WWII British Army Using Illusions to Clear Villages In Italy

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Is anybody familiar with stories (true, I'm hoping) of the British army in WWII using various illusions to help clear civilians from villages in Italy?

Had a conversation with someone about this at a book event last week that I can't find any information online to back it up (it was a random passerby so I can't just track him down and ask). It came up in the context of a monster of local lore. This guy said one of the illusions sounded a bit like that monster. Specifically, he said he'd read something about this recently. It's triggered a story idea in my head, which doesn't have to really be rooted in reality, but it'd be kind of fun if it was.

Thanks!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds pretty made-up to me.

What kind of illusion could possibly be more effective than a platoon of troops walking in and saying, "Get the fuck out,"? I mean, it sounds like a whole lot of effort with a questionable payout, when you could just forcibly eject people if that's your goal. Weeks or months researching local legends, more weeks to reproduce those legends and get the populace spooked, when 90% of the time it wouldn't work anyhow. Who's going to wander off into a war zone when you have a relatively safe home and a roof over your heads simply because someone claims they saw a werewolf in the moors? "I don't know about no werewolves, but I've seen a Nazi submachinegun, so I'll take my chances, thank-you-very-much!"

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Never heard of it! As Drachen said, things were bit too harsh by the time the Allies got into Italy to be fannying about with that kind of thing.

And why would the Brits be clearing villages? According to my Grandad, who was there, they were treated like welcome guests by the Italians. In fact, one lady made my Grandad so welcome, he carried her photo in his wallet for the rest of his life.....

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
The man you're looking for is Jasper Maskylene. It was his program, i cant swear to the clearing entire villages with illusions but i have seen a program on the history channel about the subject. If that program is true they did use illusions to mess with the germans extensively. From cardboard tanks and airplanes to putting blinding lights in front so you cant see whats behind.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasper_Maskelyne

http://www.magictricks.com/war-magician.html

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I never heard of this specifically, but I was aware that fake tanks, etc. were used in some places. Make the enemy think there are three times as many attacking than there are, and the enemy will be readier to withdraw.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oh! Oh well that's different. I thought the OP meant ghosties and ghoulies and things that go bump in the night.

There's been quite a few docs about the wooden tanks and what not but I'm not sure the idea really worked.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I would be very careful with the claims about Jasper Maskelyne's war record. He made most of them up. Although.... he would make a good basis for a character in a story, I suppose.

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Oh! Oh well that's different. I thought the OP meant ghosties and ghoulies and things that go bump in the night.

This is where I was headed, actually. I know of the Ghost Army and similar programs.

Thanks for the link on Maskelyne. I don't need it to be true - that's the great thing about writing fantasy! - but it would make a neat jumping off point.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect that Drachen Jager is right. What's going to strike people as scarier than an invading army, that would cause them to flee, instead of barricading themselves safely in their homes? After all, not many monsters can bomb a village to the ground from the air.

To add to his
"I don't know about no werewolves, but I've seen a Nazi submachinegun, so I'll take my chances, thank-you-very-much!"
, I offer " The Nazis have just arrived. The werewolf has terrorized the village for years. Whether it kills the Nazis or they kill it, I say we light a candle for the victor after the blood dries."

I would think an illusion more likely to get villagers to leave their homes would be a large image of the Virgin Mary, pointing to the woods/hills/place of refuge, and saying 'Go in peace, you will be safe'.

It's the old fable of the sun and the wind, competing to get a man to take his coat off. Sometimes the gentler way wins.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Allies never cleared civilians out of villages in Italy, so the story is false. They did get Italian soldiers to surrender by air dropping leaflets that were "Tickets to Surrender."

But. it's fantasy. Write what you need.

Jeff