is struck by the feature, enjoys walking along it. Knows that a loggia is open to the elements on one side and wonders whether it still qualifies as a loggia now that the open side has been walled up.

But it's his house, or rather, his motherclan's.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Well, that's a bit of a pain. You've got me all intrigued now. I've been searching for an answer and can't find one. I need to know for my own sake. :rant:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Lol, if all else fails, I may have to make up a word. It's not like I'm copying a set historical template, and I'm very much a discovery writer. It's probably silly too get hung up on words for things this early in the process. Chances are, many things will end up on the chopping room floor anyway.

I love the pictures of buildings, though.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Gallery?
Promenade?

Thinking of Elizabethan period long galleries - see Montacute House for example - where the ladies of the house could take a walk in wet weather. It was part of the house, but was used a bit like a covered walkway. (Which would be another term to use incidentally).