PDA

View Full Version : word hang ups

Stew21
07-14-2015, 06:03 AM
Ever get a word stuck in your head? You know it's for a poem, because inspiration is like that.

For days now I've had a word. I know it's my metaphor, possibly just my title but i can't nail down the vehicle for the thought.

I've scratched at it, tugged at it, researched it, pulled in my usual favorite subjects (suspects). I've written the word on paper at least 100 times. (Im like Jack freakin Torrance).
I'm obsessed. And stuck.
What do you do when a word won't go away?

Here's what I'm going to do:

I'm giving you the word. You try.
As a life philosophy i believe what you put into the world comes back to you. Maybe giving you my word will help me.

So use my word hang up or offer up your word hang up or just discuss how you overcome your stuck words.

No big deal if you don't. This can sink and that's ok. But maybe my word is the one you are looking for.

My word hang up is:

Cunabula

It's Latin for Cradle, Origin, birthplace.

What's yours?

Steppe
07-14-2015, 08:07 AM
Could not find the word in my ten dictionaries. Must not be used in English. I like the sound of, "my caramel coated cunabula".

When I get a word like this I say I'll use it someday, but when that day comes along, I've forgotten it. I should make lists but I think I should have started that a long time ago.

Stew21
07-14-2015, 03:39 PM
It's Latin. The closest to it would be incunable. Which are original first typeset manuscripts dated around 15th century.

Xelebes
07-18-2015, 10:56 PM
Sough - the nasal register of voice used in the prayers of Scots during the 16th century, the foundation for the nasal singing found in North American country music. Similar to the chanting of the first nations in the plains and prairies, although often quieter.

The problem is I don't know if it rhymes with tough, cough, though, bough, or lough.

Kylabelle
07-18-2015, 11:03 PM
Xelebes, how is that said? Is it "soo" or "suff" or?

I don't currently have a word hang up but one I had for a while was cotyledon. I ended up using it in a poem. It's the name of the first emerging green parts of a seedling, not yet true leaves. I love that word.

Xelebes
07-18-2015, 11:55 PM
I honestly don't know. The word looks so useful but finding information on its pronunciation is difficult. Perhaps someone from Scotland might know.

Kylabelle
07-18-2015, 11:57 PM
Well, this says it's either: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sough