can anyone help me with these tax documents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick heads-up that your images far exceed the size allowed here, which is 400 by 400 pixels (or the same area in another shape). Big images can completely stall AW on a slow connection, and many of our members have only dial-up internet access. See http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?304595-FAQ-Image-Size-Guidelines

Consider an edit to thumbnail-sized images which can open at the hosting site when clicked upon.

Maryn

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you actually a "foreign person?" I am. (Canada). I had to fill out an online form on Amazon when I published my first novel, otherwise they'd withhold 30% and hand it to the IRS. Canada and the USA have a tax treaty, so once I filled in the form, no more withholding. Check out the online form. Quicker and easier, no postage.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
@Angry Guy: Thanks.
@Maryn: I'll remove the links.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I hope filling out that form does the trick.

Alex

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Jaus,

I'm not familiar with them, but from Angry Guy's comment, they appear to be something that the U.S. is sending out to foreigners selling books on Amazon. Amazon probably has to supply addresses of such foreigners to the IRS, and then the IRS sends out the forms. If you made let's say $50,000 from U.S. sales, the IRS would view that as income and try to collect tax on it. You're likely going to make considerably less than that and not come close to the threshold where taxes might kick in. I would see if Amazon has some information. Also do a google search and see if others are getting these forms. Of course, it could just be a scam.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to leave this here for now, but Jaus you need to realize none of us are tax pros here, and if any of us are, they aren't going to sign off on your questions. You're far better off getting your answers from a tax pro. Do not consider any advice you get from this thread as gospel. My co-mod or the Admins may decide this thread belongs elsewhere or they may decide to close it. I'll support whatever they decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.