PDA

View Full Version : Submitting poetry work

alaktas
07-02-2015, 03:07 AM
Hello,

I am new to poetry, so obviously I'm looking to gather as much information as I can.

Once having completed writing a poem(s), does one submit their work to a literary agency, much like an author who wrote a novel would submit his/her work to a literary agency?
I know that having submitted my manuscript (novel) to literary agencies, the majority of these literary agencies state on their website, "We do NOT accept poetry, screenplays, etc......)

With that being said, I take it that there's very few literary agencies that even accept poetry to begin with?

Or are there other avenues to utilize to submit poetry, such as magazines, newspapers, poetry clubs, etc?

Thanks!

Norman D Gutter
07-02-2015, 04:52 PM
Hello alaktas. Welcome to the Poetry forum.

I suggest that, once you've made the poem the best you know how to make it, submit it to the critique forum here. See what others think. And critique a few poems yourself. It's the right thing to do and the best way to grow in your poetic abilities.

But no, don't submit poems to agents. Submit them to poetry magazines. If you want submit them to contests (though I don't recommend that). Gather as many details as you can about as many mags as you can, and start submitting.

Good luck with it all,
NDG

Stew21
07-02-2015, 05:57 PM
First, welcome.
Second, what Norman said is correct.
Finally, We have links in the sticky posts above which might answer some of your questions, and a thread there on paying poetry markets.
Check those out!