• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for speculative short story critique partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

S. L. Saboviec

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saboviec.com
Hi all -

I'm looking for a critique partner / writing buddy who's actively subbing short stories, speculative fiction preferred.

About me:

• I self-published my first novel in May 2014. I'm currently working on the sequel, with a release date of February 2016.
  • For novels, I work with professional editors and cover artists. Because that isn't feasible with short stories, I'm looking for a critique partner, to have at least one pair of eyes on each story before I send them out.
  • I'm subbing my short stories to SFWA-eligible markets first, then pro-paying, and so on, although sometimes I do anthology calls that entice me. (I'm trying to stop but it's addictive.)
  • My pieces are generally 1k-8k.
  • I'm trying to write about one short story a month, although I'd like to ramp it up. You might get a bunch at once and then nothing for a few weeks, since my priority is getting my sequel out in February.
  • I like darker stories, although I can't handle gory horror. My favorite characters are flawed, with dubious motives. However, I write all kinds of stories--from light to dark and everything in between.
  • Grammar is a strong point of mine. You'll need to tell me how detailed (read: anal) you want me to be when critiquing grammar.
  • I've critiqued a couple dozen novels, and I already have a handful of active novel critique partners. If we're a good fit, I'll ask if you want to swap novel critiques. You can say no, and I'll be fine with that. Right now, I really, really, really need a short story buddy so I can give my other CP's a break.
  • I'm direct but diplomatic, or at least, I try to be.
  • You can check me out on my website, which also has links to my social media: http://www.saboviec.com

About you:
  • You've been writing and swapping critiques for a while. If you think, "Well, I've written and critiqued some stuff and I think I'm pretty good at it," that's sufficient for my definition of "a while."
  • You're good at critiquing plot, pacing, characterization, tension--all the big picture stuff.
  • You don't have to do line edits unless something jumps out at you. I'll be sending my stuff over to you before I copy edit it since I'm looking for story content feedback.
  • The grammar in your work is passable. It doesn't have to be great, it just needs to not make me want to scream. (See: comment about being anal.)
  • You can do pretty quick turnarounds on short stories (1-3 days; up to a week if you're super busy). I will, of course, commit to the same. If we do move on to novels, I'm looking for 20-25k per week turnaround, but again, that's not something we have to do.
  • You don't mind swearing, sex, alcohol, drugs, murder, etc. I can't make any promises that my stories will have them, but I'd like to leave the door open. ;)
  • You're also direct but diplomatic, or at least, you try to be.
  • You like to commiserate about the copious amounts of R's we get, but you're also fairly positive. If either of us spirals into the "ohgodWHY" black hole, we can pull each other out.
  • Extra points if you're active on Twitter.
If you think we might be a good fit, please send me a PM. We can swap a story and see how it goes. Thanks for reading!

S. L. Saboviec

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saboviec.com
I've got someone, but I'm open to more! The whole short story sub business can be hair-raising (or hair-pulling or both). Feel free to reach out to me in the future, even if you stumble upon this a long while from now.

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Heya, are you still looking for a CP? I don't really have a short story to swap at the moment, but I'm happy to swap a chapter or two of my MS, which needs a fresh pair of eyes, as I crit your stories. Can definitely relate to commiserating over Rs. :p

magster

Registered
Reaction score
Short story speculative CP

Are you still looking for a CP? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.