"Masters of Horror." Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is regarding the showtime television series that had 13 famed horror directors (well, some guys who've garnered fame, and others who made one or two reasonably popular horror flicks among lesser known material) each film a one hour episode.

I didn't have Showtime when the series originally ran, and by the time I did get Showtime, the season had concluded (but a season 2 has already been given the green light). I was definitely interested, however, so I recently rented the DVD that had John Carpenter's contribution, along with Stuart Gordon's.

"Underwhelming" hardly scratches the surface...

I would think, that with a title such as "masters of horror," and with one's own reputation as such at stake, these directors would have gone out of there way to create some new classics of the genre. These should have been masterpieces. Films you could show people who think horror is schlock to let them see how great the genre can be. But these stories did not merely fail to live up to the hype, they were flat out bad. Not frightening, not interesting, not appearing to have been written or directed (or acted, for that matter) with any amount of care or intelligence. Basically it appears that these guys just phoned it in. Highly disappointing.

That said, I did only watch 2 eps, & the other 11 might be amazing. Thing is, I don't think Carpenter has made a good flick in 20 years, and Gordon's not one of my favorites either. The other directors include Argento (who I heard returned to form with his contribution. remains to be seen...), Tobe Hooper, and Takashi Miike. Strong names, but are those really the cats that immediately jump to mind when someone says "Masters of Horror" (regarding films anyway)? Does anyone jump to mind? Thoughts?

Last edited:

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
J, I have to agree, the episodes were hardly impressive. Entertaining (some, at least) but I wasn't exactly awed. The program wasn't a highlight reel of the Masters, but a quick and dirty serial to capture a target audeince. I suppose to that effect it worked. I've watched all the installments thus far.

Perhaps in a couple of years, there'll be a new and improved Showtime Masters of Horror, featuring work by AW distinguished alumni. ;)

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Another disappointing episode premiered last night.

What wasted opportunity here. These filmmakers, supposedly the ream of the crop in the genre, have been given a chance to tell whatever story they want to tell in sixty minutes and these are the films they are producing?

Even less satisfying than last season.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Jcomp- You didn't like In the Mouth of Madness? or has it been twenty years since that came out? Nahhh, couldn't be.

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
The first season was really awful, all told. I liked Dreams in the Witchhouse because whoever directed it really seemed to be a big Lovecraft fan. I also liked Cigarette Burns, though I thought it could have been better, it wasn't bad. The very first ep of the first season The Incident On and Off Mountain Road was all pretty decent. Again, not great, but not bad.

But so many of the episodes were just terrible. I haven't watched any of S2 because I figured probably the quality has not improved. So much of S1 wasn't scary, and wasn't even mildly interesting.

John61480

The Elements of Style
Registered
Reaction score
I loved In The Mouth Of Madness. That is one of my favorite John Carpenter movies.

I watched about two or three episodes. The best one out of those I watched was scripted by Richard Matheson and directed by Tobe Hooper about a nuclear war aftermath. The acting was pretty good for a tv series. Again, I had only seen a couple of these episodes. The budget certainly wasn't big, and it was very obvious. But they do have tons of talent showing up for this series. If they only gave them some mucho money and buckets of blood, I bet this could go a long way.

But I still think Tales From The Crypt was by far, the best horror show.

J.S Greer

Feel the power!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
The Episodes are hit or miss.

So far in season 2, I liked "Family" a lot. Its just like tales from the crypt; cheesy, but fun.

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
I pretty much agree, some of them were okay, and others were awful. I saw one the other night from Season 2. It was entitled "Pelts" and was directed by Dario Argento. It was not scary at all but I did love the ick factor. Really gross. That part was cool.

HorrorWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Delarege said:
New genre'?

"You are a writer, how cool. What do you write?"

"Ick."

:Shrug:

Ick factor, meaning in reference to icky. Icky-According to Webster's Dictionary is an alteration of sticky-1.) Disagreeably sticky:gummy. As far as a reference to blood. Did that make it clearer for you, Delarege? My name on this board is just that...mine, for a reason I chose. Most people who know me, know that I chose this name because this society is so obsessed with labels, I just thought I'd make it easier for everyone. Is that clearer for you, as well? I don't make fun of anyone on this board, and I expect the same in return.

Last edited:

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
HorrorWriter said:
Ick factor, meaning in reference to icky. Icky-According to Webster's Dictionary is an alteration of sticky-1.) Disagreeably sticky:gummy. As far as a reference to blood. Did that make it clearer for you, Delarege? My name on this board is just that...mine, for a reason I chose. Most people who know me, know that I chose this name because this society is so obsessed with labels, I just thought I'd make it easier for everyone. Is that clearer for you, as well? I don't make fun of anyone on this board, and I expect the same in return.

It wasn't meant to be personal, HW. Ick is a wonderful word. No offence intended.

HorrorWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Delarege said:
It wasn't meant to be personal, HW. Ick is a wonderful word. No offence intended.

Thanks, Delarege. That's good to know. I'm sensitive about the name thing because when I first came to this board, someone else was very rude about my name choice. No problem. All is forgiven.:Hug2:

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Jcomp, I really think Miike's "Imprint" accomplished a lot. There's a reason Showtime refused to run it. I recommend it, but it's not for everybody. It's one of the most disturbing horror films I saw this year (since watching Nacho Cerda's "Aftermath" over the summer, at any rate).

Del

Registered
Reaction score
HorrorWriter said:
I'm sensitive about the name thing because when I first came to this board, someone else was very rude about my name choice.

I like your name. Always have. Opinions are like...well you know, and there are a lot of them everywhere you go...and I'm not talking about opinions.

Be true to thine own self because if you try to please anyone else you still won't be appreciated. It took me 50 years to learn that.

Be unique...and that comes from a gopher with a ribbon stapled to his tongue.

HorrorWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Delarege said:
I like your name. Always have. Opinions are like...well you know, and there are a lot of them everywhere you go...and I'm not talking about opinions.

Be true to thine own self because if you try to please anyone else you still won't be appreciated. It took me 50 years to learn that.

Be unique...and that comes from a gopher with a ribbon stapled to his tongue.

Very true. It took me 25 years to learn that. I'm a little older than that now...ahem. ;) Anyway, I stopped caring about pleasing folks. Doesn't matter. But, there are exceptions. Right now, I'm trying to please the agents that are reading my work. Especially the one that I talked to for 30 minutes on the phone. So, we'll see!

Del

Registered
Reaction score
HorrorWriter said:
. Especially the one that I talked to for 30 minutes on the phone. So, we'll see!

It sounds like a foot in the door. Great!!

I'm working on trying to impress an agent too. I've spent days working on the query letter. I think it's good. I hope he does. Next I have to go buy a new ink cartridge. The FULL one I have now leaves lines through the text. There always seems to be something.

:e2violin:

HorrorWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I was referred to the agent by one of her well known clients. He liked my first chapter and the premise of the book. She line-edited the first 3 chapters for me, and told me that I needed to add more. My urban fantasy runs a little short. Should be at least 80,000 but's it's not quite there yet, so I'm taking her advice. She suggested a title change. Sounds like she wants to represent from talking to her. I have a few other agents interested as well.

When something happens, I'll post it here. Hopefully by then I'll have a website, blog, or something. I have no web presence. Good luck with your work as well. My query letter has garnered much interest since I sent it out a few weeks ago. I promised a few people here that I would post it after I sign a contract with and agent, which will hopefully be soon!;)

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I haven't really seen much of the show to say whether I like it or not. However, I do know that Showtime will soon have a horror-tinged soap opera called "The Canyons". It's originated by "American Psycho" novelist Bret Easton Ellis. That should be interesting. Too bad I'll probably never get to see any of that either.

J.S Greer

Feel the power!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I just watched the Dario Argento offering "Pelts" last night, and I have to say that it rocked. Parts of it even had an old school giallo feel to them.

Laurawrites

Super Morbid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.laurawrites.net
horror

Hello, all.

You often have to watch "specials," like that. Anymore, it seems you have to watch the major movies, as well. Some of the great horror directors just seem to be dated, for lack of a better word. It isn't that they are "old" at all, physical age has nothing to do with it, they're just in this certain creative spot they've been there for decades, and have no interest in changing.

Sometimes, I think many more mature writers and directors often feel they have a reputation to lean on and can produce anything and it will be successful, regardless. Some are just lazy. They don't have to work so hard to find success any longer and it shows. They get rusty. It's the same for all creative outlets, though. Music, art, etc. There is a drive to see your dreams come to fruition and some hang on to it, but some lose it.

Not to mention, many of the older directors made their name from "slasher," type films and audiences are just a little disinterested in the old formulas. They've been overplayed and everyone had their own version. Unless you get into sequels, most of the popular slasher films had nothing to do with the supernatural and that's what many horror fans enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.