Please tell me about "high fives"

scrub puller

Registered
Reaction score
Yair . . .

Okay folks, could some one clue this old Australian up on the subtle place of the "high five" and how it is used and abused in (presumably) American society.

I note an author has been roundly criticized for describing such an action. What is the "issue" the ages of the incumbents, the circumstances or "other"?

I ask this because in the Australian environment a high-five between any age or sex in my experience is as natural as a hand shake.

Cheers.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I ask this because in the Australian environment a high-five between any age or sex in my experience is as natural as a hand shake.

The basic high-five and its many variations are alive and well in Oregon, USA. Earlier this week at my regular medical exam, both my physician and nurse offered palms up to be smacked for my improved numbers. I don't hate 'em for it. :greenie

I guess some reviewers are more sensitive at what may seem to be a cliché.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a Barbershop Quintet @ The Old Farts Imfirmary - They get together and sing for the "community" on Saturday nights after dinner in the Pepto Lounge a couple of times a month.

The group consists of a bunch of old poots = Chase, JB, Haggis, Porter and Cray.

They routinely hit the bar before every performance.

Yep, you guessed it - They're known as "The High Fives" :greenie

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Yair . . .

Okay folks, could some one clue this old Australian up on the subtle place of the "high five" and how it is used and abused in (presumably) American society.

I note an author has been roundly criticized for describing such an action. What is the "issue" the ages of the incumbents, the circumstances or "other"?

Could you explain the context in which a high five was criticized? Because I've never seen anyone take offense to a high five occurring, nor have I seen an author criticized for including one.

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I've missed this latest scandal too! Please explain.

Did John Green high five someone or something.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Was it one of those middle-finger-only high fives? Most people don't like that one. :rant:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Could you explain the context in which a high five was criticized? Because I've never seen anyone take offense to a high five occurring, nor have I seen an author criticized for including one.

I second this, because I'm an American, and I've never heard of a high five being offensive or inappropriate between friends.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I second this, because I'm an American, and I've never heard of a high five being offensive or inappropriate between friends.

"Well, yeah, that gator took off your right hand while you were eating a burger, then took your left hand when you tried to get it back, but at least you got away. And, hey, your fries are still warm! High fi- oh. Awkward..."

scrub puller

Registered
Reaction score
Yair . . .

Guday folks. The high five reference was on this site in a very long thread called "what do you hate about the novel you are reading" or a similar title.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers.