PDA

View Full Version : Medical Question on Ear Removal

Cramp
07-07-2015, 07:24 PM
Hello,

I want one of my characters to get injured and was wondering about how life threatening having someone tear an ear off someone's head might be. Googling brings up a lot of news articles or simply tears in ears (or wax removal...), so I'm probably going around this the wrong way. I really just want to know if it the injury will kill an adult man? And if so, in how much time.

There won't be any medical professionals any closer than a call for an ambulance, but he will have friends who can at least put pressure on the hole. I don't want the character to die, but ending up incapacitated or otherwise in excruciating pain is okay.

Thanks

WeaselFire
07-07-2015, 09:17 PM
No real damage that affects much other than looks and potential issues with determining direction of sound. Evander Holyfield is still alive and ear removal didn't kill Van Gogh.

If you need an issue, give him an infection. Could damage ear drum, which can be very painful, and the ear infection alone is painful. Total loss of hearing in the one ear would be pretty far-fetched, but even that isn't really very debilitating.

Jeff

Cramp
07-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Thanks, that is really helpful and just what I wanted to hear (no pun intended).

krinaphobia
07-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Something to research would be how much ear injuries bleed. I highly doubt it would be enough to kill a grown man, especially given WeaselFire's examples. But head injuries in general bleed a lot, so it's something to look into.

Taejang
07-08-2015, 10:28 PM
Something to research would be how much ear injuries bleed. I highly doubt it would be enough to kill a grown man, especially given WeaselFire's examples. But head injuries in general bleed a lot, so it's something to look into.

I second this. How it is torn off may impact how much it bleeds, too. If you need the guy incapacitated, I'd look into shock (seeing your own ear lying on the ground in a pool of blood could put somebody into shock, I imagine).

WeaselFire
07-09-2015, 02:12 AM
Head, scalp and ear injuries don't bleed a lot of blood. They bleed profusely due to the closeness of the capillaries to the skin surface (Have to be, skull is in the way). But there's no significant volume since there are no major veins or arteries. The ear barely bleeds, it has a very minor amount of blood flow.

Jeff