PDA

View Full Version : Asking for an exclusive?

Dennis E. Taylor
06-25-2015, 09:54 PM
If an agent asks for a full and a seven day exclusive, should you be hopping up and down higher than if they just ask for a full? Or is that just a agent's personal process?

And in a case like that, are they doing anything besides just taking their time reading?

heza
06-25-2015, 10:05 PM
If an agent asks for a full and a seven day exclusive, should you be hopping up and down higher than if they just ask for a full? Or is that just a agent's personal process?

And in a case like that, are they doing anything besides just taking their time reading?

Well, knowing what some agents say their workload is like and how quickly they're able to get reading fulls, I doubt someone asking for seven days plans on taking their time. I don't know that I'd read anything special into it, though. Could be they're really excited about your project; could be they ask for exclusives on every full. You'd have to know the agent's history.

kkbe
06-25-2015, 11:05 PM

And in a case like that, are they doing anything besides just taking their time reading? Seven days isn't too long for an exclusive, I don't think. Two wks. is the limit I'd agree to.

I have mixed feelings about exclusives. On the one hand, it's kind of a nice thing to think that an agent cares enough about your novel to ask for the full, ask that you don't send it to anybody else for x amt. of time. But they are doing this for themselves. My understanding is, they don't want to waste their time reading a manuscript, considering the thing, maybe even responding with specific thoughts and suggestions, only to find out the writer has decided to go with somebody else.

But for the writer, an exclusive means one must pretty much putting his/her work on hiatus for x amt. of time. And some agencies won't even consider a manuscript if the full is out with other agencies, which means--if yours actually is--that you are basically SOL with that agency.

Like I said, one week isn't bad, and any time you get asked for the full is a good day, so. . .

Sage
06-25-2015, 11:19 PM
Most agents who ask for exclusives do so as a part of their process. I haven't heard of a 7-day exclusive, but at least it's short and sounds like it'd be responded to quickly. Of course, if you already have other subs out there, you can't grant an exclusive, but you can promise them you won't accept any offers if they come without letting them know and (for such a short exclusive, but I wouldn't offer this if it was any longer) even promise to hold off on sending any future requests out if they come during that period

Dennis E. Taylor
06-26-2015, 12:21 AM
I'm a little surprised by the implied requirement that there not be any other queries out at the moment. How could you possibly retroactively control that? My interpretation (based on my vast minutes and minutes of experience) would be not to send any more out or have "conversations" with other agents during the period. I hope.

heza
06-26-2015, 12:27 AM
I'm a little surprised by the implied requirement that there not be any other queries out at the moment. How could you possibly retroactively control that? My interpretation (based on my vast minutes and minutes of experience) would be not to send any more out or have "conversations" with other agents during the period. I hope.

Well, you can't control that. Most agents know you'll have sent out other queries and that other agents might have requested partials or fulls before they requested the exclusive (and you should respond to that effect). I think the understanding is that you won't send any more out during the exclusivity period. There's nothing you can do about what's already been sent. The agent has the choice to read or not read.

Dennis E. Taylor
06-26-2015, 08:12 PM
Got email from agent. Wants to talk to me. Sent cell number.

Permission to freak out?

Thedrellum
06-26-2015, 08:19 PM
Permission granted. CONGRATULATIONS! (I know it's not an offer yet, but still, amazing, and probably at least an R&R, so good job!)

tl;dr FREAK OUT

Dennis E. Taylor
06-26-2015, 08:51 PM
I now haz offer.

:banana::banana::banana:

StoryofWoe
06-26-2015, 09:01 PM
:nothing
Ahh, that's so exciting! Congratulations!

heza
06-26-2015, 09:15 PM
Congrats!

SBibb
06-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Congrats on the offer! :-)

Dennis E. Taylor
06-26-2015, 10:09 PM
Thanks. And now comes the fun part, where I second-guess myself, whether I sounded sane on the phone, if he's going to have second thoughts, was I appropriately appreciative... :e2smack:

He's going to send the contract next week. I won't rest easy until that's done.

kenpochick
06-26-2015, 10:25 PM
Congratulations!!

Becca C.
06-28-2015, 09:13 AM
Way to go, fellow Vancouverite! :partyguy:

moonwatch178
06-28-2015, 10:36 PM
Congrats!

Putputt
06-29-2015, 04:50 AM
Lol, I read the first post and I was like, oh wow, a 7-day exclusive? That's short! I would totally grant that! And then I read your post about getting an offer. That is super fast! Congratulations, the agent must have REALLY wanted your MS. :)

WeaselFire
06-29-2015, 07:24 AM
If an agent asks for a full and a seven day exclusive, should you be hopping up and down higher than if they just ask for a full?

99% of writers will be hopping as high as possible and as fast as possible when they receive any response from an agent that isn't "No thanks." :)

Agents are people. I've never met one that isn't actually honorable and honest, as well as they all seem to really love writers. But they are also human. Some might ask for an exclusive because they don't want to fight for work, others will ask because they think they can convince others in the agency to get on board and let them sign you. Which is probably the most common reason. Very few agents operate in a vacuum and can simply sign authors without getting others to sign off on it.

Seven days is quite reasonable. Some agents will only accept exclusive queries and still take two months to respond. If you're comfortable with the agent (and if you're not, why did you query them?) and you don't have other commitments, go ahead and grant the exclusive. Just be sure to let any other agent know.

Jeff

Jamesaritchie
06-29-2015, 05:45 PM
The real question is what kind of footprint this agent ha sin the industry? How many books has he placed, and who has he placed them with?

Jamesaritchie
06-29-2015, 05:47 PM
Very few agents operate in a vacuum and can simply sign authors without getting others to sign off on it.

Jeff

Just about every agent I've ever known could sign any writer without any approval from anyone else. I wouldn't go near an agent who couldn't.

celoise
06-29-2015, 07:07 PM
Congratulations!:snoopy:

JJ Litke
06-30-2015, 08:04 AM
Congrats, Angry Guy!

blacbird
06-30-2015, 11:50 AM
Seven days? You're concerned about seven days? Really?

caw

Dennis E. Taylor
06-30-2015, 06:36 PM
Seven days? You're concerned about seven days? Really?

caw

Not in the way I think you mean, no. I was wondering if it was "a sign." Turns out it was. ;)

Lady Chipmunk
06-30-2015, 06:44 PM
Congratulations!

lacygnette
06-30-2015, 08:58 PM
Fabulous! May the ms sell quickly!

Dennis E. Taylor
07-07-2015, 10:09 PM
Aaaaaaaaand, just got the signed contract back. I am now signed with Ethan Ellenberg.

Happy dance ensues.

:PartySmil:partyguy::banana::banana::e2drunk::bana na:

(Trips and falls flat on face. Doesn't care.)

Putputt
07-08-2015, 05:19 AM
Woooo! That is awesome! Congratulations!!!!

Viridian
07-08-2015, 05:39 AM
Wow!! Super jealous. Congratulations! You must be stoked.

Old Hack
07-08-2015, 11:03 AM
That's excellent news! A good agency, from what I know. I'm so pleased for you!

EMaree
07-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Absolutely amazing news, congratulations! :D

Thedrellum
07-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Congratulations!

mellymel
07-08-2015, 09:54 PM
Congrats!

Spleen
07-10-2015, 10:10 AM
Oh super late to the party but somehow landed on your query elsewhere in this labyrinth and thought it was awesome.
CONGRATS!!
I want to read this!!

Smiley0501
07-10-2015, 03:37 PM
Congrats!

Barbara R.
07-10-2015, 04:48 PM
Congratulations! How're you going to stay angry with news like that?

Dennis E. Taylor
07-10-2015, 06:25 PM
Congratulations! How're you going to stay angry with news like that?

Already changed my tagline :tongue

endearing
07-11-2015, 12:02 AM
Hahaha I love it. What awesome news. Congratulations, (no longer) Angry Guy! :)

Old Hack
07-11-2015, 06:38 PM
I might have to get our site admin to change your name, Mr Guy. Ha!

Dennis E. Taylor
07-11-2015, 08:25 PM
I might have to get our site admin to change your name, Mr Guy. Ha!

I think when the book gets a publisher, I'll ask to have my handle changed to my name. Kind of a celebration thing. :D

MS going to be shopped out to publishers starting Monday. What, me nervous? :eek:

Debbie V
07-13-2015, 11:29 PM
Fingers crossed for you.

Now write the next one.

Sword&Shield
07-14-2015, 10:24 PM
Congrats :) I remember your query from QLH and thought it was a unique idea.

Say Hello to John Scalzi for us. :hooray:

nighttimer
07-14-2015, 10:42 PM
I think when the book gets a publisher, I'll ask to have my handle changed to my name. Kind of a celebration thing. :D

MS going to be shopped out to publishers starting Monday. What, me nervous? :eek:

Sure you are.

When you're sitting on that couch early in the morning with Matt Laurer chatting about your book going into a fifth printing and trying to decide between the feature film or TV mini-series and all the while grinning like the cat that ate the canary, think about all the support you got from the little people.

But seriously, congratulations! :snoopy: