Gun Range description needed

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
I have a scene in my WIP where my MC is learning to shoot a handgun at a range. In the first draft, this scene is... bare. Very bare. Very flat and full of Hollywood descriptions, because I've never been to a gun range in my life and don't even know how to buy a handgun (in the book a friend is loaning his to MC).

I'm having trouble finding a sensory, emotional description from someone who's been to a gun range. How it feels, sounds, smells once you're in a lane and start shooting. The physical effects of pulling the trigger over and over. Sensory and emotional descriptions of pulling the trigger are especially useful as this comes back in the climax.

Thanks so much!

ETA: The range is indoor.

ETA2: I have emails out to my local shooting range and gun store asking if I can come in and talk to an employee for research. I still want every piece of information anyone is willing to give me, up to and including where to look for more information, so that I can ask as specific and intelligent questions as I possibly can. Thank you!

Last edited:

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
Indoor or outdoor range? You said "lane", so my first thought is indoor.
Because of the ambiance, many people prefer outdoor.
As for descriptions... I think I'd be able to find you a description more quickly than writing one. For now, you might try Youtube. That, and some ranges have webcams on their website.

Many ranges require first-timers to take a written safety test first. Much of what happens at the beginning is learning safe practices. Someone is going to be standing there coaching the beginner, maybe even scolding them for doing certain things wrong (like pointing a gun in anyone's direction, even with the finger off the trigger). That's part of the emotional experience - realizing you are holding a lethal weapon and putting your learning ahead of your pride.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Indoor or outdoor will be a big factor. An indoor range is immediately impressive for the noise. Even with ear protection, it takes some getting used to. My hands shake until I get used to it and since I'm there to shoot targets, trembling hands just won't do. So I really have to clamp down on my nerves to get past the noise and startle reflex as quickly as possible.

The smell is interesting. Gun oil smells wonderful to me, the burnt propellant (modern or old school gunpowder or whatever is used) not so much. It's very sharp and the back of my throat and eyes will start stinging from it after about half an hour.

It's funny, last time we were at a range (in February), my friend was taking video and we all thought I was a goof because I was somehow getting beaned in the head by the brass cartridges, but I didn't even flinch. When he started teasing me, I could only swear on a stack of Bibles that I had not been hit in the head. I didn't feel a thing. But on video, it was undeniable. So we all had a good laugh at how either unflinching or numb I was. Until we saw the videos of everyone else. We were all being pinged with the occasional cartridge, but it's simply so fast you don't feel a thing. It really enforced for me two key words: Eye. Protection.

For me, I also have fear at a gun range. I don't know these people. It's a room full of strangers and every one of them has a tool in their hand that could kill me with ease. Rationally, I know that it is an unlikely place for a gun to be used intentionally against someone (although it does happen.) In the end, you're trusting a lot. Trusting that the people around you aren't psychotic or careless or clumsy. It's unpleasant. And, for me, there's less confidence in walking out unharmed than there should be. I doubt more, not less for a little while and that probably says more about me being morbid than any truth there would be to find in that sort of thinking.

The actual target shooting is quite fun and the concussive blast from each shot is enjoyably impressive.

At outdoor ranges, everything else applies but the noise and the smell is less. But add glare and weather and I end up actually prefering indoor ranges.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
As far as the physical effects of a stint at the range, depending on what you're shooting, there will be a number of things you might notice. Your hands and shoulders get tired, because for the everyman, this is not a set of muscle movements that is well-developed. If I take my shotgun, it doesn't take too many imperfect stances to end up with a bruise in the crook of my shoulder. If you're firing semi-automatic pistols and you don't remember to keep your thumb knuckle down, you may very well find it grazed raw from the slide. (And will need to get that washed and covered. Don't want lead residue in it.)

I always leave with a burning throat and a fairly profound metallic taste in my mouth, with a strong urge for a gargle of mouthwash.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
There's a very nice indoor range up in Tulsa that I've started going to. They have a pro shop, with guns for sale and/or rent. Ammo on shelves behind the counter. Hearing and eye protection for sale (brands like Silencio). Some refreshments (soft drinks, mostly). Targets. A few t-shirts.

They give you a key-card with a number on it. You can hear gunfire (and watch through the glass wall), but the noise is more of a slightly muffled metallic thud, depending on the caliber. Not as loud as once you get inside the range. That key-card gets you through the security door to the range proper, and tells you what lane you're in. Eye and ear pro on before you go through that door.

Lanes here are about 3 feet wide. Range is about 75 feet to the beginning of the bullet trap. This particular range uses what's called a wet-trap system, so if you take your ear pro off when no one is shooting, you can actually hear the water running in the trap. it sounds a little like a distant creek after a rainstorm. Not a loud rush, but noticeable. Older ranges just have a sand-trap at the end, and narrower ranges. I've been to one that was barely wide enough for one person. Lousy for teaching.

A newer range isn't going to smell like gunsmoke (and for the love of God, don't mention cordite. Please.) The ventilation systems these days do a great job of cleaning the air. Most ranges will be a couple of degrees cooler than the pro shop, due to the heavy ventilation. Gunfire noises will be substantially louder than what you heard in the pro shop. I actually have a video I shot a couple of weeks ago that I'll upload to Youtube and link in here. (My oldest son is firing a .30 cal WW2 rifle. It's loud.) This range has clear-ish glass partitions between lanes. Other ranges will have solid walls. This keeps ejected brass from hitting your neighbors. There will be a bench of some sorts at the firing line. Most ranges require that guns come into the building in a holster or case or bag. They'll also say that you can't uncase a gun except at the firing line. Some will limit the number of guns in the individual lane.

There will be a t-rail (just like a garage door opener rail) running overhead down the middle of each lane. That's what the target carrier rides on. Some ranges have a forward/reverse lever to run the target out and back, and others have a keypad where you can set an exact distance. The carrier is usually a piece of steel with a couple of clips on it to hold the target, and those clips will usually have a piece of stell over them for protection against misses.

The older the range, the more you'll see pock marks on the walls and floors, ceilings and light fixtures, from where people fired slightly off-target. Some still have acoustic tiles up (like your grade school music room) to help keep the noise down. Others might use egg-crate foam, at least in the airlock between the pro shop and the range. My range has 15 lanes. All are the same length, but the first 4 are separated from teh others by a wall. They try and put rifle shooters in those lanes since rifles are usually much louder.

That should get you started. What else can I tell you?

ETA video: This is my oldest son firing a WW2 vintage Mosin-Nagant carbine in 7.62x54 caliber. We're the only ones on the range, and we're on the rifle side that I mentioned. https://youtu.be/o5LEFxnxveI

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You really need to get yourself to a gun range for this. Sights, sounds, smells, tastes and physical touch and sense all come into play. And a lot of it could be altered for what you need. Some ranges are more stagnant, some have a stiff breeze. Some are warm, some are cool. Some are dark, some well lit. Some are long and narrow, others wide and not too long. Some have electronic targets, some have paper targets on trolly systems. Some have steel targets. Some allow larger caliber, some do not. Some had padded walls, some have bare concrete. Some are pristine, others are dirty and have bullet-scarred walls and ceilings. Some have lobbies with glass windows, some have just a double door system to block noise. Some have video monitors, some have range officers on the line. Steel snail traps, ground rubber and even steel plates angled into a sand pit are used to capture bullets. Some allow reloaded ammo or ammo you bought elsewhere, some you have to buy ammo there. Some rent guns, including fully automatic ones, some do not. Some have rifle distances, some do not. Some are primarily male, others are mixed and some have ladies only periods.

If you cannot get to a range, check out videos on YouTube and other sites. You won't get smell, taste or feel, but you'll get a basic idea. What kind of impression or affect do you need the range to have on your character? We can probably help you achieve what you need, but it's not as simple as it might seem at first.

----

Daphne showed Curt how to adjust the ear muffs to fit his head. He was wearing his Boston Red Sox ball cap, she said it would help keep hot brass from landing on his face. Daphne had lent him eye protection, simple safety glasses like he had to wear in high school shop class. Her prescription glasses would protect her eyes. She carried the range bag through the double doors, which reminded him of a spaceship airlock, and she made sure the first was fully closed before opening the second. Even in the airlock he could hear sharp cracks and deep booms from other shooters on the line.

Daphne set the range bag on the back table and got out the guns. Two revolvers, a Ruger in .44 magnum and a Taurus in .357 Magnum. She also took out a box of ammo for each, .38 specials to shoot in the .357 so he could get used to the gun without the higher recoil. She also had her Glock 19 in 9mm, with three magazines, and a Ruger Mark III in .22 long rifle. He would be starting with the .22.

Curt flinched and spun sideways as a deep boom resonated in his bones and vibrated the vessels his blood was pumping through. He could feel the shock in his heart and his lungs as the man three lanes down pumped the shotgun and fired again. A blue silhouette about ten yards out was peppered with pellet holes and a few larger rips. Curt imagined a home invader on the receiving and and doubted anyone could live through that event. Daphne tapped him on the shoulder.

"Take the Glock and the .22 to the line and set them on the shelf. We can't load firearms until they are on the line, that was in your safety briefing."

Curt looked at the sign with the same notice hanging above the table. "I remember."

"Do you remember the four rules of gun safety?"

Curt just pointed to the poster above the table that had all four rules printed in large red letters. Three sharp cracks made him turn to his left and look at the woman on the end lane. She was dressed in a tight top with no cleavage showing, just as Daphne now was. "Hot brass between the girls" was how Daphne had described her choice of dress, also choosing flats instead of the open-toed heels she normally wore. The woman, probably in her mid forties, had an average build and the same extra padding in the thighs he saw in his mother. Somehow, holding the pistol made this woman appear a lot more attractive. He looked at Daphne and imagined her shooting a big gun. The shotgun shook him out of his imagination.

"Pay attention. You load the magazine like this, push down on the button on the side and drop the cartridges in with the bullets pointing this way." Daphne demonstrated by loading the first ten rounds for the .22 in just a few seconds. She slapped the magazine into the gun, racked the slide quickly, she had called it "slingshotting" when she was showing him at home, and set the safety on before laying the gun on the bench, with the muzzle pointed down range. She clipped the target, a drooling zombie in full color, to the clips on the trolly system and pushed a switch on the side of the lane, propelling the target out to the seven yard lard line painted on the cement floor of the range. The target rocked, then settled down, slightly tilted like the zombie was leaning in for the kill. Four more cracks echoed from the end lane. The man with the shotgun was putting it in a case and getting out a handgun.

Curt stepped to the line, wiped his sweaty palms on his jeans, and picked up the gun in his right hand. He twisted it sideways, making sure to keep the muzzle downrange while thinking about the security camera perched behind his head. A cool breeze came from a vent behind him, chilling his neck slightly and emphasizing the adrenalin rising in his system, heightening every sense and making him focus on the zombie before him. He could smell gunpowder and there was a slight metallic taste on his tongue. He imagined it was the blood of the zombie, laden with copper or some other foreign metal, oozing from the wounds on his body.

Gripping the gun tightly in his right hand, he wrapped his fingers from his left hand tightly around his right and made sure he squeezed his palms together to control the grip. He laid both thumbs along the left side of the gun, Daphne had showed him this grip and said it would avoid his thumb being bitten by the slide of the gun as it cycled. He took aim between the two posts on the back sight, lining up the red bead of the front sight on the zombie's forehead and slipped his index finger inside the trigger guard. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot was rule number three on the poster. Or maybe rule two. He squeezed the trigger slowly, anticipating the explosion in his hand and tightening his grip, but the trigger just stopped. No explosion, no bullet and no hole in the zombie's brain pan.

"Safety," Daphne tapped him on the shoulder.

Crap! He slipped the safety off like Daphne had showed him, again lining up the zombie skull in the sights. Squeezing slowly, a loud bang in the next lane made him flinch and he fired his shot six inches over the zombie's left shoulder. The casing from the spent round ejected, rebounded off the divider between lanes and smacked his right shoulder, teasing him for being such a wuss.

Daphne leaned in and gripped his arms from behind. "Muzzle down range."

He realized he was pointing his pistol straight up at the ceiling, lowered it to point at the still intact zombie and noticed the half-dozen holes in the ceiling from past shooters. Three more sharp cracks from the end lane and another large bang, accompanied by a cloud of gunsmoke drifting across his view, completed his initiation into the world of firearms. He felt like a man and knew he belonged here. And that the zombies would never reach him.

----

Hope it helps.

Jeff

Last edited:

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
So much depends on the type of range - not just indoor or outdoor, but the area it's in, the typical clientele, tech level, etc.

I've been to indoor ranges that look like a concrete bunker with beat-up bare wood benches where they would periodically stop shooting so everyone could go out and check/replace their targets. I've also been to ranges where everything was nicely constructed, you could run your target out on a system that had a digital display for distance, and the backstop was some high tech capture system.

Newer ranges often have sound dampening technology, include serious air filtration, may have programmable and movable target systems, and other cool features older, or less-well developed ranges may lack.

Not all indoor ranges allow rifles, and many indoor ranges from on practicing "drawing from the holster". There are ranges where that's OK - either because they have wider/sturdier dividers between lanes, or they're allowing it during certain types of practice (IPSC and USPSA matches or practice events come to mind).

I've walked into a range where everyone there felt the need to educate the woman in their midst, I've been in ones where I was pretty much ignored, and I've been in places where the guys really didn't seem to welcome a girl among the boys. Most of the time, though, I've found gun ranges to be fairly welcoming places, if a little reserved. The folks tend to be polite, and take some time to get to know you.

Yep, hearing and eye protection are a requirement. But you're still going to hear the gun fire.
Yep, you're gonna smell the gun powder, even in a newer, well-ventilated range - the difference is in intensity. Newer ranges, it's a minor thing. Ranges without adequate ventilation it can be pretty intense.

If you have a range in your area, call them up and ask to come by. They're likely to be very nice about it. If they offer lessons, ask what someone would experience if they took a lesson there. So long as you're not having your character learn to shoot for negative reasons (he's about to go on a killing spree, or something like that), you'll probably get a great reception.

Important note - if this character is a minor (not sure if this is the same character in another post) - they will not be allowed on the range, or to shoot at all without an adult with them. A minor cannot sign themselves up for classes. There has to be a parent/guardian/other adult who is not a gun range employee involved in this process.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
One thing is that you will sometimes see unusual firearms at a range. That can be kind of fun. The last time I was there, the guys next to us had some sort of shotgun pistol (that also could fire .45 bullets, too, I believe.) The sound was astounding. Never heard or seen anything quite like it.

In my experience, if someone brings something unusual, I've found them friendly and enthusiastic to explain and demonstrate it.

A trip to the gun range can be very educational - about firearms, other people, and yourself.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for going to a range and getting a feel.
We have indoor and outdoor ranges. And indoor ranges vary quite a bit. One, you get a key as a member and you can come and shoot whenever. The other is staffed and you get buzzed into an anteroom where you get your ear and eye pro on, then get buzzed in again to the actual range.

Our ranges have different ranges for pistols and rifles so obviously you won't find someone shooting a rifle down a pistol range. The indoor range uses tubes for the 50 and 100yd rifle ranges. The outdoor ones it's just a different area. Some of the outdoor range have 1000yds! The pistol ranges (indoor) all have the carriers for targets and you can send them out as far as you want. There are about ten lanes. The noise (with ear pro) isn't too bad but then again Im usually the noisiest one out there with a .45. It can be disconcerting when the room is full (as it is when we are shooting league)

On the outdoor ranges maybe indoor too but I've never seen it, you might find one with a range master, who will tell people to commence firing, and to cease firing, and they aren't kidding. That means, NOW. And then they'll call when it's clear to go out and check the target. Even for indoor ranges we bring binos to check the target (if I'm too lazy to bring it in).

As far as trigger pull, that's one where you really want to go shoot something (a type of firearm). Firearms vary. And you get into double and single action and why a trigger pull may be longer on the first shot then subsequent shots. And whether the person is learning on a semi auto (like weasel fire's example) or a revolver. The shooter still wants to squeeze a shot and not pull it (and it matters how much of your finger you use). If someone has been learning on a pistol that's too much for them and has too much recoil, they'll "anticipate" the recoil and pull a shot. One of many reasons why beginners typically learn on .22s. And you'll get into grip-- like weasel fire's guy i'm a two handed shooter but many of my colleagues shoot single handedly, even .45s.

In the ideal world, the beginner has already learned gun basics before getting near the range. They've learned about the parts of a pistol (I am assuming pistol here and not rifle), and ammo and so on, learned about safety basics, range commands and all that, so when they are standing in their stall, they aren't seeing things for the first time, particularly in a busy range. And then, when done, of course EVERYONE sweeps up their casings!

Of course, the very best thing is to take the NRA Basic pistol course. Worth every penny. It's about 14 hours. Thorough, interesting, and very, very safety oriented and you will get a very good sense of what shooting is all about. That may not be practical but if it is, as I said, a great course.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I've never been to a gun range in my life and don't even know how to buy a handgun

Thereby exactly expressing your problem: Why not just go to a gun range and take a look? They exist just about everywhere in the U.S. It's not like taking a trip to Tierra del Fuego. As for purchasing a gun, that's an even easier piece of research. Go to a gun dealership or a pawn shop, and find out firsthand.

caw

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
So go to a gun range.

I mean, the basic description is that there's a sort of hallway with booths along one side. There are doors on one or both ends of the hallway, to control access and contain noise. You're going to walk in with a tray with your gun, the magazine which must be removed, and a box of ammo. There's a switch on the side of the booth that works an electric pulley; you use clips hanging from this to hang a paper target, then flip the switch to send it downrange to the desired range, swinging in the breeze. Then load and start shooting. The rules are that you have to fire once and then wait, or maybe short bursts.

Umm, when you shoot, the gun goes bang, flies up and back, and then you hear clink from the ejected casing hitting the concrete floor. Of course you'll also be hearing these noises from other shooters. Of course you wear ear protection, but it's still loud. You wear eye protection too.

Then when you're done you have to sweep up your brass casings and throw them out. The place is generally always a bit messy, because everybody misses a few when sweeping up. You'll also collect your paper target to get a closer look at how you've done. You might go through a few in one session.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Just adding that not all shooting is done at a range. depending on where you are, your MC could also do some shooting at a gravel pit or something. We do. It's free! you can set your target where ever you want and pace off the distance. If you can't get to a range, you could have your MC do that...;)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I think it's a great idea for JFC to visit a gun range if possible, but that really shouldn't preclude his (or her) asking willing AWers to share their impressions and experiences of such places for nuggets of insight or anecdote that might benefit the work-in-progress in ways that a quick, novice-on-a-research-trip visit might not.

I have asked a number of questions, on various topics, where the writerly people here have been happy to share their knowledge of the thing I happen to be researching - and it's very often been far more valuable to me than dry articles or brief firsthand encounters with the object of study. (Not that I don't also seek out the articles and in-person experiences to inform my work. It's just that writers often look at things differently and their perceptions and interpretations of in-depth experience are not only articulate, but often delightful in a I didn't even know what I didn't know! kind of way.)

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of impression or affect do you need the range to have on your character? We can probably help you achieve what you need, but it's not as simple as it might seem at first.

Honestly? I need him to learn to shoot. I need him to come out of it feeling that if push comes to shove, in a him-or-them situation, he is physically and mentally capable of shooting someone. I need him to feel confident and competent right before I hit him with lightning. I mean what? Who said that? When he actually does shoot someone he'll have repercussions but for now I want the aftereffects to be positive.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
This last time we went, we took a writer friend who had come over from England. He had never fired a handgun and, beyond a WWII pistol that didn't have a firing pin in it, I'm not sure if he'd ever even been around any handgun at all.

He was a damned natural. The gun range guy showed him how to hold the thing, popped some ear protection on him, pointed him in the right direction and, basically, bullseye.

I rather hated him in the moment.

By the time he left, he seemed to feel very confident. That said, and like you said, a little range practice is a million miles from an armed confrontation.

So really, sky's the limit on this and you can tailor your character's reaction to just about anything from abject cringing to nearly instant competence.

ETA - His right hand was a bit sore after all was done. We stayed for about an hour and a half and I can't even remember how many rounds we fired. It was lots and the muscles in his hand weren't used to it. To be fair, I think we all felt it.

Last edited:

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea for JFC to visit a gun range if possible, but that really shouldn't preclude his (or her) asking willing AWers to share their impressions and experiences of such places for nuggets of insight or anecdote that might benefit the work-in-progress in ways that a quick, novice-on-a-research-trip visit might not.

Totally agree. This is a tremendous resource. That said though, "the sensory experience" varies a LOT. Old wooden backboards pockmarked with bullet holes? Sure! Shiny clean with great ventilation? Sure! A "range guy"? Sure! No range guy at all but open 24 hours? Sure! Windows to watch shooters? Sure! No windows? Sure! All that is great for a story because a lot of things are possible, but it's also one area where visiting one might give the writer confidence and a real sense of the experience. But I agree it certainly is not necessary.

As far as "learning to shoot" i'd keep it general, (of course my favorite option is take a class, because the classes are awesome). A general reference to someone learning is quite plausible. The writer could mention grip, or sights, or breath control and all that, but even if they didn't, as long as they weren't "slamming home a clip" or "dropping the mag from the revolver" or something, it would be totally possible. An afternoon spent learning the basics of shooting

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So, go to the gun range already! Most will rent handguns, sell you ammo, and provide hearing protection. If you call ahead and talk to the owner and manager and explain that you are a writer and have never fired a gun before you can probably get them to give you a lesson, even if that is something they don't normally do. (Depends on the range).

What state are you in? What state does the story take place? I ask because laws regarding handgun purchases and rental do vary slightly from state to state. There are some federal laws regarding purchases that apply everywhere (the requirement to do a phone NICS check and fill out a ATF form 4473) and then there are additional regs added by some states (such as waiting periods, or requirements to get a permit to purchase a handgun, etc).

I'm an instructor and spend a lot of time at indoor and outdoor ranges. Indoor ranges almost always are connected to a gun shop that runs the range. The tech level of the range, overall cleanliness, air cleaning system, etc, vary on the age of the range and building. I've shot in everything from a range in a 50 year old gunshop with inadequate air circulation and a steel armor backstop that would occassionally send large bullet fragments richochetting back to hit you hard enough to draw blood, to brand new ranges with polymer "bullet trap" tech that absorbs all fragments and air cleaning systems that make the range air cleaner then the air outside the shop! (One little detail. At that old range, after spending 3 hours teaching a class, I'd be sneezing up black snot afterwards and until the next day and could literally taste the lead. At the new range, that didn't happen).

Old ranges will tend to have older target pulley systems operated by hand (sometimes) or more frequently with a light switch type arrangment. (Towards you to bring it closer, away to push it away). Newer ranges often have a keypad type setup where you punch in the distance you want and hit "Enter" and it runs the target out to that distance.

Most ranges have a "airlock" system with two sets of doors between the range and the gunshop. You go through the first set, from the shop to the range, and close that door behind you. You then open and go through the second set to get to the actual range. This is to reduce noise in the gunshop and also is part of the air cleaning system.

Seriously though, the best way to get a feel is to arrange for a lesson at a local shop. Call ahead and you should be able to set something up, even if they don't normally do lessons.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
One thing is that you will sometimes see unusual firearms at a range. That can be kind of fun. The last time I was there, the guys next to us had some sort of shotgun pistol (that also could fire .45 bullets, too, I believe.) The sound was astounding. Never heard or seen anything quite like it.

The Taurus Judge (or the S&W Governor). You can load it with .45 Colt or .410 shotgun shells. It's a fun weapon.

There's also a rifle version of it called the Circuit Judge.

OP, you've gotten a lot of good detail on the sensory advice. I'd caution you that firing at a range is vastly VASTLY different from a self-defense situation. I actually find it pretty implausible that after going to a range one time someone would have the attitude of, "yeah, I got this, I could shoot someone!" and if they did, I'd be skeptical they should be someone who has a weapon. The first time I went to a range I left with a greater impression of what I didn't know than what I did.

Indoor ranges are generally not somewhere you can practice some aspects necessary to self-defense shooting, either. e.g., most indoor ranges I've fired at have very strict rules about not doing any holster work or drawing/firing. Or rapid firing. (Outdoor ranges often have rules about this, too, in my experience -- depending on the range -- though every state I've lived in has been a gun-unfriendly one, so this experience may be limited.) Working from a holster is initially awkward if you're used to only working from a bench -- I wouldn't say it's hard to get the hang of but it's also not something you'd automatically feel comfortable with if you've only fired at a range where you were picking your firearm up off the bench. (Even people with good muzzle discipline sometimes have trouble not crossing their own bodies when first drawing from a holster, too, because it's a different-enough motion and sometimes there are clothes getting in the way etc.) And there are a lot of other aspects you get in a tactical situation you simply don't practice at most ranges (movement, assessment, cover...).

Maybe it's possible an indoor range would offer a specific self-defense or tactical course -- someone like Trebor would know better than I would whether that's plausible.

Last edited:

Trebor1415

Registered
Reaction score
"Maybe it's possible an indoor range would offer a specific self-defense or tactical course -- someone like Trebor would know better than I would whether that's plausible."

Yeah, that's fairly common. Anything from a brief "how to safely draw from a holster" class that they make you take before they let you draw from a holster at their range up to a full day defensive shooting class.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I spend half my time at various gun ranges. Some are outdoor and have no range officer. Some are outdoor and have a range officer who keeps control. Some are indoor and high tech all the way. You really need to go yourself. Otherwise, you're just getting someone else's impression, and it will probably be that of someone completely unlike your character. Go to the range.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Most likely a Judge. It's a Taurus .410/.45. They're actually very, very common. S&W also makes one called the Governor. It's a better revolver, but not quite as common yet because it's more expensive, and Taurus got there first.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ETA2: I have emails out to my local shooting range and gun store asking if I can come in and talk to an employee for research. I still want every piece of information anyone is willing to give me, up to and including where to look for more information, so that I can ask as specific and intelligent questions as I possibly can. Thank you!

What area are you in? I may have a near or even local contact that can help you, NRA trainer, Range Officer, Gunsmith, etc. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post publicly.

Jeff

Trebor1415

Registered
Reaction score
What area are you in? I may have a near or even local contact that can help you, NRA trainer, Range Officer, Gunsmith, etc. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post publicly.

Jeff

This. If you are in Michigan I'll take you to the range if you are near the Detroit area.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in southern Ohio. In two weeks I'll be in Michigan but way up north, hours from Detroit. It's cool, both places got back to me, I have an appointment at the gun range and permission to come in and harass ask dumb questions at the gun store. Thanks for the offers. :)

Although, WeaselFire, if you know someone who works in Massachusetts (Boston or Western MA) or Portland, Oregon, I would love a local person I could email or call for more specific details of ranges and protocols in that area.