Favorite Dystopian Book?

AprilMay4

Registered
Reaction score
I've been searching far and wide for good dystopian novels, but the ones I find seem to have bad ratings. For example, The 100 had such a good sounding plot, but then got terrible reviews. I also recently started Nova which started out great, but then became boring after the first 10 chapters. (I should have read the reviews before buying it). It's been difficult finding good dystopian novels and I am a beginner dystopian author, so I am looking for good authors to learn from. What are your favorite dystopian novels?

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really liked The Dog Stars by Peter Heller. I also really enjoyed Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A Canticle for Leibowitz, by ? Can't remember the author. I always considered it post-apocolyptic, but not in a Mad Max way.

MM

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale is excellent also.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Right now I'm reading Emily St. John Mandel's Station Eleven and it's looking to be right up there. Great book.

AprilMay4

Registered
Reaction score
All of these suggestions look so good! It'll be hard to choose which to read first. Maybe I should go in alphabetical order.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
There's one called We by Yevengy Zamyatin that's also very good.

It's not strictly dystopian, but Resurrection, Inc by Kevin J. Anderson is a good read as well. I didn't see Children of Men namechecked, but that's also a good read.

Zaris

Registered
Reaction score
I would definitely say „1984”... It is a very actual book.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if all of these are dystopian -- futuristic stuff really isn't my thing -- but these books might capture your interest:

1984 and Fahrenheit 451 were pretty awesome, in my opinion.

I also liked Philip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle, although I gotta confess that I sort of didn't understand it. Dick's Minority Report was pretty good, too.

I read A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess when I was in high school. It was OK but I didn't dig some of the intensely violent scenes.

Write_At_1st_Light

Writer of Nothingnesses
Registered
Reaction score
123 Pencilvania Ave, Writers Block, CA 90210
Website
www.DavidRedstone.com
Not sure if all of these are dystopian -- futuristic stuff really isn't my thing -- but these books might capture your interest:

1984 and Fahrenheit 451 were pretty awesome, in my opinion.

I also liked Philip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle, although I gotta confess that I sort of didn't understand it. Dick's Minority Report was pretty good, too.

I read A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess when I was in high school. It was OK but I didn't dig some of the intensely violent scenes.
Yeahp Vito, I agree on Clockwork Orange. Fortunately they didn't require us to read that in high school and I thumbed through it later. Didn't make much of an impact because I barely remember anything from it.

Fahrenheit 451 has its violence, but it very neatly fits the premise - even the senseless violence within.

As long as we're mentioning the major-leaguer George Orwell so frequently, I'd like to recommend Animal Farm in addition to his colossal 1984.

Also wanted to underscore the 3-book Colossus series from D.F. Jones. Very appropos, especially with our near-total dependency upon computer technology today.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Yeahp Vito, I agree on Clockwork Orange. Fortunately they didn't require us to read that in high school and I thumbed through it later. Didn't make much of an impact because I barely remember anything from it.

It wasn't one of the assigned readings for my sophomore World Lit class. I selected it for the required independent book report, mainly because I loved the Mad Magazine parody of the movie. Mad renamed it "A Clockwork Lemon". On the magazine cover, Alfred E. Neuman wore a derby and eye makeup, just like Malcolm McDowell did in the movie. I thought it was pretty hilarious! :ROFL:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I can only echo the classics: 1984, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, The Time Machine, A Clockwork Orange, Logan's Run, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and Harry Harrison's "Make Room! Make Room!" which was the movie Soylent Green was loosely based on.