PDA

View Full Version : When to follow up on agents

Scythe-Of-Winter
06-30-2015, 11:47 AM
So hey guys, just wanted to ask something that's been burning in the back of my head for a while now (also, if this is the wrong place, feel free to move it!)

Let's just say a certain agency, a mammoth one that's rep'd mammoth award winning authors, responded to a query I sent them requesting a partial of 50 pages. And this agency has not gotten back to me for several months now. And I'm a little hesitant to go barging in and demanding to know what happened to my partial. Again, this was 3 months ago, and I'd like to know what happened. However, I don't want to ruin anything good that's brewing.

On the other hand, I never got a confirmation email saying they'd received it. I've (rarely) had problems with my emails before, with some agents not receiving my email (I use hotmail) And my website link was in the signature of my email. Could this have marked it as spam?

Either way, as a general point of discussion, how long should one wait before following up on a partial or full? I wasn't given a length of time, and the fact that they requested the partial the day after I sent it (again, this is a mountain of an agency) shows that they were interested.

Any suggestions at all for me? And maybe some thoughts about following up and chasing agents, etc? Really appreciated!

mayqueen
06-30-2015, 04:41 PM
This will probably get moved to Ask the Agent. You should definitely browse through there because you'll find some helpful information.

If the agent didn't give you a timeframe, it's generally accepted practice to send a polite nudge email at three months. I just say something like, "On [date], you requested my manuscript [title], which I sent that day. I'm just checking in to see if you received it and are still considering it. Thank you for your time and consideration." You should be prepared to not get a response, but in my experience, I usually get a polite "still considering" email back (or an actual response -- send more or no thanks).

In the meantime, keep querying!

Scythe-Of-Winter
06-30-2015, 04:53 PM
This will probably get moved to Ask the Agent. You should definitely browse through there because you'll find some helpful information.

If the agent didn't give you a timeframe, it's generally accepted practice to send a polite nudge email at three months. I just say something like, "On [date], you requested my manuscript [title], which I sent that day. I'm just checking in to see if you received it and are still considering it. Thank you for your time and consideration." You should be prepared to not get a response, but in my experience, I usually get a polite "still considering" email back (or an actual response -- send more or no thanks).

In the meantime, keep querying!
No worries, it'll be where it needs to be!
And yeah, I should probably do that. One time I did do just that and ended up getting an agent almost taking me on, but ultimately deciding not to. But still, I'll definitely make sure I follow up. And yes, I am still querying, all these months later. It's important not to give up!

CaoPaux
06-30-2015, 06:52 PM
*transporter F/X* Moved from BR&BC.