"I Don't See Color"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's what my neighbors were trying to say to me when - 2 1/2 years ago - Hubby and I bought a townhouse in a rather upscale community.

After only 2 months, the FOR SALE sign was planted in our next-door-neighbors yard.

It just so happened that I was walking out of our garage as they were loading up the moving van on a Saturday morning, and I looked up and spoke to the "man of the house."

He smiled, said "Good morning." Then he added, "Just want you to know our moving has nothing to do with you."

I was stunned - Not angry, not upset - Just stunned.

Usually not one who is ever at a loss for words, I just smiled and got into my car and headed to the grocery store.

Now his remark floored me and caught me totally by surprise for the following reasons:
1. It never occurred to me that he was guilty of "White Flight" - We just assumed he got a job transfer or whatever. :Shrug:
2. I suppose that was his way of saying "I don't see color."
3. Why did he feel he needed to explain his reason for moving in the first place?
4. Would he had said the same thing to a non-POC?
5. I was a little ticked, because the snarky me should have said "Why would you move because of me?"

I told my hubby about it when I returned home - We had a good chuckle and a delicious lunch. :)

Yanno, when people say: "I don't notice people's race," I'm sure they mean well, but I always wanna ask them if they say the same thing to white or Caucasian people. :Huh:

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
I love messing with people like that, its just so fun to make them squirm.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
You're not a brewery worker from Milwaukee?????? --s6

To be perfectly honest, this was my first reaction, too.

It never occurred to me that you didn't look like exactly like Laverne de Fazio.

(Ignore for a moment that someone my age is actually familiar with that show.)

Incidentally, I'm not a 14-year-old red-haired German-Japanese girl with an eyepatch.

Last edited:

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
I have to add, I wouldn't have let him off the hook that easily. He would have been easy prey.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I am, in fact, a little girl holding an enormous fanged beast. Don't get too close and you'll be fine.

Lavern, I really wish you'd smiled sweetly and said "Why would you move because of me?" You (and the neighborhood) are well rid of that particular neighbor.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
In all honesty, even though I am not lying in the grave, my body does molder a little and that white beard in my avatar? Hormone therapy gone wrong! --s6

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... You (and the neighborhood) are well rid of that particular neighbor.

Well the thing is, I don't think he meant any harm, really - I think he was trying to say "I'm not one of those people who look at your color/race and says, Well, there goes the neighborhood!"

After I got over the shock, I found his remark rather amusing.

I usually try to give people the benefit of the doubt - Unless my "liar, liar, pants on fire" radar goes off. :rolleyes

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
You know, I had a sister -in-law back in the seventies, she has since passed on. She and her husband were so uptight about not sending the wrong message to the family of color that had just moved next door in their Hicksville, Long Island Ray Barone-type neighborhood that they debated the issue of what to send over as a welcome dish like it was an issue of great social importance, which, I guess, back then it was.

My husband and I were visiting at the time. We came from a much smaller town, worked in a school with a varied student population and faculty. Our local problem was the non-English Asian refugee kids and Mexican immigrants so my sister in law, a Martha Stewart type, was asking us all kinds of questions about how much food to take over and what kind--like the new neighbors were zoo animals or something. She was over thinking the whole thing.

Her husband suggested something Italian. I once watched a Mexican co-worker barf up a sweet-sweet cherry cheesecake concoction someone had foisted off on him at a covered dish. My Vietnamese friends had a horror of cheese. So I said that maybe Lasagna was too much, too heavy. This was the real Italian stuff.

I said that in Kansas a plate of cookies is a good new neighbor gift. (Not that I ever baked any-- I judge the new neighbors from out the window and gauge what kind of beer to bring over. It has backfired a time or two.) My sister -in-law had baked a pan of lasagna but then decided to bring cake mix cookies instead because she didn't want to "scare them off" by being too friendly and that is what she would bring to any other neighbor. It turned out she and the neighbor lady had a nice visit but then the doorbell rang. It was my brother-in-law--very Italian, okay--kind of Guido-ish, uni-brow, not a lot of available neck, the accent-- with oven mitts, an apron to protect his shirt and tie----just got home from work-- and this giant pan of smoking, sloppy, cheesy lasagna that he thought she forgot to bring. It was a moment and no way to explain it.

They did become neighbors but the new people must have had some reservations about Guido and his absent minded and goofy wife. Sometimes we try too hard to be friends but we mean well.--s6

Last edited:

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am actually crazy, though not cerulean.

I aspire to buy an upscale townhouse with Lavern as my next-door neighbor.

That guy... awkward. The smile and greeting would have been sufficient. Although a casserole or a pie might not have been a bad idea. :greenie

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
(Not that I ever baked any-- I judge the new neighbors from out the window and gauge what kind of beer to bring over. It has backfired a time or two.)

Any good local craft brews. I can find something to appreciate in just about any style.

Thanks!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hear ya, S6.

I agree that sometimes we (people of all races) over-analyze stuff.

Some people tend to always think the worse of others, but I tend to try to see the good in people and their intentions...

...Don't get me wrong now - I've been hurt, insulted and angered by racism my whole life, but I don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder either.

For me, it's easier to just chalk it up to ignorance and move on - Life is waaaaaay too short to get bogged down with hatred, anger, bitterness, and resentment. :Shrug:

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...I aspire to buy an upscale townhouse with Lavern as my next-door neighbor. :greenie

Yeah, like I don't know you just wanna live next door to me so you can come over every time you smell my Pecan Pies.

Ohhhh, I've got your number, Missy!!!! :poke:

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, like I don't know you just wanna live next door to me so you can come over every time you smell my Pecan Pies.
What? Me? No! I was trying to get that guy to bring you a pecan pie!

Ohhhh, I've got your number, Missy!!!! :poke:
Do you hear that scuffling noise outside your window? Surprise!!! I brought pecans. In case you need them for anything.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
You are what I aspire to be.

*debates including this quote in signature*

If you misbehave, Haggis might reward you with this avatar. That's how I got it. Or he might turn you into a bug-eyed demonic gerbil.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you misbehave, Haggis might reward you with this avatar. That's how I got it. Or he might turn you into a bug-eyed demonic gerbil.
Soooo, you're saying if we misbehave, Haggis will exchange our avatars for one of his baby pictures?

Artemissed

Registered
Reaction score
Is it not possible that he actually was moving because of you - all that lunching and laughing and 24-7 tapping at a laptop imploring the muse to get her ass down here and give you inspiration? It's why I live surrounded by cows. Real ones. They moo and everything.

Artemissed

Registered
Reaction score
Well - that's another case wrapped up. *walks carefully back into the little English village she bases everything on*

*nips back to make sure everyone got the reference to Agatha Christie*

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Sends the Newbie to the Time-Out Corner for messing with my mind* :poke:

Artemissed

Registered
Reaction score
*stands in cornering muttering about ungrateful, pie-baking neighbours*

Status