What are your non writing, writing habits?

msd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
huntforkomodocracker.wixsite.com
What I mean by this is, when I write I need the room to be cool, almost cold, no noise and a cup of coffee which I sometimes don't even drink. Under these conditions, I can write.

How about you?

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I'm working in the family room or rec room, I put on channel 434, which is Nature Sounds on our Shaw service. Elsewhere, I have 120 Nature Sounds on my itouch. I can't write with music in the background, whether I like the music or not.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I can write anyway, anyhow. However, I need to know I won't be disrupted for a while. If I think I'll be disrupted once I'm into it, I can't focus on my writing.

Marianne Kirby

Blue Hair, Don't Care
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.xojane.com
I can usually get some words out no matter where I am or what the conditions. But ideally, I'm not at the house -- I'm at a local coffee shop of some variety and I have a beverage and people around that I don't have to talk to because they are writing, too. I have headphones with music that suits what I am writing.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
However, I need to know I won't be disrupted for a while. If I think I'll be disrupted once I'm into it, I can't focus on my writing.

+1

It's the potential disruption to my train of thought that results on most of my writing procrastination. "Can I write yet? No - family's still awake.... I think they're gone, but I'm not sure... Dang it, my door is closed - what part of a closed door invites conversation?!"

Rotes

Crazy Opossum Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Usually this must be done between the hours of 00:00-05:00

I must be at my place of residence- without company.

My person must be out of town. On the rare occasions when he comes into town, I get nothing done. This is not, mind you, because we are tied at the hip. We both like our space. It's just that the emotional white noise that comes with regular exposure to another person is too much for me.

Sometimes I really want music. Sometimes I don't.

krinaphobia

Registered
Reaction score
I used to always tie my hair up to write. But then I cut all my hair off a couple of years ago! I'm finally growing it out now, and can achieve floofy pigtails that would make a 5-year-old jealous. Very professional.

JBVam

Registered
Reaction score
First I need it to be quiet. I need to be at my desk with my laptop, with a hot cup of tea, smooth jazz playing and my fragrance warmer on. The whole scene relaxes me. I tend to write my scenes from my books off the top of my head; so my peace and quiet is very important.

Great post!

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Writing is the only time I really can't listen to music. Otherwise, I'm pretty flexible. I just need to be somewhere comfortable without anyone reading over my shoulder.