magical gender transformation as a horror story

Kergulen

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking of writing a story where an all-American know it all/Thinks He's God's Gift to Women has a run in with a magic medallion and gets transformed into a baby-toddler girl cutie pie. Unfortunately for him, the girls and women that he's wronged seek revenge... by making him into the next Honey Boo Boo/Paisley Dickey esque toddler pageant queen.

Is it interesting to anyone?

I'd like to make it a Stephen King pastiche.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be the first to jump in and say it all depends on how well you write it. :) Presumably he screams really, really loudly when he looks in a mirror.

And hello to a new member. AW is a good place to ask questions.

Kergulen

Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully my story will be better than a bad Hollywood comedy.
Transforming this high school jock into a female toddler cutie pie, is not only a way to explore how a sexist male would cope reduced to a plaything of women - as toddlers are, given that mothers still have large control of the domestic sphere, it is also a good way to examine how baby/toddler girls are hyper feminised and cutesie pooed.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I'd like to see such a man turned into an adult women; a toddler doesn't feel the full weight of gender discrimination. Yes, discrimination starts at that age. But it is mild compared to what comes after puberty. Let him learn what it's like to be catcalled on the street. Or be paid less than male coworkers. Or try to point out an engineering failure at work, only to be drowned out for being female. Or be treated horribly while trying to play HALO online. Or feel unsafe on the street. Or not get an overdue promotion, and then a less qualified man gets it. Or deal with the entitled mentality so many men unknowingly have towards women's bodies in general. Or even the little things in life that belittles women, like people saying, "You play sports like a girl."

There are so many things about being a man men take for granted in 2015.

If written well, I'd read such a book.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Transforming this high school jock into a female toddler cutie pie, is not only a way to explore how a sexist male would cope reduced to a plaything of women - as toddlers are, given that mothers still have large control of the domestic sphere, it is also a good way to examine how baby/toddler girls are hyper feminised and cutesie pooed.

I get the feeling the women are going to be the villians in this. Is that right?

Kergulen

Registered
Reaction score
an adult has a lot more power to stop people and fight back effectively. A baby or toddler... not so much.

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
As cute/fun as the toddler aspect could be, I think it would become very boring, very quickly, or risk making the women into villains as they seek their revenge against this guy. There's only so much you can do to a toddler, and only so many scenes of dress-up and smile-pretty before the plot gets repetitive.

That story? I would more than likely not read it unless it had really great reviews.

As a teenager, or young adult woman however... the possibilities are endless, and far more educational to your jock/jerk, and definitely more interesting to me as a reader.

Kergulen

Registered
Reaction score
again, if he was transformed into a teenager or young adult he has a lot more power over the situation and can refuse to learn anything. It's a lot easier to refuse to go to the prom in a ball gown than it is to fight back when your mother has put you in a dress with strawberries on the front and you're secured in child restraints/toddler reins.

Brutal Mustang

Registered
Reaction score
Kergulen said:
again, if he was transformed into a teenager or young adult he has a lot more power over the situation and can refuse to learn anything.

Yes, but he already was a helpless toddler at some point in his life. That would teach him nothing.

Last edited:

Kergulen

Registered
Reaction score
but he did not have an adult mind when he was a real toddler. Fictionmania (https://fictionmania.tv) has a lot of stories where men and boys are turned into female children. So there is a niche for it.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
That's an erotica website. I really don't think your toddler story would appeal to the same audience.

I mean...

I HOPE you're not trying to appeal to that audience.

If you're trying to sell this as a short horror story, not a sophisticated critique on gender, I think it could work just fine. I've seen the man-turned-into-a-girl thing many times before, but only as a comedy. Horror might be a fresh new angle.

Kergulen

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, short horror story. i found that site when trying to find non erotic transgender fiction to help me in planning my writing.

Kergulen

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry if i've messed up. I was left disabled by a birth accident and I've wanted something to be my legacy.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Kergulen, it's okay, don't be so quick to disappear. Nobody here can tell you if your novel will work or won't work or whether you should or shouldn't write it (as long as it's not something that truly is a no-no like toddler erotica, which I think is what Viridian was getting at as what she hoped you weren't planning to write). However, they will tell you possible pitfalls that they might see with it, such as being worried that women are being vilified, or whether there's limited conflict within your novel, as they see it. You can use those notes in some way or ignore them completely. Nobody can tell you whether to write this book or not. But if you choose to not use the notes, just thank folks for their opinions, rather than arguing with them and allowing them to make you feel trapped. Hopefully this will help you.

Last edited:

Kergulen

Registered
Reaction score
No i wasn't planning erotica. It's just hard researching writing transgender fiction when many writers have men transformed into over sexualised glam caricatures of women.

Robert Dawson

Getting The Hang Of It
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cs.smu.ca
On the practical side - the big problem that I see is that there is no obvious way for the women to whom the protag has behaved offensively to know that Little Miss Cutesie is actually Jack Studmuffin. So if they treat LMC badly, it's because they are bad people, and might even deserve (in some sense) to have been treated badly themselves.

Some ways around this - have them responsible for the change (though the apparently-ordinary-women-are-secretly-witches trope has been overworked,) have the people treating him badly differ from the innocent ones he mistreated, or have him treated in a way that is not abusive, but feels so to somebody with the mind of an adult male.

And I'd suggest keeping it short. This feels more like a short story premise than a novel premise to me. Anstey's Vice Versa was all very well in its day but to this modern reader it outlives its humor.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
^ What Sage (thanks, Sage!) said.

There are a lot of potentially serious pitfalls in the scenario as you describe it, but if handled well, this could be a really interesting idea. The cynicism of others is that we've seen similar things done badly a lot of times, but everyone here Should Be Giving You The Benefit Of The Doubt (note mod emphasis, people) and helping you navigate that minefield. But you're the writer, so the first step is you have to start writing it. None of us are ever entirely sure an idea is going to work until we start it, even those of us who have some experience at it.

As a note, there is a little black triangle with an exclamation point in it below every poster's name in each post. When you feel a post is over the line, or aren't sure but want a moderator to look at it, click that button and report the post. There is a non-zero number of posts in this thread replying to you where IMNSHO that would have been warranted. This is much better than getting defensive, which tends to escalate things.

Also, welcome to AW. :)

Brutal Mustang

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry if i've messed up. I was left disabled by a birth accident and I've wanted something to be my legacy.

Well, what I'm trying to understand is what lesson is this guy supposed to learn? How?

Just be aware that all women have face gender discrimination, some of us more than others. Many of your potential readers will be hypersensitive because of it.

Personally, I've given an industry six years of my life. I became better at a particular job than anyone in my region. I was proficient using various machines, grinders, a forklift, and even a laser. But I was still paid equal to or less than men with drug problems who didn't know how to do their job. Why? Because I'm a woman, and the boss knew they could get away with it.

Not to mention, all the times I've said things like, "Strapping this load down like this isn't safe." Only to have some dumbass ignore me and drive off with it like that, and wind up losing a $5000 load. Why? [Sarcasm on.] Because we poor women can't possibly know about the mechanics of ratchet straps, trailers, or heavy loads.

Or when the company bought a brand new truck, the guys said, "I hope she's the first one to dent it." (I wasn't.)

Or the boss who said, "Don't lift that much, your uterus will burst." (I virtually never sustained any lifting injuries on the job, even though I was doing a good percentage of the overall shop lifting.)

Or the boss who said, "I know this amount is not much, but you don't have a wife to support like they do."

Or the guy who said, "You don't know what a circle saw is, honey, do you?" (Yes I did know what that was, asshole. The expression of blankness on my face was because you were wanting to cut a 2" diameter hole in the steel panel, when the blueprints clearly said 1.25".)

I know there are a few women on this board who have been sexually assaulted by men. Luckily, I have only once, long ago. And it was only a forceful kiss by some strange creep. But it was still terrifying.

So perhaps before you start on this story, do a lot of research about gender inequality in this day and age. Perhaps read some blogs like We Hunted The Mammoth. Your general idea has potential. Honestly, I've often longed for a Skyrim-ish magic staff that has the ability to turn a man into a women for one year. There are a few guys in this world I wouldn't mind using it on. Gosh, it'd be fun. Let the D-bags see what life's like for us women.

Hope this wasn't too long and rambly, and I hope it helps! Welcome to AW.

Last edited:

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
I apologize for my earlier comment. I thought you were trolling us.

Robert Dawson makes good points. Having the women he's wronged be the persons responsible for your MC's predicament would keep them from becoming the villains when the true villain is the MC.

again, if he was transformed into a teenager or young adult he has a lot more power over the situation and can refuse to learn anything. It's a lot easier to refuse to go to the prom in a ball gown than it is to fight back when your mother has put you in a dress with strawberries on the front and you're secured in child restraints/toddler reins.
You make a good point about toddlers not having the same level of agency as teens or adults, but my concern is that he might be too passive. The MC has to drive the story, so he can't be incapacitated for too long. That said, I'm sure there are parents on this board who can vouch that some children are very good at escaping from their cribs, car seats, etc.

Kergulen

Registered
Reaction score
It's OK. I'm interested in learning how to end up with a good story. Again, most transgender fiction I've found in my research so far has been of guys transformed into big breasted bimbo bubbleheads and caricatures of women.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed Switch - it was the first story that came to mind.

I just think if this is a man trapped in a female body nothing is going to make him a woman. Does he want to be a man again?

Last edited: