What's the protocol in this siutation?

goofy06

Registered
Reaction score
Several years ago, I had an agent for a non-fiction book. He was, sadly, unable to sell it. At the time I had no other work to put with him, so we fell out of contact. (It's been 6 years, now.) Anyway, now I've written a novel and I know it's a type that he/his agency reps. I'd like to query him, but I'm not sure how to word it. Should I just go in cold like a new writer (which would mean not querying him directly as he is not open to queries; I'd have to submit to one of the other agents in the agency.)

Or is there a polite way to email him directly and ask him if he'd like to look at this novel? Should I say something like, "I was your client several years ago, now I've got a novel, may I query you?" Or should I just go ahead and send the query directly to him, even though he's not open to unsolicited submissions, and preface it with, "I was your client several years ago, here's my query."

What kind of "in" if any do I have with this agent? Would I still be considered a client who can skip the submission email address and go straight to his inbox, or should I act like a new prospective client, query the agents that are open to queries, and maybe just preface things with, "Your agency repped "project x" for me several years ago..."

Or would I be better off to call, explain all of this to the receptionist and see if she can clear the way? I'm so confused.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Six years isn't such a long time - he would recognize your name, no? Assuming your last experience with him ended amicably, if I were in your shoes, I'd consider this a business connection that is appropriate for revival under the circumstances. I would send an email directly to him. It would say, in effect, Dear Bob, I know it's been a while since "Title of Book" but I still appreciate how hard you worked on my behalf. I hope all is well you with you. I wanted to let you know that I recently completed a novel "Title of Book" that I think, from our past conversations, might be of interest to you. [query pitch, short and sweet- first five pages of manuscript included below] I would certainly understand if you were unable or unwilling take this on, but I would like very much to work with you again, if that's possible. Regards, goofy06"

(To be completely truthful, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably pick up the phone and call him, but that assumes the two of you had a relationship when you were working together where phone calls were routinely exchanged.)

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Several years ago, I had an agent for a non-fiction book. He was, sadly, unable to sell it. At the time I had no other work to put with him, so we fell out of contact. (It's been 6 years, now.) Anyway, now I've written a novel and I know it's a type that he/his agency reps. I'd like to query him, but I'm not sure how to word it. Should I just go in cold like a new writer (which would mean not querying him directly as he is not open to queries; I'd have to submit to one of the other agents in the agency.)

Or is there a polite way to email him directly and ask him if he'd like to look at this novel? Should I say something like, "I was your client several years ago, now I've got a novel, may I query you?" Or should I just go ahead and send the query directly to him, even though he's not open to unsolicited submissions, and preface it with, "I was your client several years ago, here's my query."

What kind of "in" if any do I have with this agent? Would I still be considered a client who can skip the submission email address and go straight to his inbox, or should I act like a new prospective client, query the agents that are open to queries, and maybe just preface things with, "Your agency repped "project x" for me several years ago..."

Or would I be better off to call, explain all of this to the receptionist and see if she can clear the way? I'm so confused.

If you were his client, then you definitely have an "in." It means he obviously thought your writing was good enough to try to sell. I would email directly and say, "I was your client several years ago, now I've got a novel, may I query you?" I think that would be the best, safest way to go, in my opinion. Not too cocky, but confident enough that he'll be curious to see what you have now. Good luck!

newauth

Registered
Reaction score
Assuming your last experience with him ended amicably, if I were in your shoes, I'd consider this a business connection that is appropriate for revival under the circumstances. I would send an email directly to him. It would say, in effect, Dear Bob, I know it's been a while since "Title of Book" but I still appreciate how hard you worked on my behalf. I hope all is well you with you. I wanted to let you know that I recently completed a novel "Title of Book" that I think, from our past conversations, might be of interest to you. [query pitch, short and sweet- first five pages of manuscript included below] I would certainly understand if you were unable or unwilling take this on, but I would like very much to work with you again, if that's possible. Regards, goofy06"

This is the best suggestion, I think. You know & have worked with this person. If you do want him to rep your new novel, i.e., you do still have faith in his abilities to sell and/or you are interested in working with his agency, then you must start with him at this particular agency. And the above is the best way to start, imo as well.

The worst thing he can do is not respond. The best case is that he'll ask for a full. The expected case is that he will forward your request to everyone who represents your genre in the agency. In all 3 cases, you have nothing to lose, only something to gain! :)

Irrespective of anything, though, you should make sure your submission materials are the best you can make them BEFORE querying, i.e., don't burn your chances with this agent or agency. If I were you, I would send test queries to other agents (in other agencies) to see if you get any partial/full requests before querying this particular agent (that's a great way to tell whether you're ready or not).

The BIGGEST MISTAKE you can make at this point is resting on this great "in" and not working your ass off to make your submission materials the v. v. v. best they can be. That would hurt you in the short-term and the long-term. If this is your debut novel, then getting an agent quickly is not as important as making sure your novel is the best it can be.

Last edited:

goofy06

Registered
Reaction score
This is the best suggestion, I think. You know & have worked with this person. If you do want him to rep your new novel, i.e., you do still have faith in his abilities to sell and/or you are interested in working with his agency, then you must start with him at this particular agency. And the above is the best way to start, imo as well.

The worst thing he can do is not respond. The best case is that he'll ask for a full. The expected case is that he will forward your request to everyone who represents your genre in the agency. In all 3 cases, you have nothing to lose, only something to gain! :)

Irrespective of anything, though, you should make sure your submission materials are the best you can make them BEFORE querying, i.e., don't burn your chances with this agent or agency. If I were you, I would send test queries to other agents (in other agencies) to see if you get any partial/full requests before querying this particular agent (that's a great way to tell whether you're ready or not).

The BIGGEST MISTAKE you can make at this point is resting on this great "in" and not working your ass off to make your submission materials the v. v. v. best they can be. That would hurt you in the short-term and the long-term. If this is your debut novel, then getting an agent quickly is not as important as making sure your novel is the best it can be.

Heh. You think like me! I've already sent out "test balloons" to several other agencies (I'm up to 17, I think). I've had one full request that was ultimately rejected as, "Not for me," one, "You're a very talented writer and I enojyed your submission however, I'm not the best agent to represent books based on mythology as I don't know enough about it to advocate for it," and one "I really love this idea and your sample chapters however, YA fantasy is unsellable right now so my advice is to wait a few years and try again. However, if you have something "realistic" I would be happy to take a look at it." So there's been positive response. Of course, there's also been the expected chirping of crickets from some quarters, too.

Another question for you all. What would you put in the subject line of any email I might send? I don't want to put "query" in there because he's closed to queries and I'm afraid it would get deleted unread. But I also hate to put something like, "Question from a former client.." I don't know. I can't come up with anything that doesn't seem too awkward.

newauth

Registered
Reaction score
What would you put in the subject line of any email I might send? I don't want to put "query" in there because he's closed to queries and I'm afraid it would get deleted unread. But I also hate to put something like, "Question from a former client.." I don't know. I can't come up with anything that doesn't seem too awkward.

If he's closed to queries, then you shouldn't start with "Query" in the subject line. Also, I would not put "former client" in the subject; if he worked with you & tried his darndest to sell your book & is a respectable agent, then he will remember you by name. I would go with "Greetings again, this time with a novel". Or "We meet again—time for my novel?". (The 2nd one is kinda hokey, but you get the idea.)

Last edited:

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Well what did your agency agreement say? If he reps book-by-book, that's one thing - but many agents rep AUTHORS and have open-ended agreements. In other words - if that's the case, then you still ARE his client. Did you actually "break up" or did you just never write to him because you didn't have a new book?

Agree with NewAuth - it is not exactly a QUERY in this situation, I'd write assuming that he will know your name and be pleased to hear from you.