• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Buddy? I'm happy to start with yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonS

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to work with a few authors willing to exchange beta efforts.

I've just started drafting book 4 of an ongoing thriller series. The protagonist is a African American woman assassin who morphs into an avenging angel dealing with some of the wrongs visited on the people of the hood where she comes from. Intended to be an escapist beach read, the books are on the short side, typically around 60,000 words. There is violence (she shoots people - but only when they deserve it or to move the story along). There is profanity - the f-bomb and other niceties enriching the prose are sprinkled throughout. The MC is quite liberated and sexually active so there is a lot of innuendo sex, but alas, no graphic sex scenes.

If you have something ready now, or soon, I will be happy to do a critique of your work while my current WIP is in process. My WIP should be ready for beta in about six to eight weeks.

What I'm not looking for: Not editing for grammar, not for missed words or run-on sentences. Those things will be cleaned up in copy edit, or before. I want to be told where the story lags, or isn't believable, or the focus is too much on a particular character, or where the reader is bogged down or has become lost in too much detail or too many minor characters - well, if a sentence is ridiculous, like this one, you might point it out. Things like, when I wrote a particular person came to the rescue of a damsel in distress, but it was impossible because that hero was in jail at the time (book two).

I'll be glad to send you a couple opening chapters of the earlier books so you can see a sample of my writing.

jon56780

Not from Craggy Island
Registered
Reaction score
Having let a few keen readers at my manuscript and being in the process of agent acquisition (aka form letter rejection), Beta reading is something I am now considering. That said, I am a little cautious about critiquing an entire novel as i know it takes a fair bit of time to do properly. I would certainly like to read a couple of your chapters to see if i like the style and feel i could give useful feedback. i could send you the first few chapters of mine to let you do likewise.

If we both think its a runner then we can take it from there.

JasonS

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds good. Contact me at drjasonstanley [at] gmail [dot] com I'll send you a few chapters.

KatieRoman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a critique partner myself. Preferably a long-term partner not just for my current WIP, but also for future works. However, any critiques are helpful. I'd love to trade opening chapters and see if it's a good fit. So far your WIP sounds interesting.
If you'd like to drop me a line my email is [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.