PDA

View Full Version : When you find yourself saying "I can't even", go back and read this again

BenPanced
07-14-2015, 08:38 PM
An Artist's Before-And-After Drawings Show What Happens When You Actually Stick To Your Dreams (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/artist-before-after-drawings_559ff8c5e4b05b1d0290378d?ir=Good+News&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000023)

Jamesaritchie
07-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Sorry, I stopped reading when the first sentence mentioned the 10,000 hour silliness that not only doesn't make sense, but that has been completely debunked innumerable times. It's now an excuse not to succeed until somewhere way the heck down the line.

And when the 10,000 hours is finally reached, and the person still can't write or draw or do whatever worth squat, they realize something is dreadfully wrong with that theory, and that believing it may have destroyed their lives.

jjdebenedictis
07-14-2015, 10:57 PM
Hmm, he offers courses... I would like to take my art to the next level, but I sure have been finding that a frustrating process. Thanks for the link, Ben!

Brutal Mustang
07-14-2015, 11:06 PM
This is inspiring. I've seen his work floating around the internet for some time now, but didn't know his story. I too, am an artist struggling to get someplace special, and can relate.

BenPanced
07-14-2015, 11:07 PM
:hi: You're welcome!

Introversion
07-15-2015, 12:31 AM
I interpret "10,000 hours" as "a long sweaty time". Hard to see how anyone can take issue with that? Perhaps genius can take the express lane to success, but the rest of us must wax on / wax off as best we can.

jjdebenedictis
07-15-2015, 01:03 AM
I interpret "10,000 hours" as "a long sweaty time". Hard to see how anyone can take issue with that? Perhaps genius can take the detour to success, but the rest of us must wax on / wax off as best we can.Yes, it's not so much "stick to your dreams" as "work hard and effectively at it".

RightHoJeeves
07-15-2015, 10:41 PM
Sorry, I stopped reading when the first sentence mentioned the 10,000 hour silliness that not only doesn't make sense, but that has been completely debunked innumerable times. It's now an excuse not to succeed until somewhere way the heck down the line.

And when the 10,000 hours is finally reached, and the person still can't write or draw or do whatever worth squat, they realize something is dreadfully wrong with that theory, and that believing it may have destroyed their lives.

I think the point is the guy worked hard at it over a long period of time and became quite good.