How to write broken English?

Raeannon

She who is me
Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I want to portray a foreign person speaking broken english. At the moment I am just making it up (Instead of 'I will go' saying 'I go' etc, but I would like to come up with a more concrete reasoning on how my character would talk.

I am interested in learning how english is formed and why certain words would be mispronounced. Would anyone have any guidelines or links to useful websites/books that might help me out?

Hope I made sense!

Thanks very much for all your help

Raeannon

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
It's going to depend on where your foreign person is from - a native French speaker will sound different struggling with English than a native Mandarin speaker will, for example.

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What is this person's native language? The syntax of the native language might affect how they parse English sentences. For example, a French or Spanish speaker might say "I have 20 years" for "I am 20 years old."

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's all dependent on their original language, and can be subtle. Things like prepositions are often confusing to people speaking a new language. Plurals can be complex, or simply a case of "one sheep, two sheep." Vocabulary is probably the easiest for people to learn, irregular grammar the hardest.

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
Ditto the above - you need to determine the native language, then look at the syntax and patterns of that language.
Depending on how "broken" you want the English - it can be a simple matter of a few mixed up words, or barely understandable phrases.
An adult who has been learning a language, but is not yet fluent, will make syntactical errors, but may also struggle expressing complex thoughts - combining the simple structures they have learned, with more complex thoughts expressed in single words, short phrases, or native language frustration.
It's a delicate balance to avoid falling into stereotype and/or offensive caricature. Try to avoid letting the language difficulty define the character, or make them seem less intelligent.
When I was writing characters who were essentially an isolated tribal society with limited knowledge of English, I turned to recorded or transcribed interviews with existing tribal populations so I could see and hear the actual patterns of their speech and how they handled English.

Last edited:

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
I'm Norwegian, English is my second language. Unfortunately I can not help you as much as a foreign speaker may do, I have spoken English for over 30 years- I have some idea of the errors a Norwegian would do (my family did them when they visited me in the UK). But "broken English" is a bit of a cliche...and depending on where the person talking it comes from, it can be offensive if you conform to stereotypes.
What you have to do is decide where your E2L* speaker is from. I am Norwegian, and have experience with Swedish and Danish. I also learned German and French at school. That's five languages that will give five answers to your question. -And that is before taking the English language proficiency level of the individual into account-

*English as Second Language

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
It's all in the ear. Either you have an ear for language or you don't. This is something you can develop, but usually it will turn out pretty clunky if your ear's not in tune.

The only way I know of to "force" it is to find someone with the accent you want (say in a film) and listen to their voice repeatedly, especially when you're editing that dialogue.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that the thing to research is how your particular characters would speak. (Unless, of course, you're just interested in how the language evolves, apart from your story needs).

Also, I'd say get it right, but then only show a touch of it. A word difference or sentence structure difference here and there gets the point across. Writing it all out exactly as it would be spoken gets very tedious to read. For those who don't know, that was the style a hundred years ago but these days it's frowned on.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Word choice, not "phonetic" spelling (please, dear God, not that). Example from a work of mine own, involving a Swedish immigrant woman in frontier 19th-century America, confronted by strangers in the night, and holding a rifle on them:

A dozen or so halting, crouching steps forward, and a tableau emerged in the gloom. It involved a figure cloaked in a dark, hooded garment, holding a rifle that wavered from pointing at something to my right to pointing at me. The figure said something I couldn’t make out, but it was, indeed, the voice of a woman. I held my hands up as high as I could manage.

At which moment Dan Jack stepped into plain view from behind a what appeared to be a fence to the right.

“My lady,” he said. “Do you speak English?”

"I speak the English much good,” she said. But she didn’t lower that rifle.

caw

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
You can also look at "ending sounds" that are appended to words which don't have them. For example, "No-la" or "of course-la"would be a very Cantonese or Singaporean way of saying (friendly tone): "You gotta be kidding, of course not!" or "Of course; why do you ask?!"

Variations might be an unintended "thank you you" or "please please".

Additionally, you might consider demonstrating concepts like time, e.g., "In the xxxx year, xxxx month, xxxx day" or "In the [country], [province], [state], [city], [borough], [district], etc."

Perhaps most telling however, is the addition of "s" to nouns or other words which do not require the letter for singular or plural. And a confusion of when to apply which pronoun -- this is particularly useful for those languages which do not contain gender-specific oral pronouns. The reverse is that of a language with distinctive pronouns, in which case, you could end up with a sentence like, "This is he saddle that her put on his horse for it."

I wouldn't say "broken English", per se; but perhaps "confused English" would be an alternative?

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You have an advantage that you are living in Ireland and it's summer, so there will be lots of EFL students that you could talk to.

Raeannon

She who is me
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much guys, you have given me a lot to think about and a good direction to go in!

It's going to depend on where your foreign person is from - a native French speaker will sound different struggling with English than a native Mandarin speaker will, for example.
What is this person's native language? The syntax of the native language might affect how they parse English sentences. For example, a French or Spanish speaker might say "I have 20 years" for "I am 20 years old."

I should have said, (and apologies I did not) that my setting is a fantasy world. If I was to parallel it to this world he would be from a South American tribe, coming to London etc. I never considered the impact of a person's native tongue on how they would learn to speak English. Makes total sense now that it was pointed out to me.

Yes, it's all dependent on their original language, and can be subtle. Things like prepositions are often confusing to people speaking a new language. Plurals can be complex, or simply a case of "one sheep, two sheep." Vocabulary is probably the easiest for people to learn, irregular grammar the hardest.

That’s good to know, I will need to brush up on my own grammar first, better to know the rules on how things work so I can know where I can break them.

Ditto the above - you need to determine the native language, then look at the syntax and patterns of that language.
Depending on how "broken" you want the English - it can be a simple matter of a few mixed up words, or barely understandable phrases.
An adult who has been learning a language, but is not yet fluent, will make syntactical errors, but may also struggle expressing complex thoughts - combining the simple structures they have learned, with more complex thoughts expressed in single words, short phrases, or native language frustration.
It's a delicate balance to avoid falling into stereotype and/or offensive caricature. Try to avoid letting the language difficulty define the character, or make them seem less intelligent.
When I was writing characters who were essentially an isolated tribal society with limited knowledge of English, I turned to recorded or transcribed interviews with existing tribal populations so I could see and hear the actual patterns of their speech and how they handled English.

I love the suggestion of reading interviews, listening to them speak, I must look it up. The last thing I want to do is make him appear less intelligent and I can see how it could easily come across that way. I more want to convey that he is a foreigner, out of place.

I'm Norwegian, English is my second language. Unfortunately I can not help you as much as a foreign speaker may do, I have spoken English for over 30 years- I have some idea of the errors a Norwegian would do (my family did them when they visited me in the UK). But "broken English" is a bit of a cliche...and depending on where the person talking it comes from, it can be offensive if you conform to stereotypes.
What you have to do is decide where your E2L* speaker is from. I am Norwegian, and have experience with Swedish and Danish. I also learned German and French at school. That's five languages that will give five answers to your question. -And that is before taking the English language proficiency level of the individual into account-

*English as Second Language

Thanks, that’s a great help. I agree with you that the broken English is a bit of a cliché and can come across in bad taste sometimes. Its exactly what I am trying to avoid.

It's all in the ear. Either you have an ear for language or you don't. This is something you can develop, but usually it will turn out pretty clunky if your ear's not in tune.

The only way I know of to "force" it is to find someone with the accent you want (say in a film) and listen to their voice repeatedly, especially when you're editing that dialogue.

I think that’s part of the problem, I do not have an ear for languages which is why I am struggling in finding his voice. I do like your idea of listening to a film while I am going over his dialogue. I think that could work well.

I agree that the thing to research is how your particular characters would speak. (Unless, of course, you're just interested in how the language evolves, apart from your story needs).

Also, I'd say get it right, but then only show a touch of it. A word difference or sentence structure difference here and there gets the point across. Writing it all out exactly as it would be spoken gets very tedious to read. For those who don't know, that was the style a hundred years ago but these days it's frowned on.

I totally agree with you there. When I first wrote his dialogue, it was in a very badly structured English. And when I read it back, it even confused me to understand what he was saying. I just want to give the slight impression that English is not his first language, that he is not from here.
As a side note, I would love to know how languages evolve, it has become a fascination of mine recently. :D

Word choice, not "phonetic" spelling (please, dear God, not that). Example from a work of mine own, involving a Swedish immigrant woman in frontier 19th-century America, confronted by strangers in the night, and holding a rifle on them:

A dozen or so halting, crouching steps forward, and a tableau emerged in the gloom. It involved a figure cloaked in a dark, hooded garment, holding a rifle that wavered from pointing at something to my right to pointing at me. The figure said something I couldn’t make out, but it was, indeed, the voice of a woman. I held my hands up as high as I could manage.

At which moment Dan Jack stepped into plain view from behind a what appeared to be a fence to the right.

caw

I love your example, it is just what I am trying to achieve. Also I most definitely want to stay away from the “phonetic” spelling. I find it might work in small amounts but I am not skilled enough yet to decide when and where to use that.

You can also look at "ending sounds" that are appended to words which don't have them. For example, "No-la" or "of course-la"would be a very Cantonese or Singaporean way of saying (friendly tone): "You gotta be kidding, of course not!" or "Of course; why do you ask?!"

Variations might be an unintended "thank you you" or "please please".

Additionally, you might consider demonstrating concepts like time, e.g., "In the xxxx year, xxxx month, xxxx day" or "In the [country], [province], [state], [city], [borough], [district], etc."

Perhaps most telling however, is the addition of "s" to nouns or other words which do not require the letter for singular or plural. And a confusion of when to apply which pronoun -- this is particularly useful for those languages which do not contain gender-specific oral pronouns. The reverse is that of a language with distinctive pronouns, in which case, you could end up with a sentence like, "This is he saddle that her put on his horse for it."

I wouldn't say "broken English", per se; but perhaps "confused English" would be an alternative?

Thanks, that really helps. I was unsure if “broken English” was the best way to phrase my question. I went back and forward between that and “Bad English”. I do like “confused English” a lot better.

Raeannon

She who is me
Registered
Reaction score
You have an advantage that you are living in Ireland and it's summer, so there will be lots of EFL students that you could talk to.

That is very true, think I need a few road trips for research purposes!

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score

That is very true, think I need a few road trips for research purposes!

Good luck with your research (and road trips :) ). That brings up another point, too - what version of English did your character learn? If he learned U.S English, then there's likely some Americanisms that they'd also notice in London.

I have the opposite situation with a Frenchwoman who learned British English, but she's in the U.S. She's around a lot of Irish people so some of that works in. There's also a lot of German immigrants and newly-arrived Italians. So I have a ton of work to do on this - also the challenge of it being historical, so you've got some accents that no longer exist (such as what Daniel Day-Lewis had to come up with for Gangs of New York). Yeah I damn well need to develop an ear and figure out not only how these characters sound, but how they sound to each other.

Also to get back to the OP - he also needs to contend with British regional/class accents that may make speakers more or less comprehensible to him.

Last edited:

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
Good luck with your research (and road trips :) ). That brings up another point, too - what version of English did your character learn? If he learned U.S English, then there's likely some Americanisms that they'd also notice in London.

I have the opposite situation with a Frenchwoman who learned British English, but she's in the U.S. She's around a lot of Irish people so some of that works in. There's also a lot of German immigrants and newly-arrived Italians. So I have a ton of work to do on this - also the challenge of it being historical, so you've got some accents that no longer exist (such as what Daniel Day-Lewis had to come up with for Gangs of New York). Yeah I damn well need to develop an ear and figure out not only how these characters sound, but how they sound to each other.

Also to get back to the OP - he also needs to contend with British regional/class accents that may make speakers more or less comprehensible to him.

oh yikes... That last point!
any strong regional dialect can make a language sound completely different...

Raeannon

She who is me
Registered
Reaction score

That is a good point, I will need to consider where he learned to speak and see how that influenced his speech. Maybe an odd phrase or such might be worth using. Not to overdo it.
Definetly don't envy your task of coming up with all those different dynamics in your book but sounds like you are on the right track of figuring it out.

oh yikes... That last point!
any strong regional dialect can make a language sound completely different...

I hadn't even thought of that! Will definetly go through and see if this can be incorporated someway too. This rabbit hole keeps getting deeper and deeper... All good though!

Raeannon

She who is me
Registered
Reaction score
I not have idea, I never learn English like in school, sorry I no able to help. You maybe can write like zis/dis with no good grammar but it look no good on resumé.

Maybe I will! thank you very much

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This language thing may be more important to you than it is to a reader.

I suggest you use simple plain correctly spelled English so the reader understands what he is reading rather than attempt to put the 'broken' aspect up front. Careful vocabulary choice is far more effective than screwed-up grammar.

If the reader knows there is a language barrier he will accept dialogue exchanges in that context without it needing to be repeatedly emphasised.

Good luck

Last edited:

Raeannon

She who is me
Registered
Reaction score
This language thing may be more important to you than it is to a reader.

I suggest you use simple plain correctly spelled English so the reader understands what he is reading rather than attempt to put the 'broken' aspect up front. Careful vocabulary choice is far more effective than screwed-up grammar.

If the reader knows there is a language barrier he will accept dialogue exchanges in that context without it needing to be repeatedly emphasised.

Good luck

Thanks so much, I think that I will head in this direction now that I consider it. I'll just make slight tweak to his language and not go overboard with it. Better to go with simple languarge instead, though I'll have to be careful not to dumb my character down along with the languard. Then as you said, the reader can then supply the rest. I really like it, thanks!

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck. By 'simple' I just meant plain and direct without forcing the vocabulary to an unnecessarily low level.

Last edited:

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
One other thought - does he read English? Because mispronunciation of place names is a great one.
Marylebone - native English speakers say "Marley-bone" - lost tourists "Mary le bone" or worse. With practice you get to recognise it. The tourists are of course correct, but out of date.
Bicester - Native English - Bister and so on.

You may also be able to get your impression over in the other characters reactions.
"You from South America?"
or "Where are you from?"

It won't be the only "tell" either. If he has just arrived his clothes may be subtly or obviously different.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com

caw

Nitpicking, but as an illustration to why it's hard to fake an accent: as a Native Swedish speaker, I cannot imagine her saying "the English". It's not at all in line with Swedish grammar and it's one of the things foreigners tend to get wrong so it reeks of "broken Swedish" to me. If I read that, it'd definitely jar me out of the story.

"Jag talar mycket bra engelska" would be "I speak (possibly talk, we don't have that distinction and talk is closer to "tala" but he used speak in his question so she probably would too) much good English". Just as broken, but in an authentic way.

ETA: lots of people today would say "Jag talar engelska bra" which would be "I speak English much good" but the correct way is "jag talar engelska väl" which would be "I speak English much well". Not 100% sure what she would be more likely say (probably depends on where she's from) but I think "väl" might have been more natural for a 19th century person as I think "bra" is a more modern use in that phrase. But it is just as correct to say "bra engelska" = "good English" and avoid the complication altogether.

Just as a demonstration why it's hard to write a E2L speaker in a way that convinces people who speak the language in question.

Last edited:

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
You know what you could do? Say your character is Polish... you could write the dialogue in normal English, then get someone to translate it into perfect Polish.

Then, find a Polish speaker who isn't perfect at English, and get them to translate the Polish into English.