PDA

View Full Version : Querying New Project - Mention Previously Self-Pubbed Novel?

madjack
07-09-2015, 12:12 AM
I'm about ready to start querying a totally new project and I'm wondering if I should mention in the query that I have a previously self-pubbed book out? And if so, any thoughts on how to word this? I don't want to include it if they wouldn't care about it, but I also don't want to leave it out if they do care about that information.

This is a totally new project and not related at all to the previously pubbed book.

Thank you for any thoughts on this.

Toothpaste
07-09-2015, 12:20 AM
If your previously self-published book sold over 10K copies (I think that's the number I've seen agents cite) within a relatively short period, say no more than 6 months, then yes. If not, no. :)

madjack
07-09-2015, 12:57 AM
Thanks, Toothpaste. So you don't think an agent would be upset if they did like your new project and googled you and saw that you had previously published something and kept it from them?

I'm hoping an agent will chime in to. :)

Toothpaste
07-09-2015, 01:13 AM
No, it's not keeping it a secret. As long as it isn't the same book, which you've said it isn't. It's more that they just won't care. They care about your current work, if they can sell it. Not if you once self published something. Now if you sold tons of your self published work that might be an incentive for an agent to sign you since you already have a following etc. But otherwise, nope.

madjack
07-12-2015, 01:03 AM
Sounds good - thank you!

quicklime
07-13-2015, 06:43 PM
madjack, I see you are hoping an agent will also chime in....they are here, several very good ones, but their availability is spotty. That said, a search in the ask the agent sub-forum under "self-published" WILL find multiple variations on what Toothpaste said, by multiple agents, some plainly identified in their screen name and some not.

Dennis E. Taylor
07-13-2015, 08:25 PM
If an agent shows interest, they will ask you for more information about yourself, i.e. bio, writing history.

madjack
07-13-2015, 11:10 PM
madjack, I see you are hoping an agent will also chime in....they are here, several very good ones, but their availability is spotty. That said, a search in the ask the agent sub-forum under "self-published" WILL find multiple variations on what Toothpaste said, by multiple agents, some plainly identified in their screen name and some not.

Thank you for the info, I will go search around and take a look.

Thank you too, Angry Guy.