PDA

View Full Version : After Perusing Several of Your Novels . . .

Ken
07-18-2015, 03:06 PM
. . . stories, and/or poems what conclusions might readers draw about you as an author or everyday joe or jane other than that you are a rad writer as you most assuredly are !

Corsairs
07-18-2015, 05:28 PM
I'm cheating by answering this question since I don't have a library of books to peruse. But thinking over the two books I've completed and am currently editing, I suppose the picture of me I hope readers come away with is that I bring a kind of playful wit to otherwise serious situations. I think that's true of me in life, and I hope it's apparent in my writing.

Of course, it's just as likely that nobody likes my books at all, in which case we can conclude that my childhood unpopularity has bled into my professional ambitions.

Dennis E. Taylor
07-18-2015, 06:56 PM
Both of my books so far have Star Trek and Star Wars references, and are heavy on the tech. The second one makes it pretty obvious I'm into computers as well.

NRoach
07-18-2015, 07:14 PM
Probably that I'm not a happy person, with a fascination with lesbian characters.

Liosse de Velishaf
07-18-2015, 07:55 PM
That I'm a rather pessimistic person with an unhealthy interest in mass death and war? Or that I really like AI and augmented reality, if they're reading my scifi...

Perks
07-18-2015, 08:08 PM
That I have a weird sense of humor.

chompers
07-18-2015, 08:19 PM
That I'm a New Agey type of person (which I'm not). Actually, I'm not even sure if that's the right term for it.

Latina Bunny
07-18-2015, 08:44 PM
My collection: Mostly MG/YA fantasy (with a few contemporary fantasy) with princesses, mermaids, and/or fairy tale characters; light-hearted or gentle MG contemporary with female protagonists; Star Wars (but not other scifi); superhero comics; shounen (boys' action/sports) manga; several contemporary boys' sports books; several romances (adult and YA M/M).

Diagnosis? Uh...I'm immature, I guess, lol?
That I'm a hopeful person who daydreams about fantasy?
*shrugs* Don't know what to think about myself.

A.P.M.
07-18-2015, 09:45 PM
That I have a fetish for cyborgs.

It's not wrong, either. :tongue

Brightdreamer
07-18-2015, 09:53 PM
"Hey - none of these are finished! What kind of a loser doesn't finish their stories?"

I really don't know what people would think, except maybe I don't like reality. (All my stuff so far is SF/F.)

Sage
07-18-2015, 10:51 PM
Looks are either really important to me or not important at all (invisible characters), I either love or hate touching people (intangible characters, characters whose touch is dangerous), I held onto my imaginary friends too long (true, btw), and I've watched too much Buffy the Vampire Slayer in my life

Norman D Gutter
07-19-2015, 01:38 AM
That I write about the virtuous man.

Kylabelle
07-19-2015, 01:59 AM
That I write about the virtuous man.

I agree.

As for me, people often think I am strange and possibly not from here.

KateSmash
07-19-2015, 02:00 AM
"Hey - none of these are finished! What kind of a loser doesn't finish their stories?"

I really don't know what people would think, except maybe I don't like reality. (All my stuff so far is SF/F.)

Pretty much all of the above.

William Haskins
07-19-2015, 03:50 AM
that i am unpleasant, unnecessarily bleak and would not be very good in social settings.

Aggy B.
07-19-2015, 05:32 AM
That I'm fascinated by relationships, but don't write romance. I am fond of the spiritual but prefer to express it outside existing religions. And I have a rain fetish.

blacbird
07-19-2015, 06:08 AM
In novels, I seem to gravitate toward irony and dark satire. With short stories, generally dark fantasy. I tend not to tell happy stories about beautiful gardens with butterflies and pretty flowers and people living happily ever after.

In other words, I'm a realist.

caw

Haggis
07-19-2015, 06:15 AM
That I don't seem to see the difference between humor and horror and my breath smells of kibble.

Channy
07-19-2015, 06:27 AM
That I've got some sort of hemo-erotic fetish and like to see people suffering....wherein I'm actually the opposite. If I had my book made into a movie, the amount of bloodshed and injuries would have me cowering, waiting for the queasy bits to be over. For some reason... I have this morbid fascination with writing what I can't stand.

lilyWhite
07-19-2015, 06:32 AM
That I totally have a thing for cat-girls. And sirens. And dryads. Many kinds of non-human humanoid ladies, really.

And what Brightdreamer said. It's exactly what I think of myself, why should anyone else deny the truth? :greenie

Channy
07-19-2015, 10:03 AM
That I totally have a thing for cat-girls.

I don't see enough novels with cat girls...

Ken
07-19-2015, 03:50 PM
Can relate to a lot of these assessments. Deranged probably sums it up best for me. Sigh.

Pep rally for those with "uncompleted stories." One thing readers never know is how long it took or if you put one aside for awhile and returned to it later. All they have is the finished product in front of them. So for all they know you wrote it straight through in a matter of weeks or days or months, etc. Your secret is safe with me! ;-)

Taylor Harbin
07-19-2015, 04:32 PM
Hm...they might deduce that I enjoy escapism to wondrous, far away places, but that I'm very conservative (noticeable lack of cursing and explicit sex in my work). They might also garner that I have a deep appreciation of history. There isn't much to go on, since I've only completed two novels. Now, my library, THAT would tell you something.

sohalt
07-19-2015, 05:04 PM
If I think too much about that, I will never complete anything. At any rate, I'm assuming it will be unflattering.

ElaineA
07-19-2015, 05:09 PM
If I think too much about that, I will never complete anything. At any rate, I'm assuming it will be unflattering.

This. There's just too. much. sex. :greenie

Shunter
07-19-2015, 07:32 PM
I had a beta point out from a short story that I obviously have personal knowledge about depression and loneliness. That rather struck me. I also had another recommend her favorite horror movies to me, as she assumed since I write horror, I enjoy it. From posting quotes from my writing on twitter, someone inferred I either really love morbid humor or am deliberately using it for the grabbing shock value.

The answers are: Yes, no, yes, and you caught me. So really, pretty accurate. Interesting question, and interesting thread.

flapperphilosopher
07-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Readers would probably suspect that I'm an anxious over-thinker, but also a person with a lot of empathy and compassion. They'd probably assume I have experience with deep love (both romantic and not) and old-school photography. Some of these things are more accurate than others.

juniper
07-19-2015, 09:19 PM
After Perusing Several of Your Novels . . .

. . . stories, and/or poems what conclusions might readers draw about you as an author or everyday joe or jane other than that you are a rad writer as you most assuredly are !

That I believe many people (at least the interesting ones) have backgrounds and layers of emotions and thoughts that stay hidden much of the time. That we can't ever really know someone else completely, and can be surprised, pleasantly or unpleasantly.

I am fond of the spiritual but prefer to express it outside existing religions. And I have a rain fetish.

Those fit me too.

Jamesaritchie
07-20-2015, 02:54 AM

I have no idea, no way of knowing, and wouldn't care, anyway.

ZachJPayne
07-20-2015, 03:02 AM
Well, let's assume I've published my current WIP trilogy:

A queer-rights endorsing musical theatre fanatic who has a serious axe to grind with organized Christianity and our nuclear-family-centric society.

There should also be something noted about the 5:1 named female to male character ratio. And the fact that most of the supportive adult characters have postgrad degrees.

Brightdreamer
07-20-2015, 04:42 AM
I have no idea, no way of knowing, and wouldn't care, anyway.

Are you sure you don't care? Wouldn't you at least want them to think "This JAR guy is someone worth spending more of my money on"? ;)

Bolero
07-22-2015, 01:57 PM
Just thinking - the inner you is not necessarily the outer you. There was an author I saw at a convention, thought he was absolutely hilarious on panels, bought the first book of his I spotted on a stall without even reading the cover - and it was a dark twisted horror. :(
However a couple of other authors I liked on panels I did like their books - so it works sometimes.
Maybe the inner you comes out in odd ways in the outer you and is a bit transmogrified by the time it is visible.

Pagey's_Girl
07-23-2015, 08:52 PM
Good question - perhaps that I'm a liberal hippiechick, pro same-sex marriage, animal lover and wannabe rock star who realized early on she had less talent than Milli Vanilli and stuck to writing about bands instead. And that I'm a total weather geek who would go into withdrawal without the Weather Channel.

Gilroy Cullen
07-23-2015, 09:13 PM
That I'm a scatterbrained schizophrenic who can't seem to settle on any one issue. I write from all sides of all issues.

Lissibith
07-23-2015, 10:26 PM
That I am a depressed person with an unhealthy obsession with mind control >.>

Ken
07-24-2015, 02:32 PM
Just thinking - the inner you is not necessarily the outer you. There was an author I saw at a convention, thought he was absolutely hilarious on panels, bought the first book of his I spotted on a stall without even reading the cover - and it was a dark twisted horror. :(
However a couple of other authors I liked on panels I did like their books - so it works sometimes.
Maybe the inner you comes out in odd ways in the outer you and is a bit transmogrified by the time it is visible.

I guess part of it is that at conventions authors may tend to put on staged/rehearsed performances to be entertaining and engaging, to some extent or other. Have tea with them at some café and you'd probably get to know another side of them that might be more similar with how they write. Just an uneducated guess.

ps continuing to relate ^

Namatu
07-24-2015, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure what people would think after perusing several of my novels. That I'm conspiracy-minded and do not believe in happy endings?

WriteMinded
07-24-2015, 05:54 PM
That I'm a depressive with a sense of humor.

Varthikes
07-25-2015, 03:00 PM
Last three books involve: spaceships, dragons, interspecies friendships; including references to Star Trek, Star Wars, FarScape, Stargate (if they look carefully), Dragonriders of Pern, Marx Brothers, Gone With the Wind.

Current WIP involves: spaceships, time travel, out of control robots, dinosaurs, alien invasion.

I'm guessing people will say I'm a science fiction fan (which I am), love dragons (I do), value friendship, I pour everything I can into my work, defy some genre boundaries, and believe in creation.

Ravioli
07-25-2015, 03:18 PM
Obvious things you'll conclude about me:

-Oh wow, she's a Whovian
-Oh wow, she needs to stay away from my children
-Oh wow, she needs to get laid
-Oh wow, she probably owns a zoo
-Oh wow, she sure hates Israel
-Oh shit
-Oh crap
-Oh f*cking hell
-OMFG
-Take her away, give 10 of diazepam
-Oh wow, she's into touchy, ADHD-afflicted, unstable, bunny-hugging emos with diplomas, eh? Stinking hipster heaux!
-$50 says she dated that Ameer guy and he dumped her
-$50 says she hates religious people
-$50 says the MC is based on her own life
-$50 says the Muslim sidekick is real word for word
-$50 says the workplace drama is real events
-$50 says she's eyeball-done her sibling
-$50 says she knows about all the afflictions in the book first f*cking hand
-Can you get a restraining order or file assault charges against a writer, for writing?
-She was a whore in a previous life
-Let's put her on suicide watch
-GET THE F LAID AND LEAVE US ALONE!!!!!!!