Question For Readers of "The 5th Wave"

LeftyWriter

Super Turtle
Registered
Reaction score
Minor Spoilers Ahead:

Hi, there! I really wasn't sure where to post this since it's a book question, not a writing question. But the Office Party seemed pretty generalized, so I thought I'd give it a try.

So, I'm currently reading "The 5th Wave". I just finished part three "Silencer" and I have a question about Cassie's POV.

I thought it was just told as a normal 1st Person POV, Present tense with her recalling stuff that happened in the past to bring us up to speed in past tense. But there was a line towards the beginning when she's listing off all of her belongings and mentions her journals. She says something like "If you're an alien and you're reading this: bite me." So, is her entire perspective told from her journals then? Are we technically the alien that could be reading it? Or just her passed-tense stuff?

I tried to ignore it for a while and read on, but then I read the Silencer part where he talks about having read her journals and recites lines from them which are the same lines she says earlier in the book. Were they just repeated because that's what she was thinking about? Or is her entire narrative, past and present, told from her recalling it in journals?

If you've read the book, I would really like to know how you took it. It's driving me nuts because if it's from her journals then it's really bugging me and is taking the suspense out of it, but if it's not, then I'm really enjoying it. Ben's POV was told in a similar 1st Person narrative but he doesn't have a journal, right? I know it's a technicality I'm hung up on but it changes the whole feel of everything depending on which it is. So, I'd just like to know how you took it. Journals or no journals.

Thanks a bunch!

-Lefty