Interview with Andy Weir about 'The Martian'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting audio interview. The guy still sounds boggled by his success.

http://rainmaker.fm/audio/authorpreneur/andy-weir/

Something I find especially interesting-- partly because I think it applies to my current WIP-- is his comments about why he thinks The Martian did so well. His point is that hard/technical SF seems to be an under-represented sub-genre right now. I tend to agree, and I think it might have something to do with constant advice to "show don't tell" and "exposition bad." Not that I think those are bad guidelines (I don't want to start that kind of argument), but this is a case of know your audience. Books like The Martian probably appeal to people who go browse Staples and Radio Shack for enjoyment. :D (Of which I'm one, BTW)

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's success also comes from good writing, and while I don't want to start an argument either, I think it has excellent show don't tell. I don't know that hard/technical SF is an under represented sub-genre, though. It seems like at least half the SF books I find fall into this category. At least the publisher defines them as hard SF.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First, I loved the book, so I'm not really going to "disagree" with you. But a lot of the technical details that the MC goes into would, I think, get you a show-don't-tell or core-dump accusation in places like CC. That's not to say they're right, but you get slapped with that a few times, you might start to back off on the technobabble a bit. Which is unfortunate, because there's a core of technophile SF readers that just eat that stuff up.

As for the preponderance or non- of hard SF, I'm almost exclusively an SF reader, and I believe there's a lot less of it than there used to be. Or maybe there's just a lot more of the other kinds, so it's getting harder to find. Either or.

Status
Not open for further replies.