PDA

View Full Version : Circling back with an agent/publisher to tell about a new pub credit

MothAnkles
07-21-2015, 07:01 PM
As part of a last push last month, I have a few fulls and partials out to a variety of agents and indie publishers. I just received an acceptance for a short story that will be published in a nice MFA-associated literary journal (forthcoming in fall).

I want to circle back with them with a professional version of "btw, just notched a publishing credit in an MFA journal since we last spoke, hows that decision to pay me for my awesome novel coming along?". Do agents/publishers give a shit? Will this help sell them at all? Maybe if on the fence? Is it unnecessary and a negative annoyance to do this? Any agents with experience with this?

Thedrellum
07-21-2015, 08:16 PM
The publishing credit won't help much, in my opinion. If it was a sale to The Paris Review or The New Yorker or something similar, maybe it would, but even then the focus for publishers is on the book before them. For agents, having publications might sway them in their favor if they like the novel they have but they don't think it's quite there yet--publications might convince them you can handle revisions (at least that's what happened with my agent).

So, I would not nudge on this account. Congratulations on the acceptance, though!

MothAnkles
08-01-2015, 06:11 AM
The publishing credit won't help much, in my opinion. If it was a sale to The Paris Review or The New Yorker or something similar, maybe it would, but even then the focus for publishers is on the book before them. For agents, having publications might sway them in their favor if they like the novel they have but they don't think it's quite there yet--publications might convince them you can handle revisions (at least that's what happened with my agent).

So, I would not nudge on this account. Congratulations on the acceptance, though!

It didn't help. I got a rejection shortly after. lol

Scythe-Of-Winter
08-24-2015, 03:07 PM
It can help.
An agent reached out to me, asking for more details on my MSS before requesting the full, because she was on the fence about it. I told her that I'd recently had a short story published by Pan Macmillan under their Nature imprint (science-fiction short story) and I *think* is what convinced her to ask for a full.
It can work, definitely.

Aggy B.
08-24-2015, 03:47 PM
Pro-sales of short stories don't hurt. When I first talked to my agent he was pleased to see that I had a handful of pro/semi-pro sales. But that wasn't a tipping point for his offer of rep or even in him asking to see the full.

It's certainly something to include in future queries, but don't stress about letting folks know if you queried them before the sale.

Punkin
01-17-2016, 01:53 AM
Generally, shorties in journals don't count for much when pitching a novel. Your success with a novel will rest on your story and platform.