Steven Universe

shivadyne

brushing off the diamond dust
Registered
Reaction score
oh, steven universe is great!

it's obviously aimed at kids (well, duh) with some episodes that aren't plot-relevant or anything, but the characters are genuine and interesting. it also has a lot of things that most shows don't. an example would be that the crystal gems have been confirmed as nonbinary and a large part of the cast is female. the VAs are mainly WOC and there are also many POC in the show itself.

it's very diverse and fun to watch!

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I have been watching the show casually but really enjoy seeing much female variety among the protagonists. As The Nostalgia Critic's brother pointed out, they manage to make a show where diversity is seamlessly integrated unlike, say, Captain Planet.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
[SPOILERS ABOUND]

I'm not totally into it, but it's so interesting how the writers subvert gender roles.

Like -- instead of one female character in an all-male fighting team, Steven is the only male in an all-female group. And he's the most passive; he doesn't fight at all, he only heals and protects the women. The women, meanwhile, are aggressive fighters.

• Steven's love interest -- a little girl -- is becoming a knight to protect him.
  • Steven is generally more emotional, sentimental, and empathetic than the others characters.
  • He's the one who wants to talk, make peace, ect. He holds the others back.
  • He admires his mother and aspires to be like her.
  • When Steven can't cry, he becomes afraid something is wrong with him.

And the writers are really pushing the envelope when it comes to gay relationships. It's really clear that (Pearl) has romantic feelings for (Rose), and (Ruby and Sapphire) are in a relationship.

Of course... technically those characters aren't female, they're genderless asexual aliens. And technically they never lock lips on-screen. So technically, when those characters say they're in a relationship, they could mean they're platonic best friends forever. I think that's how the writers get away with it. It's not like the characters are really in a same-sex relationship, it's just heavily implied.

shivadyne

brushing off the diamond dust
Registered
Reaction score
[MORE SPOILERS ABOUND]

Of course... technically those characters aren't female, they're genderless asexual aliens. And technically they never lock lips on-screen. So technically, when those characters say they're in a relationship, they could mean they're platonic best friends forever. I think that's how the writers get away with it. It's not like the characters are really in a same-sex relationship, it's just heavily implied.

on the matter of ruby and sapphire, garnet is made from a committed relationship and the song stronger than you confirms it to be romantic in nature. i don't think there's really much implication about it.