self publishing, ISBNs and editions

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckysh0t

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

I have an idea for a local history book project that am in the process of getting funding for a small initial print run. I've looked about online at self-publishing options and found www.printondemand-worldwide.com to be pretty competitive for a small print run with a colour insert. Wondered did anyone have any experience with them?

Also I want this available for sale so will be getting them to generate an ISBN number. Depending how popular the book is, I'll look to do a second edition with a 'true' print on demand with the likes of Amazon and sell it electronically. Would that need a separate ISBN number? Would selling via Amazon whether by createspace etc, come with any restrictions like not being able to do subsequent editions elsewhere? I want to retain the ability to do small print batches at different points, I'm thinking this probably means a separate ISBN for each batch if I want to sell via Amazon etc myself. Maybe at that point it would be easier just to order a few myself from the Amazon print on demand service.

Any advice on limitations when self-publishing and multiple editions is greatly appreciated.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
Technically, each edition is supposed to have its own ISBN. However, if you're talking about the exact same content basically reprinted with a different POD printer you can probably get by on one. (Though with CreateSpace it's cheap or free to get an ISBN so it wouldn't be a major expense to do things the right way.)

CreateSpace has no limitations on where you can sell you book. You don't even have to sell it on CreateSpace. You can just buy books directly from them at your discount and sell them however you want. (You should definitely price compare with your chosen vendor and see if it makes sense to go with CS from the start.)

Direct-selling books on Amazon rather than using CreateSpace (from anecdotal accounts) is fraught with (IMHO unnecessary) complexities and costs. It ain't for newbies...

Status
Not open for further replies.