PDA

View Full Version : "I Don't See Color"

Lavern08
07-11-2015, 12:19 AM
I think that's what my neighbors were trying to say to me when - 2 1/2 years ago - Hubby and I bought a townhouse in a rather upscale community.

After only 2 months, the FOR SALE sign was planted in our next-door-neighbors yard.

It just so happened that I was walking out of our garage as they were loading up the moving van on a Saturday morning, and I looked up and spoke to the "man of the house."

He smiled, said "Good morning." Then he added, "Just want you to know our moving has nothing to do with you."

I was stunned - Not angry, not upset - Just stunned.

Usually not one who is ever at a loss for words, I just smiled and got into my car and headed to the grocery store.

Now his remark floored me and caught me totally by surprise for the following reasons:
1. It never occurred to me that he was guilty of "White Flight" - We just assumed he got a job transfer or whatever. :Shrug:
2. I suppose that was his way of saying "I don't see color."
3. Why did he feel he needed to explain his reason for moving in the first place?
4. Would he had said the same thing to a non-POC?
5. I was a little ticked, because the snarky me should have said "Why would you move because of me?"

I told my hubby about it when I returned home - We had a good chuckle and a delicious lunch. :)

Yanno, when people say: "I don't notice people's race," I'm sure they mean well, but I always wanna ask them if they say the same thing to white or Caucasian people. :Huh:

shakeysix
07-11-2015, 12:24 AM
You're not a brewery worker from Milwaukee?????? --s6

Pony.
07-11-2015, 12:32 AM
I love messing with people like that, its just so fun to make them squirm.

Lavern08
07-11-2015, 12:36 AM
Busted!!! :roll:

kuwisdelu
07-11-2015, 12:47 AM

To be perfectly honest, this was my first reaction, too.

It never occurred to me that you didn't look like exactly like Laverne de Fazio.

(Ignore for a moment that someone my age is actually familiar with that show.)

Incidentally, I'm not a 14-year-old red-haired German-Japanese girl with an eyepatch.

Pony.
07-11-2015, 12:49 AM
I have to add, I wouldn't have let him off the hook that easily. He would have been easy prey.

CassandraW
07-11-2015, 12:54 AM
I am, in fact, a little girl holding an enormous fanged beast. Don't get too close and you'll be fine.

Lavern, I really wish you'd smiled sweetly and said "Why would you move because of me?" You (and the neighborhood) are well rid of that particular neighbor.

kuwisdelu
07-11-2015, 12:56 AM
I am, in fact, a little girl holding an enormous fanged beast.

You are what I aspire to be.

shakeysix
07-11-2015, 12:56 AM
In all honesty, even though I am not lying in the grave, my body does molder a little and that white beard in my avatar? Hormone therapy gone wrong! --s6

Lavern08
07-11-2015, 01:07 AM
... You (and the neighborhood) are well rid of that particular neighbor.

Well the thing is, I don't think he meant any harm, really - I think he was trying to say "I'm not one of those people who look at your color/race and says, Well, there goes the neighborhood!"

After I got over the shock, I found his remark rather amusing.

I usually try to give people the benefit of the doubt - Unless my "liar, liar, pants on fire" radar goes off. :rolleyes

shakeysix
07-11-2015, 01:35 AM
You know, I had a sister -in-law back in the seventies, she has since passed on. She and her husband were so uptight about not sending the wrong message to the family of color that had just moved next door in their Hicksville, Long Island Ray Barone-type neighborhood that they debated the issue of what to send over as a welcome dish like it was an issue of great social importance, which, I guess, back then it was.

My husband and I were visiting at the time. We came from a much smaller town, worked in a school with a varied student population and faculty. Our local problem was the non-English Asian refugee kids and Mexican immigrants so my sister in law, a Martha Stewart type, was asking us all kinds of questions about how much food to take over and what kind--like the new neighbors were zoo animals or something. She was over thinking the whole thing.

Her husband suggested something Italian. I once watched a Mexican co-worker barf up a sweet-sweet cherry cheesecake concoction someone had foisted off on him at a covered dish. My Vietnamese friends had a horror of cheese. So I said that maybe Lasagna was too much, too heavy. This was the real Italian stuff.

I said that in Kansas a plate of cookies is a good new neighbor gift. (Not that I ever baked any-- I judge the new neighbors from out the window and gauge what kind of beer to bring over. It has backfired a time or two.) My sister -in-law had baked a pan of lasagna but then decided to bring cake mix cookies instead because she didn't want to "scare them off" by being too friendly and that is what she would bring to any other neighbor. It turned out she and the neighbor lady had a nice visit but then the doorbell rang. It was my brother-in-law--very Italian, okay--kind of Guido-ish, uni-brow, not a lot of available neck, the accent-- with oven mitts, an apron to protect his shirt and tie----just got home from work-- and this giant pan of smoking, sloppy, cheesy lasagna that he thought she forgot to bring. It was a moment and no way to explain it.

They did become neighbors but the new people must have had some reservations about Guido and his absent minded and goofy wife. Sometimes we try too hard to be friends but we mean well.--s6

Chrissy
07-11-2015, 01:37 AM
I am actually crazy, though not cerulean.

I aspire to buy an upscale townhouse with Lavern as my next-door neighbor.

That guy... awkward. The smile and greeting would have been sufficient. Although a casserole or a pie might not have been a bad idea. :greenie

kuwisdelu
07-11-2015, 01:40 AM
(Not that I ever baked any-- I judge the new neighbors from out the window and gauge what kind of beer to bring over. It has backfired a time or two.)

Any good local craft brews. I can find something to appreciate in just about any style.

Thanks!

Lavern08
07-11-2015, 01:48 AM
I hear ya, S6.

I agree that sometimes we (people of all races) over-analyze stuff.

Some people tend to always think the worse of others, but I tend to try to see the good in people and their intentions...

...Don't get me wrong now - I've been hurt, insulted and angered by racism my whole life, but I don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder either.

For me, it's easier to just chalk it up to ignorance and move on - Life is waaaaaay too short to get bogged down with hatred, anger, bitterness, and resentment. :Shrug:

Lavern08
07-11-2015, 01:52 AM
...I aspire to buy an upscale townhouse with Lavern as my next-door neighbor. :greenie

Yeah, like I don't know you just wanna live next door to me so you can come over every time you smell my Pecan Pies.

Ohhhh, I've got your number, Missy!!!! :poke:

Chrissy
07-11-2015, 01:59 AM
Yeah, like I don't know you just wanna live next door to me so you can come over every time you smell my Pecan Pies.What? Me? No! I was trying to get that guy to bring you a pecan pie!

Ohhhh, I've got your number, Missy!!!! :poke:Do you hear that scuffling noise outside your window? Surprise!!! I brought pecans. In case you need them for anything.

Lavern08
07-11-2015, 02:03 AM
^ Shameless Hussy!

CassandraW
07-11-2015, 02:08 AM
You are what I aspire to be.

*debates including this quote in signature*

If you misbehave, Haggis might reward you with this avatar. That's how I got it. Or he might turn you into a bug-eyed demonic gerbil.

Chrissy
07-11-2015, 02:10 AM
^ Shameless Hussy!I'll think of a good comeback when I get back from the bakery!

Lavern08
07-11-2015, 02:12 AM
If you misbehave, Haggis might reward you with this avatar. That's how I got it. Or he might turn you into a bug-eyed demonic gerbil.
Soooo, you're saying if we misbehave, Haggis will exchange our avatars for one of his baby pictures?

Artemissed
07-11-2015, 02:29 AM
Is it not possible that he actually was moving because of you - all that lunching and laughing and 24-7 tapping at a laptop imploring the muse to get her ass down here and give you inspiration? It's why I live surrounded by cows. Real ones. They moo and everything.

Lavern08
07-11-2015, 02:35 AM
Is it not possible that he actually was moving because of you...
*Wonders if the smell of pies baking got on their nerves* :tongue

Artemissed
07-11-2015, 02:41 AM
Well - that's another case wrapped up. *walks carefully back into the little English village she bases everything on*

*nips back to make sure everyone got the reference to Agatha Christie*

Lavern08
07-11-2015, 02:55 AM
*Sends the Newbie to the Time-Out Corner for messing with my mind* :poke:

Artemissed
07-11-2015, 02:58 AM
*stands in cornering muttering about ungrateful, pie-baking neighbours*

backslashbaby
07-11-2015, 03:15 AM
OMG, I know Lavern's pecan pies would be something I'd enjoy. Not everyone's, mind you! You have to have those Southern clues for me to trust your pecan (or sweet potato) pies ;)

I had a neighbor move in beside me who went to my preppy girl's college and was in a class with me. Ironically, she was practically the last person I would like to live beside, so seeing her move in was pretty disappointing.

Well, my other neighbors were a Black family. Yeah, the new neighbor/old classmate was like this guy in your OP. It's not just clueless; it's this odd insular thing that really is very insulting. But she was insulting about 98% of the population, as many of those upscale folks are, so I would have preferred that she didn't two-face me for appearances sake and just leave me alone, too.

I had Sunday dinner each week with the family and got all that great food, and here she was not understanding why there are so many folks on the porch every weekend (like 5 people or so -- come on!). :ROFL: I don't think she ever went over and introduced herself to them, either, although she was the type to do so with everyone else. Mmmm hmmmm. Most people aren't like that here, but it can readily be found on both ends of the spectrum that way, imho.

Lavern08
07-12-2015, 03:02 AM
*Wonders how BSB knows I make a killer Sweet Potato Pie too? Checks kitchen for the hidden cameras* :e2photo:

CassandraW
07-12-2015, 03:27 AM
That's a lot of big pie talk you're throwing around, Lavern. I think it's time you prove these claims.

Haggis
07-12-2015, 03:48 AM
I'm so misunderstood.

*sigh*

Hi, Lavern. :e2brows:

CassandraW
07-12-2015, 04:27 AM
I'm so misunderstood.

*sigh*

Pfft. You're just trying to get her to feel sorry for you so she'll give you pie.

Don't fall for it, Lavern. Give me the pie.

Kylabelle
07-12-2015, 04:29 AM
I'm so misunderstood.

*sigh*

Everything is not about you, Haggis.

Vernie, any pie left?

Haggis
07-12-2015, 06:13 AM
Everything is not about you, Haggis.

Vernie, any pie left?

See how you are?

Me and Lavern are tight.

And, of course, there's pie.

Fruitbat
07-12-2015, 07:32 AM
Oh my, what a hilariously ignorant comment your neighbor made.

I also thought you were the TV LaVern.

I want some pecan pie, too.

I myself am translucent and 3% neanderthal, if anyone was wondering.

J.S.F.
07-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Wow, first we had descriptions of PoC and then Caucasian people as food. All this talk of vittles is makin' me hongry! That's why we writers are so overweight...people just tossin' dem dere recipeas for food'n'such, and now Laverne givin' out pie?

Me, I'm so white I make paper look tan. NO one steal that line. I used it in my latest novel! :D

aruna
07-12-2015, 11:02 AM
I only ever had pecan pie once, when I was in the US in 1981.

I need some NOW!

Laverne08 you know I'm your best friend, right???

Ken
07-12-2015, 03:31 PM
He smiled, said "Good morning." Then he added, "Just want you to know our moving has nothing to do with you."

Prove it by having dinner with my husband and me tonight !
Or giving me your new address so him and me might visit !
Not to say he wasn't on the level. He well may have been. But this might have been a way of putting that to the test ;-)

Layla Nahar
07-12-2015, 03:44 PM
ooooh. Pecan pie. I forgot all about it. I have four pie crusts sitting in my freezer...

shakeysix
07-12-2015, 05:16 PM
My dad had a piece of pecan pie on his afternoon break, from sometime in the 1950s till 2007. Even when he was in his 80s, he would walk over to a local cafe for theirs because it was better than anywhere else. If we were on the road, we'd stop at about 3 p.m. for pie, the whole family. We call it "pieing up" --Dad's term. When he moved in with me, there was no cafe in our small town. He had to settle for frozen and complained bitterly about it. So every Saturday I drove him to a Mennonite restaurant in the next town. They did pecan pie right.

Those who have conquered its construction hold powers and abilities over the rest of us. ALL HAIL LAVERNE!!!!!!!!! --s6

Rhoda Nightingale
07-12-2015, 05:28 PM
*sniff, sniff*

Hi there!

I have nothing to add to this thread, but I heard there was pie?

J.S.F.
07-12-2015, 06:09 PM
If yu haz nuthin' to add in terms of tone or shade, Rhoda, then NO PIE FOR YOU! :D

shakeysix
07-12-2015, 06:16 PM
"No pie?" And she began to cry.."Meeow, Meeow, Meeow" --Oh, wait, that's the Three Little Kittens. Rhoda, where are your bleeping mittens? Show Vernie your mittens!

RedRajah
07-12-2015, 06:40 PM
The important thing from this: Pie brings All People together.

aruna
07-12-2015, 06:44 PM
I have a sudden irresistible craving for pecan pie. Where's Vernie when you need her? ****desperate**** ***starving***

Rhoda Nightingale
07-12-2015, 09:04 PM
Fair enough. Cookies? (https://www.pinterest.com/popperscakepops/stocking-and-mitten-decorated-cookies-and-cake-pop/)

Artemissed
07-12-2015, 09:28 PM
Lavern went and killed that neighbour, didn't she? This was all a way of implicating us in her crime. She's baked him into 76 pecan pies and we'll never tell.

(Psst - Aruna - love that Rumi quote.)

Lavern08
07-13-2015, 08:13 PM
OK Folks,

First of all, I have never laughed so hard as I have at you guys jockeying for position in the "Lavern's my best friend, so I'm gonna get the first slice of pecan pie" line.

Second, since Kylabelle lives in my area, I'm gonna take her a pie and let her be the judge as to whether it's the best thing she ever put in her mouth - OK, no comments from you PERVERTS!

Third, only Artemissed would think of killing the former neighbor and baking his remains into 76 (Sweeney Todd) Pecan Pies :roll:

Rhoda Nightingale
07-13-2015, 11:37 PM
I once baked a neighbor into a pumpkin pie. Just the one though. (Actually, this is the plot of one of the stories I haven't sold yet. Got a good reaction at a reading, though.)

Okay, I feel like I missed something.

@Artemissed: WHO ARE YOU and what have you done with Cassandra?

ap123
07-14-2015, 12:21 AM
<<that really is me. Now I feel overexposed. Or inadequate. Or something, 'cause none of my new neighbors brought me anything when I moved into this apartment. ;)

Can I have pie now, Lavern?

*contemplates switching to a new and interesting avvie*

Haggis
07-14-2015, 04:53 AM
I feel obligated to point out for the record that I'm also very fond of sweet potato pie.

calieber
07-14-2015, 05:27 AM
<<that really is me. Now I feel overexposed. Or inadequate. Or something, 'cause none of my new neighbors brought me anything when I moved into this apartment. ;)

That's what keeps me in New York -- freedom from neighbor-baked pie.

(Seriously, my partner grew up in suburbia and hates that shit, and her sister, who moved back recently, posts occasional rants about it on Facebook)

shakeysix
07-14-2015, 08:21 AM
Key Lime Pie for shakey, next strawberry in season, then coconut cream, then orchard peach, then pecan, then apple, then something called almond cream that is hard to find. I have my list of druthers all lined out so when the waitress pulls out her pad and chants the available pies like an auctioneer, I am never stymied. Have a feeling that Laverne turns out a pretty dicey Key Lime pie from scratch, one of the ones that comes in a real crust, not a packaged graham cracker crust, and I'll bet she uses real Key limes--about the size of a shooter marble. You squeeze all afternoon for a tablespoon of juice. I get bored and squirt the lime juice into a glass of gin and tonic water and go ask my friend Mrs. Smith to make my pie.

Most of my pies come from Mrs. Smith (I, too am Mrs. Smith, but not THAT Mrs. Smith.) or restaurants but a friend makes a fresh apricot custard that would be my favorite if I could get more than one a year, and then only when my tree bears apricots. My friend makes two. I get one because they are my apricots. She takes the other one. This year we had a frost in May and now, no apricots. My pecan tree bit the dust with that frost, too. It was only about knee high--not even close to bearing but I try. Pecans are hard to grow here. My sister in Houston has several pecan trees in her yard so she does a lot of pecan recipes. She does this pecan thing with bacon and brown sugar that is delicious if it doesn't flame out on the broiler! Ever hear of that one? --s6

ap123
07-14-2015, 03:11 PM
That's what keeps me in New York -- freedom from neighbor-baked pie.

(Seriously, my partner grew up in suburbia and hates that shit, and her sister, who moved back recently, posts occasional rants about it on Facebook)

Don't be too secure in your freedom from friendly neighbors. ;) In my last apartment (same building, different floor), first weekend there, my bell rang at 8am on Sunday, neighbor standing there waving an empty mug, "I smelled coffee."

I'd also like to say that I, too, am fond of sweet potato pie.

RedRajah
07-14-2015, 06:32 PM
My pies of choice for holiday baking are lemon chess pie & pumpkin-ginger chiffon pie. :D

Chris P
07-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Cherry rhubarb.

Lock. Thread.

Gilroy Cullen
07-14-2015, 07:00 PM
I myself am translucent and 3% neanderthal, if anyone was wondering.

My knuckles hang so low I've been told they're developing their own feet for protection.

Besides, Vernie and I share a birthday. I got a step above all yous. :greenie

Oh, I gotta add pie preference:
Mince Meat
Sweet tater
Pumpkin
Chocolate

(Used to like peanut butter pie, but it kill me now.)

RichardGarfinkle
07-14-2015, 07:16 PM
We just had a birthday party in which along with chocolate cake I made cherry pie (from home grown cherries) and a chocolate / strawberry mousse pie.

What's this thread about again?

Lavern08
07-14-2015, 09:29 PM
*Wonders if I should re-name this thread: I Don't See Any Pie* :greenie

RedRajah
07-14-2015, 09:55 PM
That's just it: we SEE the pie. ;)

aruna
07-14-2015, 10:34 PM
Never deny pie.

Haggis
07-15-2015, 04:36 AM
Wait. What do you mean you don't see any pie? :e2cry:

Snitchcat
07-15-2015, 08:17 AM
The pie is there. Must have pie!

/derail

I don't think it occurs to many that what they say or do could come across as racist or what-have-you. It's automatic and many believe they're "just being nice". Amusing, but frustrating.

ErezMA
07-15-2015, 09:25 AM
I don't want to ruin the pie spirit of the thread, but looking at the initial thread, the guy seemed to make a dumb mistake. My guess is that he was so afraid of sounding race-minded, that he came across as race-minded.

backslashbaby
07-15-2015, 11:33 AM
I don't want to ruin the pie spirit of the thread, but looking at the initial thread, the guy seemed to make a dumb mistake. My guess is that he was so afraid of sounding race-minded, that he came across as race-minded.

My old father said he was trying to be nice, probably. I told him it's 2015 and the thought shouldn't cross most people's minds, so it sticks out in an obvious way. He took that extremely well, like 'huh, yeah I can see that!'.

He did have a Black neighbor where he lives (townhouses, too) complain about how she was treated and she made a point of telling him she liked him and was moving because of the assholes (not just racist, there are weird politics there). She let him know he wasn't one of the assholes and she'd miss him. They talked about how it's unthinkable for folks to be racist to neighbors (she did mention that with some of them)! So he was thinking of that when he heard about Lavern's neighbor, I think. In any case, now he's thought about it and gets it, and that's a win.

This is a man who ate squirrel growing up here in the South (because it tastes good in a certain gravy and is fun/helpful to shoot on a farm), so you could say he's had to cope with a lot of change over his 77 years :ROFL:

We won't be offering squirrel to anyone, but I have used the same gravy on pork and I'd serve it to my neighbors in a heartbeat. That's if they preferred a meal to a pie ;)

Lavern08
07-16-2015, 12:08 AM
... I'm offering squirrel - I'd serve it to my neighbors in a heartbeat.

*Wonders if BSBaby is hitting the sauce again* :greenie

backslashbaby
07-16-2015, 01:28 AM
*Wonders if BSBaby is hitting the sauce again* :greenie

:ROFL: If the wrong sort ever moves in near me here, that's what I'll offer to them!

Cyia
07-16-2015, 04:14 AM
Wait. What do you mean you don't see any pie? :e2cry:

You can have mine. I hate pie.

MacAllister
07-16-2015, 04:17 AM
You can have mine. I hate pie.

You just come over here and sit by ME, then.

I'll take care of your share of the pecan pie.

JetFueledCar
08-21-2015, 08:14 AM
I clicked this expecting a serious discussion and instead... pie. Not that I'm complaining, although I prefer cheesecake myself. Cherry pie, though. That's good stuff. My mom's the pecan eater.

Lavern08
08-21-2015, 08:48 PM
I clicked this expecting a serious discussion and instead... pie.

LOL - :welcome: to Absolute Write. :ROFL:

JetFueledCar
08-22-2015, 08:07 AM
LOL - :welcome: to Absolute Write. :ROFL:

Does that welcome come with some of this famous pie?

shakeysix
08-22-2015, 05:29 PM
Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings liked squirrel stew. She did imply that it was backwards to leave the heads on when serving it, although she left it up to the reader to decide. This could be our next deep discussion. --s6

JimmyB27
09-04-2015, 05:48 PM
"I don't see colour"
"You poor thing, that must make playing snooker incredibly difficult"