I need help with a slang/derogatory word for a Surveyor

Corsairs

Saying it twice for truth
Registered
Reaction score
Post pisser?
I like the direction you're going with that. I was thinking perhaps "claim pisser" since the ground is being marked out for treasure hunters. "[Something] Pisser" definitely seems like a good way to go with it. :)

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I have heard poor mappers called some pretty unpleasant things, but I can't think of any nasty terms, per se; they were more along the lines of dreaming up where lines should be. ot "They called every road on that side of town North Goshen Rd." That was what a title searcher said of surveyors/mappers in one town, and the title searcher was right, and titles couldn't be searched before WW II.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Grade lackey
Hill climber
Kneecap
Lazy eye
Lodebird
Slopemonger

Last edited:

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pass-monkey, short for "compass monkey"

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Lode - I am guessing is from lodestone, the old name for a compass - or rather an old compass. Or could be about a lode of ore.

NeverSayDie

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm.
- "Squinter", "hired-eye", "crow chaser".
- "Sheet folder", "paper prophet", "tube stuffer" (re rolled maps in a carrying tube).
- "Calf-killer", "calf-skinner" (in a situation where maps are produced on vellum).
- "Compass-chaser", "lode lover" (ref. lodestones).
- "Sticks", "stringer", "stick farmer" (assuming areas are being pegged out with sticks and string).

That's mostly taking a low-tech fantasy angle, a sci-fi setting could involve more references to the specific technology employed in the setting.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Hmm.
- "Squinter", "hired-eye", "crow chaser".
- "Sheet folder", "paper prophet", "tube stuffer" (re rolled maps in a carrying tube).
- "Calf-killer", "calf-skinner" (in a situation where maps are produced on vellum).
- "Compass-chaser", "lode lover" (ref. lodestones).
- "Sticks", "stringer", "stick farmer" (assuming areas are being pegged out with sticks and string).

That's mostly taking a low-tech fantasy angle, a sci-fi setting could involve more references to the specific technology employed in the setting.
I like those ;) Though I'd still be psyched to find "post pisser" in a book!

NeverSayDie

Registered
Reaction score
I like those ;) Though I'd still be psyched to find "post pisser" in a book!
Definitely has a ring to it :)

Tossing them in the blender...
"Heard the lord's squinters are in the hills again. They trample all over the highlands, shitting posts and pissing string. Until the wights get 'em, and then they don't piss no more."

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
Nuts, I was thinking 'squint,' but someone's already hit 'squinter.' My other thought was to call them Ballers, a derivative of 'eye-ballers.' It's short and has a good mouth-feel to it, to me at least.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Lodebird and Kneecap. Can you explain these?

Lode is another word for magnet, lodestone another word for compass. Or as Bolero explained.

Kneecap refers to man who can't stand straight (someone who is kneecapped), and as a result is a lousy surveyor.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
The absolute worst slur I can think of, and I'm horrifying myself, and it'll get deleted and I'm SO SO SORRY is "Tri**er"

You can kind of work it out, and you'll never use it. it's horrifying. I wiki-ed "trig points" for you. They're fixed survey stations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangulation_station

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The absolute worst slur I can think of, and I'm horrifying myself, and it'll get deleted and I'm SO SO SORRY is "Tri**er"

You can kind of work it out, and you'll never use it. it's horrifying.

I admit to being at a complete loss, unless "trigger" is a slur of which I'm unaware.

Last edited:

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's quite all right. Probably a good call.

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
I love the suggestion "stick farmer." It really brings to mind vast layouts of sticks and string, which I could see being really annoying to local people.

Maybe the surveyors leave all this stuff behind, and local people trip over them / have to clean it up. This could be seriously time-consuming.

Maybe the "stick farms" are set up in people's crops, with no regard for the damage it does.

And if this is a world where respectable people have careers as warriors, then these nerds who spend their time with sticks and string wouldn't be thought well of.

Lots of possibilities here. :)

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
This morning as I wandered past, "boot counter" came to mind, so I'll just drop it here.

The extended meaning being that surveyors are too dumb to know where they are if they don't count their footsteps, hence planting all the sticks to help them keep count.

Tho I love "stick farmer" :greenie