Eviction procedure for failing to keep up a rental unit

Sera Trevor

Registered
Reaction score
Setting: San Diego, CA - present day

I'm writing a story in which one of my characters eventually faces eviction. I'm not sure what I have right now is how it would really go, so any help pointing out what I've gotten wrong would be appreciated.

My MC is a total slob. He's not a hoarder, but conditions in his apartment get pretty disgusting. The property manager has given him several informal notices that he needs to clean up, but he's ignored all of them. The property manager makes one final notice: he's got 90 days to clean up his act or else he'll face eviction.

90 days seems like a long time to give someone that sort of notice, but I need that three months to tell my MC's story! It eventually culminates in him being served a formal eviction notice, after which he finally accepts that he needs help cleaning up his act. I've read that he has five days to appeal it - if he cleans up in that period, could he stop the eviction? Also, I feel like the property manager would want to inspect his apartment - can he keep her out for three months? My scenario just doesn't seem to add up. Help, please!

Dave Williams

Zappa isn't frank!
Registered
Reaction score
You can make up whatever you want, but if you want Real Life(tm), you can probably find a summary of California rental laws and any San Diego quirks with a short web search. That's Landlord 101, the bread and butter of daytime court TV shows.

Evictions are usually a clearly defined process. However, if a landlord decided to grant an extension before starting the process there shouldn't be a problem.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know the details but I think you've got one thing mixed up--"served a formal eviction notice."

A landlord doesn't and cannot serve an eviction notice. They have to go to the court to grant such a notice which will be executed by marshals okay, sheriff (not by the landlord's bouncers).

Have you checked out San Diego Court system's Landlord/Tenant (Unlawful Detainer) page?

I think for your scenario, the easiest way is landlord threatening to throw him out, then they negotiate, and eventually come to mutual agreement, all the way without actually involving the court/cops/teenage ninja turtles.

Last edited:

Sera Trevor

Registered
Reaction score
@Dave - thanks! So it seems that the property manager would be able to stop the process even after getting a court order - I wasn't sure if it was out of her hands after that.

@ironmikezero - oh, I hadn't even thought of that. That's a great detail for me to include - thank you!

Sera Trevor

Registered
Reaction score
@Bing Z - thank you for the link! The reason I wanted to get the court involved is because my MC doesn't think that the property manager is serious, considering that she's given several warnings and hasn't really done anything to follow up.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Or, you could have the building sold, or a new property manager hired? Perhaps because the current one was cutting the tenants too much slack?

Sera Trevor

Registered
Reaction score
@frimble3 - yes, that is exactly what happened. The new manager has been after my MC ever since she was hired eight months ago. Her employers really don't want her going after people unless absolutely necessary, but she finally got them to agree that my MC is a problem that needs to be dealt with.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
First question is whether the tenant has a month-to-month term or a lease, running for X amount of length. If the lease is month-to-month, then all the landlord has to do is refuse to renew the lease at the end of the month. If it is a lease, the landlord is going to need to have public health department determine the apartment is uninhabitable, and then start eviction proceedings.

Hardcore tenant in this situation, as long as he or she keeps up with the rent, can make this last for a year or more.

Personally instead of the landlord, I'd use public health. Have a neighbor complain, and the initial contacts being that the place is still habitable but just barely, with the ending being that the public health shows up with the sheriff and red tape. Apartment is declared uninhabitable and your character is thrown out and told he or she is not allowed back in. Then during the night, the tenant sneaks back in and starts getting serious about cleaning. When public health arrives the next morning, they're amazed with the progress, do some yelling, but are also willing to work with your character.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Sera Trevor

Registered
Reaction score
@jclarkdawe - Those are amazing suggestions that fit in perfectly with what I want for my story. Thank you so, so much!

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, what state? Many have laws that prevent evicting someone from their home unless there is an alternate place to go. Getting evicted for a public health violation is tough in Florida, even if the tenant hasn't paid rent. Usually, the home has to be condemned and then it is often bulldozed afterward.

Besides, the lease still rules. Many leases have a community standards clause that can begin eviction proceedings. Write this as you need it and it can easily be both legal and believable.

Jeff

Sera Trevor

Registered
Reaction score
@WeaselFire - It's San Diego. Yeah, I'm actually leaning away from the health inspector direction because after doing more research, I've determined that my character is nowhere near that terrible. This is definitely more of a community standards thing. The problem the apartment manager has is that my MC's building keeps getting infested with roaches, but she can't 100% prove that it's coming from his terrible apartment. He always pays his rent and refuses to let anyone into the place, which is perfectly legal to do (the manager tries to use the excuse of checking fire alarms, but his was already checked the month before she got in the job.) It might be funny if the manager calls the Health Department and they're like "Eh, we've seen worse."

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He always pays his rent and refuses to let anyone into the place, which is perfectly legal to do (the manager tries to use the excuse of checking fire alarms, but his was already checked the month before she got in the job.)

Pest control is a reason to need access. :)

In almost every state and every lease I've signed, management access to a unit cannot be denied, provided it is at reasonable hours and for a legitimate reason. But the real question is what you need to have happen for your story.

Jeff