for fantasy and other authors with their own cultures

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
what kind 'swears' would they use?
my ace, the Kionens, have a connection to hunters.they used to only have animal forms and their pelts were very high quality, so on clear days, they had to hide from hunters who came to their lands. they also worship the sun as an avatar of their god.

the worst one they have is 'By the great skies above' which basically means they're taking their lord's domain in vain.
there's also 'blue skies'
'skies above'
stuff like that.

what are yours?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
There have been many discussions of this in the past, but they're mostly in the Science Fiction/Fantasy subforum. I'm not sure this is appropriate for the Office Party, since you want to restrict the discussion by genre.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
The main one is "What on Litae" (Like What on Earth) followed by "Tidal" and "Kelp". Other cultures bring in "Volcanic"; "Fired" and "Ash". "Fairy" is a big one as my Less-Bigs view that as highly littlest and something firmly rooted in the past. There are a whole collection but I also use a few Earth ones.

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My science fantasy setting has a desert that the characters believe stretches on forever. They use most of our modern swears plus a few relating to the desert that refer to sand, dryness, heat and light. '(May the)Sands take you' is my favorite. Many of their blessings are water and shade based.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
There have been many discussions of this in the past, but they're mostly in the Science Fiction/Fantasy subforum. I'm not sure this is appropriate for the Office Party, since you want to restrict the discussion by genre.
Thanks, JJ. OFG and I thought about that, but the nature of AW is, of course, that each thread has its own life regardless of the intent of the OP. Fantasy is not the only genre that can have its own worlds. Certainly Science Fiction and at least to some extent, Horror, can as well, and they're just as entitled to cursing as Fantasy characters. And by the lining of Red Skelton's stomach, I claim even humor can cuss with the best of them.

And actually I thought this might be a good place for people to make up curses they could then take home and plug into their own works. Or, you know, just to make up curses for the fun of it, by Trump. :)

But, whatever.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
xD thanks, haggis. I didn't want anyone getting upset over this being here, and your post helps.

jj was merely trying to help find a better spot for your thread, and she well may be right. If it lingers here without much action, we'll check with the fantasy mods. Otherwise pound fribitz, and bow before your Labyrinth Keeper.

eta: And with that in mind, I'm going to edit the thread title a bit to reflect that it's not just for fantasy authors. I trust you'll be okay with that. Let me know if you're not. :)

Last edited:

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
okie dokie artichokie ^^

another one I like to use is actually one from another series, but i don't use it in my story, just in real life. it's 'bloody carrion' which is a swear from the Codex Alera series