PDA

View Full Version : A Question about a poem - discussion

Steppe
07-01-2015, 05:14 AM
This poem was published in an anthology edited by Charles Potts titled "Pacific Northwest Spiritual Poetry". The author of the poem was one Mary Heckler, published in 1946. I have searched on internet several times and cannot find other info then Potts listed in the back of book which was sparse. She was published in magazines of that time but does not come down to us as a well known poet.

I'll ask the question after the poem.

my sorrow is greater
.............................than the hills
it lives in this valley
................................I
...........shall never be able to leave them
anymore
...............than I could leave these years
......out in an autobiography
if any present friend
thinks I shall have forgotten him
......when my words are spoken
............................................. on a different continent
let that friend come to me at that time
........ to find the truth of the word by which
...................................I now call him
and should I live in this valley
.................................the rest of my life
......................I will love it always
.................for
..............of those years it can be said
I come and go with the seasons
...........and take these
notes on a natural happening

My question is - Would this poem have been any better in a recognized form like a sonnet? The same question could be asked about the sonnet.

Might not this poem be a good example of organic form?

It is my opinion that the form this poem took suited the poet and her subject. It is one of my favorite poems.

The book I mentioned above can be purchased on Amazon for under $10.

Brandt
07-01-2015, 09:44 AM
My question is - Would this poem have been any better in a recognized form like a sonnet? In short, no. It was not written as a sonnet, would require extensive reworking depending on the type of sonnet, and would be a completely different poem as a result. Better... who knows? Different... definitely, and most likely, unrecognizably so.

Might not this poem be a good example of organic form? if by organic you mean this:

the form this poem took suited the poet and her subject.

I'd agree. I'm not familiar with what an 'organic' form is Steppe, except for the inference of the word, but that sounds like a reasonable explanation to me. Of course, I don't believe that particular explanation excludes a sonnet, or any other form for that matter... whatever best suites the poem and its message/content.

just my opinion of course.